Spending a Day on Earth 200 Million Years Ago

Started by Vetus Ordo, May 10, 2019, 10:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Spending a Day on Earth 200 Million Years Ago

"200 million years ago the Earth was a very different place. In this video I explain what would it be like to spend a day on this ancient Earth."

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX0-WwpyCIE[/yt]
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

Vetus, this is the best piece of science fantasy you've posted yet!

ChristusRex

99% of life on Earth 200 million years ago went extinct?

So everything we see today 'evolved' from 1% of the remaining life? What a farce.

The Lord our God from tree doth reign

GloriaPatri

Quote from: ChristusRex on May 10, 2019, 12:14:38 PM

So everything we see today 'evolved' from 1% of the remaining life? What a farce.

And yet you believe that all human beings, with all of their genetic and phenotypical variations, are descended from a Middle Eastern man and his three sons approx. 4500 years ago  ::)

ChristusRex

Quote from: GloriaPatri on May 10, 2019, 01:29:18 PM

And yet you believe that all human beings, with all of their genetic and phenotypical variations, are descended from a Middle Eastern man and his three sons approx. 4500 years ago  ::)

When did I say that?

As to the bolded part, of course I believe that! Adam and Eve are the first humans God created and everyone alive today descended from them. That's Catholic dogma.

As far as how long ago the first humans were created, I have no idea.

The theory of Darwinian evolution is just that, a theory!

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: ChristusRex on May 10, 2019, 02:26:59 PM

When did I say that?

As to the bolded part, of course I believe that! Adam and Eve are the first humans God created and everyone alive today descended from them. That's Catholic dogma.

In all fairness, an established scientific theory is never "just a theory."
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

GloriaPatri

When did I say that?

You don't even know what the word "theory" means when used by scientists...a theory is a explanatory model that is supported by empirical evidence. You're confusing that with the word "hypothesis" which is used by scientists to indicate an explanatory model that has not yet been shown to be supported by empirical evidence.

As to the stament I made above, you didn't have to write it out on the forum...it's part of traditional Church doctrine that the Flood wiped out all humans save Noah and his family approximately 4500 years ago. That is, of course, utterly refuted by the observable world around us. There is no evidence for such a global catastrophe, nor is there even enough water on this Earth to cause such a thing in the first place.

Heinrich

Quote from: GloriaPatri on May 11, 2019, 09:34:42 AM

When did I say that?

You don't even know what the word "theory" means when used by scientists...a theory is a explanatory model that is supported by empirical evidence. You're confusing that with the word "hypothesis" which is used by scientists to indicate an explanatory model that has not yet been shown to be supported by empirical evidence.

As to the stament I made above, you didn't have to write it out on the forum...it's part of traditional Church doctrine that the Flood wiped out all humans save Noah and his family approximately 4500 years ago. That is, of course, utterly refuted by the observable world around us. There is no evidence for such a global catastrophe, nor is there even enough water on this Earth to cause such a thing in the first place.

You poor, prideful, and deluded soul. :pray2:
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Vetus Ordo

There is no evidence for such a global catastrophe, nor is there even enough water on this Earth to cause such a thing in the first place.

It seems there were two sources of water in the Flood: the great deep and the windows of heaven (Gen. 7:11). We can reasonably infer that it was not just the water in the oceans and normal rainfall. We could probably assume other sources of water trapped underneath the earth and a water canopy of some sort above.

For those who find this matter interesting, I'd recommend the following two articles:

1. Where did the water come from?

2. Where did the Flood waters go?

ChristusRex

When did I say that?

What a disgrace.

Are you even Catholic?

Heinrich

Quote from: ChristusRex on May 11, 2019, 01:29:05 PM

When did I say that?

What a disgrace.

Are you even Catholic?

He has a history of conceited postings like this. While I don't know if he claims to be Catholic, I deduce from his posting style that he could be on the autism spectrum.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Vetus Ordo

Resorting to ad hominem jabs against Gloria Patri does little to further the discussion or to foster any sort of mutual understanding. It's also a fallacious argumentative strategy in and of itself.

His correction of ChristusRex' inaccurate conception of theory when applied to a scientific explanatory model of reality was spot on, for instance.

Heinrich

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 11, 2019, 02:20:10 PM
Resorting to ad hominem jabs against Gloria Patri does little to further the discussion or to foster any sort of mutual understanding. It's also a fallacious argumentative strategy in and of itself.

His correction of ChristusRex' inaccurate conception of theory when applied to a scientific explanatory model of reality was spot on, for instance.

You support a heretic? I used the subjunctive, not the indicative. This means it is mud free.

ChristusRex

The Deluge is a historical FACT.

I won't retract my previous statement.

This is a traditional Catholic forum and the man's name is GloriaPatri. Denying the infallible Word of God is not Catholic and it detracts from God's due glory.

It is disgraceful. Why are defending this?

Sempronius

Quote from: ChristusRex on May 11, 2019, 04:41:21 PM
The Deluge is a historical FACT.

I won't retract my previous statement.

This is a traditional Catholic forum and the man's name is GloriaPatri. Denying the infallible Word of God is not Catholic and it detracts from God's due glory.

It is disgraceful. Why are defending this?

I enjoyed watching this, but to be fair, the man that supported the biblical account seemed to be a professional in debates. The other scientists werent used to talking in public and they didnt managed to get out their arguments in a convincing way.

[yt][/yt]