Nick Sandmann files $250 million lawsuit against Washington Post

Started by mikemac, February 20, 2019, 08:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

TheReturnofLive

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

red solo cup

It would be nice to see the press held accountable for once. They can and do ruin innocent people's lives. But the press do seem to be able to go right up to the line without crossing it when it comes to libel or slander. I hope the lawsuit is a major headache for them, but I don't think it will be successful.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

mikemac

Quote from: Heinrich on February 20, 2019, 09:16:01 PM
Didn't know file was that big.

[img width=700]img.jpg[/img]

Something like that would make Stonewall smaller.  Space then 'width=700'.
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

Philip G.

I am always shocked by the amount of money people can and/or try to sue for.  If it is too much, I would say he picked the wrong lawyer.  I think its too much.  But, maybe I am wrong.  I have never been cast as the face of evil on mainstream media for two weeks straight.   
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Gardener

No one is ever awarded the full amount, and even if they are they never get it, and unless the side being sued realizes they have a watertight case against a loss, they will invariably settle.

Because of the nature of lawyer fees (unless the settlement includes that as an addendum, or the Judge orders it), taxes, etc., it's often necessary to sue for a ridiculous amount so that the settlement amount is viable for the reason it was gone after in the first place.

In this case, this could have a lifetime effect, regardless of innocence, on his ability to have a good career, or even a good personal life, lost wages and earning potential, etc. His name is out there. He's the racist MAGA kid. Is he really? No. But in the court of public opinion this kid is potentially screwed for life. Any HR check will turn up articles about him. Given search algorithms and the ability of search engines to shift results in a particular narrative might mean that in 20 years the only results are the original articles and not the truth. Into the trash goes his resume. Or, the manager who interviews him searches his name. If he has 2 prospects, and one hasn't been the face of racist evil, who do you think he will choose?

All a man has is his name. Detraction is bad, but calumny, which this was, is way worse.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Gardener

Quote from: Gardener on February 21, 2019, 03:42:06 PM
No one is ever awarded the full amount, and even if they are they never get it, and unless the side being sued realizes they have a watertight case against a loss, they will invariably settle.

Because of the nature of lawyer fees (unless the settlement includes that as an addendum, or the Judge orders it), taxes, etc., it's often necessary to sue for a ridiculous amount so that the settlement amount is viable for the reason it was gone after in the first place.

In this case, this could have a lifetime effect, regardless of innocence, on his ability to have a good career, or even a good personal life, lost wages and earning potential, etc. His name is out there. He's the racist MAGA kid. Is he really? No. But in the court of public opinion this kid is potentially screwed for life. Any HR check will turn up articles about him. Given search algorithms and the ability of search engines to shift results in a particular narrative might mean that in 20 years the only results are the original articles and not the truth. Into the trash goes his resume. Or, the manager who interviews him searches his name. If he has 2 prospects, and one hasn't been the face of racist evil, who do you think he will choose?

All a man has is his name. Detraction is bad, but calumny, which this was, is way worse.

I should also mention that a lot of times the high amount is punitive for the party being sued as much as it is a way to assist the injured party.

It additionally serves as a warning to others (be they individuals or organizations) against such behavior.

In the case of Nick Sandmann and the Washington Post, et al., it could force "news" outlets to actually research before reporting.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

mikemac

Source

james03

QuoteI should also mention that a lot of times the high amount is punitive for the party being sued

Awarding punitive (criminal) fines in a civil court is unconstitutional (due process) as the Plaintiffs are denied a Criminal Defense.  This is a big problem in American Courts.  In a just legal system you'd look at the kids lifetime wage loss, personal impact, legal fees, etc... and just pay him that amount.  The real number for all of the defendants combined would be around $10MM.

That being said, we didn't make the rules.  This is the first lawsuit.  After they go after the actors, CNN, NYT, Diocese of Covington, etc..., the amount will be in the billions.  This will never go to court as all parties will try to settle this.  Imagine being the defense attorney and hearing the plaintiff read the Twitter post of feeding a boy into a wood chipper feet first.  Go Get Them Nick!
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Carleendiane

Quote from: Philip G. on February 21, 2019, 03:21:50 PM
I am always shocked by the amount of money people can and/or try to sue for.  If it is too much, I would say he picked the wrong lawyer.  I think its too much.  But, maybe I am wrong.  I have never been cast as the face of evil on mainstream media for two weeks straight.   

Yep. "Most punchable face."
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Prayerful

That's what Jeff Bezos of Amazon paid for it. Still, it isn't as appalling as Carlos Slim's rag The New York Times[/url]. Its report on Church abuse is less mendacious.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

VeraeFidei

Quote from: james03 on February 24, 2019, 05:39:50 PM
QuoteI should also mention that a lot of times the high amount is punitive for the party being sued

Awarding punitive (criminal) fines in a civil court is unconstitutional (due process) as the Plaintiffs are denied a Criminal Defense.  This is a big problem in American Courts.  In a just legal system you'd look at the kids lifetime wage loss, personal impact, legal fees, etc... and just pay him that amount.  The real number for all of the defendants combined would be around $10MM.

That being said, we didn't make the rules.  This is the first lawsuit.  After they go after the actors, CNN, NYT, Diocese of Covington, etc..., the amount will be in the billions.  This will never go to court as all parties will try to settle this.  Imagine being the defense attorney and hearing the plaintiff read the Twitter post of feeding a boy into a wood chipper feet first.  Go Get Them Nick!
Would be cool if the plantiff steadfastly refused any settlements. Maybe he would not win a trial, but it would be potentially insightful for many to watch the establishment media and their lawyers lie through their teeth on the stand.