Exposition In A Busy Street. Beautiful

Started by bben15, January 21, 2014, 07:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bben15

A Capuchin friar, along with a few fellow friars, decided to expose the Blessed Sacrament on a busy street. It is beautiful how many people decided to kneel before Him.

Only question is: Should the friar have worn a humeral veil during the Benediction? What he did is still beautiful and amazing. It just seems strange that he didn't use a humeral veil.

Bonaventure

If this was a flash mob, then some of the people would be told to come to the event. He didn't go there solo.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Penelope

Not to be a contrarian, but I think that Eucharistic flash mobs are a pretty terrible idea, for a few reasons. First, they open up the Lord to abuse and disrespect. This isn't a Eucharistic procession around the block of a church or chapel with lots of the Faithful around to offer protection. This is holding the Lord up in a single location and forcing people to don't necessarily know what's going on to react to what they see. Some are bound to react disrespectfully, intentionally or not. Some may even try to damage the monstrance or worse--too risky. Second, it reduces Eucharistic Adoration to a mere trend. Flash mobs are a trendy, youth-oriented, entertainment-based phenomenon, and our Lord is worth so much more than that. We ought to give Him more dignity. Third, I'd be irritated if someone brought out the Eucharist in front of me and I didn't have a veil or hat ready, which I wouldn't if I were just running errands or something.

Daniel

Quote from: Penelope on January 21, 2014, 08:20:26 PM
Not to be a contrarian, but I think that Eucharistic flash mobs are a pretty terrible idea, for a few reasons. First, they open up the Lord to abuse and disrespect. This isn't a Eucharistic procession around the block of a church or chapel with lots of the Faithful around to offer protection. This is holding the Lord up in a single location and forcing people to don't necessarily know what's going on to react to what they see. Some are bound to react disrespectfully, intentionally or not. Some may even try to damage the monstrance or worse--too risky. Second, it reduces Eucharistic Adoration to a mere trend. Flash mobs are a trendy, youth-oriented, entertainment-based phenomenon, and our Lord is worth so much more than that. We ought to give Him more dignity. Third, I'd be irritated if someone brought out the Eucharist in front of me and I didn't have a veil or hat ready, which I wouldn't if I were just running errands or something.
I'm with her.

Penelope

Quote from: Daniel on January 21, 2014, 10:14:36 PM
Quote from: Penelope on January 21, 2014, 08:20:26 PM
I'm with her.

Let this be a lesson to you, then, Dan. Always have your chapel veil ready.  ;)

Kaesekopf

Bben, I think the intentions here are right, but the enacting is just God-awful, and possibly offensive.

First, everything Penelope said.

Second, mustn't Christ be covered by a baldachinno for public processions/displays? 

Third, I don't think this is the proper way to do it.  Perhaps they could have organized a large procession through the center they are at, but to do this, just seems....  absolutely and terribly wrong.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bonaventure

Good intention, but tacky, and the priest cannot even vest properly.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

VeraeFidei

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 21, 2014, 11:01:31 PM
Bben, I think the intentions here are right, but the enacting is just God-awful, and possibly offensive.

First, everything Penelope said.

Second, mustn't Christ be covered by a baldachinno for public processions/displays? 

Third, I don't think this is the proper way to do it.  Perhaps they could have organized a large procession through the center they are at, but to do this, just seems....  absolutely and terribly wrong.
Baldacchino - that would be impressive ;)

This is what a baldacchino is

In any case, however, I am with Penelope, although I'll leave the veiling to Mrs. VeraeFidei and just hope there would be somewhere to hang my hat!