Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Is it feasible for us to set up some sort of system in which people who are concerned about not having people to pray for their souls at death, could have the forum informed so that we could pray about it here?  Perhaps in some sort of child board of the Prayer subforum?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Jayne on December 21, 2021, 12:38:49 PM
Is it feasible for us to set up some sort of system in which people who are concerned about not having people to pray for their souls at death, could have the forum informed so that we could pray about it here?  Perhaps in some sort of child board of the Prayer subforum?
I don't understand the bold. Are you referring to SD users?
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Jayne

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 21, 2021, 12:55:22 PM

Yes.  A situation of this sort came up in the Prayer subforum recently.  A forum member mentioned concerns about not having people to pray for his soul at death.  So I am wondering if there could be a way to use the forum for this.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Jayne on December 21, 2021, 12:58:17 PM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 21, 2021, 12:55:22 PM

Yes.  A situation of this sort came up in the Prayer subforum recently.  A forum member mentioned concerns about not having people to pray for his soul at death.  So I am wondering if there could be a way to use the forum for this.
I would suggest that he makes friends or babies. Or perhaps bequeath an endowment to a traditional monastery/convent for the purposes of saying prayers for his soul.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Kaesekopf

The only hard part is informing the internet about your death, I suppose ? 

I'm willing to add such a system, if it requires little work from me!  ;)

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jayne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 21, 2021, 03:25:01 PM
The only hard part is informing the internet about your death, I suppose ? 

I'm willing to add such a system, if it requires little work from me!  ;)

Normally, one should have an executor for one's will.  One could leave instructions for the executor (or anyone trustworthy, I suppose) to send an email to you in the event of one's death.  Then you could inform the forum and perhaps include some links to appropriate prayers for the dead.

I sure hope that there are not so many people dying that this makes a lot of work for you. :o

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on December 21, 2021, 03:37:53 PMNormally, one should have an executor for one's will.  One could leave instructions for the executor (or anyone trustworthy, I suppose) to send an email to you in the event of one's death.  Then you could inform the forum and perhaps include some links to appropriate prayers for the dead.

Wouldn't it be easier for the executor to get the login credentials and make a post on their client's behalf?

That wouldn't create any work for anybody besides the ones who are already dealing with it.

The forum prayer group could also have their own general prayers for the departed as well. It is not necessary to pray for individuals by name.

I sure hope that there are not so many people dying that this makes a lot of work for you.

The number of people on this forum is equal to the number of future dead people who used this forum.

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 21, 2021, 03:48:03 PM
The number of people on this forum is equal to the number of future dead people who used this forum.

Well momento mori to you too.

LausTibiChriste

Basically what you're suggesting is a form of a Purgatorial Confraternity, nést pas?

I like it, and it's hugely beneficial.

We could make a sticky post referring people to Rorate Caeli's Purgatorial Society (though I think they only accept names of deceased...hard to submit your name once yer toast) and the Purgatorial Society from Papa Stronsay (which is totally awesome)
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Miriam_M

The vast majority of today's traditional Catholics represent a minority of believers or practitioners within their own families.  I don't think it's particularly logical to assume that those who pray for us after our deaths will issue from our own birth families.  It certainly won't be true for me and for most of those on this forum I have corresponded with.

People who pray for the deceased are devout Catholics with a regular prayer life.  It's much more about that than about personal relationships, although the latter is helpful as an extra incentive for those who typically pray for the poor souls anyway.

Also, for those of us who were raised trad, we were taught to pray for all the suffering souls, and particularly for those who have no one to pray for them.  Thus -- again -- devout Catholics all over the world pray for suffering souls.  A way to ensure or hope for a more personal level of commitment is to get known in one's chapel or parish.  By getting known I simply mean attending and sharing your name, especially with the priest.  Priests regularly remind parishioners to pray for deceased parishioners, by name, and they do so in bulletins as well as from the pulpit.

TerrorDæmonum

Forum improvement suggestion: work required from admin: moderate effort.

I suggest that a new membergroup be made for those who explicitly agree to hold themselves to a high standard of posting for access to The Sacred Sciences board and read only access be given to all others.

Violation of those standards (the basic description of the board) would result in exclusion from that membergroup.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 21, 2021, 04:34:08 PM

I suggest that a new membergroup be made for those who explicitly agree to hold themselves to a high standard of posting for access to The Sacred Sciences board and read only access be given to all others.

Violation of those standards (the basic description of the board) would result in exclusion from that membergroup.
People got upset over this idea a few months ago [emoji38]

But the continued misuse of the subforum DOES need resolution

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 21, 2021, 04:35:47 PM
I saw. I've been reading mostly for the time.

But, people who lack self-awareness to just post without restraint should not complain that they are not allowed to post. It isn't like they are banned or their posts are removed or edited.

QuoteBut the continued misuse of the subforum DOES need resolution
Board specific moderator appointed who has shown care in not abusing the forum and which would respect the original intent of the board when it was first created and who tries to use it as intended?

Jayne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 21, 2021, 04:35:47 PM
Quote from: Pæniteo on December 21, 2021, 04:34:08 PM

But the continued misuse of the subforum DOES need resolution

I think this way of doing it addresses much of the objections.  People seemed especially upset at the idea that someone was going to judge their "worthiness" to be a member of the subforum.  This avoids that by making it up to posters to make the necessary agreement.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on December 21, 2021, 04:40:52 PM
I think this way of doing it addresses much of the objections.  People seemed especially upset at the idea that someone was going to judge their "worthiness" to be a member of the subforum.  This avoids that by making it up to posters to make the necessary agreement.

And they can appeal the decisions, by showing how their posts were semi-scholarly. The latest one would be a good candidate...exactly how does that kind of post align with the board's description?

I'd be interested in seeing those people defend themselves.

What bothers me the most is the endless baiting. It takes effort to compile citations, check drafts, and then avoid compromising one's own position, but not responding to the rampant inanity and off topic posting takes even more effort sometimes.

I'd rather look through Aristotle manually trying to find a citation than have to deal with posts that are just inviting pithy retorts.

I'm not naturally serious. That was something that took effort and practice. I'm naturally quite impish.