Should Catholics reject modern medicine?

Started by Chestertonian, August 27, 2021, 02:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Fr Schneider on his blog posted a list of other medications that, like the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, were tested on HEK293 cell lines

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/throughcatholiclenses/2021/01/if-any-drug-tested-on-hek-293-is-immoral-goodbye-modern-medicine/

The other drugs include:

Tylenol/acetaminophen
Advil/Motrin/ibuprofen
Aleve/naproxen sodium
Aspirin
Sudafed
Benadryl
Sudafed
Claritin/loratidine
Dextromethorphan/Tussin/Robitussin
Guafenisin/Mucinex
Tums
Maalox
Colace
Exlax
Preparation H
Sudafed PE
Lidocaine/Lidoderm
Omeprazole/Prilosec
Albuterol
Losartan/metoprolol/lopressor/valsartan
Atorvastatin/Lipitor
Levothyroxine/synthroid
Hydroxychloroquine/Plaquenil
Ivermectin
Azithromycin/Zithromax
Remdesivor
Enbrel
Metformin/glucophage
Cerivastatin/Fluvastatin/pravastatin
Simvastatin/Zocor

And that's just some of the most commonly used medications.  Why is it that trads seem fixated on vaccines tested on HEK293 but not other pharmaceutical products?  I know it's a bit more common among trads to embrace "natural" remedies and avoid using medication but what I tend to see is that many turn to conventional medicine if the natural stuff isn't enough. 

Obviously I'm not one of said Catholics... I got vaccinated as soon as I could.  But many Catholics I know have jumped on the antivax train even though they're not specifically anti medicine

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

The majority of those drugs are actually lifesaving and without ethical alternatives.
this page left intentionally blank

Prayerful

The COVID jab appears to do nothing for most, and it positively dangerous for some. The list above are often provide the only chance to the gravely ill.

That said the LC priest has a point. His list is only partial and it also includes a lot of commonly used products. HEK-293 has been used for testing and developing a vast array of treatments. Fr suggests encouraging a move away from it.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

diaduit

Not a problem for me to avoid those as there are alternatives for them.

I took my Dad off Lipitor for his cholesterol and literally overnight (not literally like a surfer dude uses but literally in the real sense) his cognitive function improved unbelievably to the point that he shocked everyone for months after with how he was doing.

I fixed my 15 year low blood pressure problem with hawthorn tincture.

I am having great success with my breathing allergies with homeopathic remedies.

oh and btw hydroxychloroquine is on the market for over 60 years, HEK cells are only used since 1972 and I find it funny that the 3 actual worthwhile cures for covid are on this list....I looked very briefly at some of the published material and they were experiments carried out not by the makers of the drug or the inventors but research teams who were testing these products for other reasons in last 15 years....long after the development of the product.  Its like I form a research team to test sudafed using hek cells to see if they turn the tablet pink, that does not make sudafed immoral or culpable ....I am open to correction on that but it was a brief look.

Fr Schneider is as covid cult as you can get.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: diaduit on August 28, 2021, 01:37:05 PM

I took my Dad off Lipitor for his cholesterol and literally overnight (not literally like a surfer dude uses but literally in the real sense) his cognitive function improved unbelievably to the point that he shocked everyone for months after with how he was doing.

I am having great success with my breathing allergies with homeopathic remedies.

oh and btw hydroxychloroquine is on the market for over 60 years, HEK cells are only used since 1972 and I find it funny that the 3 actual worthwhile cures for covid are on this list....I looked very briefly at some of the published material and they were experiments carried out not by the makers of the drug or the inventors but research teams who were testing these products for other reasons in last 15 years....long after the development of the product.  Its like I form a research team to test sudafed using hek cells to see if they turn the tablet pink, that does not make sudafed immoral or culpable ....I am open to correction on that but it was a brief look.

Dear DIADUIT, :seeya:

I miss seeing you around the forum, like in the past!
I bet you are glad now, that you got those chicks & goat, right? ;)

Do you know the reason/cause behind the low blood pressure?

I have read that it can often be due to dehydration....

One of the things that I dislike about doctors & pharmaceuticals, is that they never try to find the reason, why you have this or that, just pop a pill to mitigate the problem, not solve the underlying issue.

Thanks in advance!

God Bless you & your loved ones! :pray2:

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Ragnarok

For me, the only medicine worth skepticism (worth skepticism, not rejecting them) are antidepressants (especially SSRIs). Many Psychiatrists view depression as an economic equation with chemicals that need to be balanced, rather than something in your life causing it. You should be skeptical.

The Curt Jester

I think you have to realize that the push-back is also about government forcing people to take medications they don't need.  So it's two things combined which makes it much more likely that people will resist.  There would probably be more resistance to Claritin if the government suddenly said that we couldn't go into grocery stores until we could prove that we have been taking it daily for at least a week.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Miriam_M

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on August 27, 2021, 02:26:45 PM
The majority of those drugs are actually lifesaving and without ethical alternatives.

In my case this is literally true for easily 5 on the list.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

oh and btw hydroxychloroquine is on the market for over 60 years, HEK cells are only used since 1972

I hadn't even noticed this, but your post is the most important one here.  This omission invalidates his point completely.

The jabs were tested on aborted children in order to bring them to market.

Many of these drugs were tested on aborted children after they had already been on the market for decades.

If a man can't spot the difference, I would question his judgment.
this page left intentionally blank

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 28, 2021, 03:53:12 PM
"Aspirin"? Developed from HEK293?

I think they're including drugs that have been tested on fetal cells. Which is hard to avoid, sadly.

Some drugs, like the J&J and AstraZeneca shots, are developed using the fetal cell lines. Others are simply tested using them. And such tests can be done decades after a drug is first developed and used, as is the case with asprin. It's kind of like the whole animal testing debate -- you'd be hard pressed to find a product where nothing in it was ever tested on animals, as a lot of the basic ingredients have been, at some point or another.

Personally, I haven't taken anything on that list in a decade or more, but not due to any awareness of how they're tested. (I have a LOT of allergies, enough that it isn't wise for me to take any vaccines whatsoever as any new substance is a significant risk -- I've had two severe reactions to two very different vaccines and was told not to get anymore shots in the future.)

The Novus Ordo types make a distinction between the J&J that was developed using the fetal cells and the ones where it was simply used in testing. I can understand that, though there are such significant health and safety issues with the mRNA shots that I think it's within anyone's right to use their God given decision making to avoid it, even if it might be permissible under the principle of double effect to use it. And, considering the risks, the whole double effect argument starts to break down a bit, especially for the young and healthy. Even if the mRNA shots had no ethical issues as relates to abortion, I would still be unwilling to accept a dose, just based on the safety profile. (And that would be true even if I didn't have a history of adverse reactions.)

And of course I agree with others who point out that this injustice was done in order to market the product, rather than being done after the fact.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

diaduit

Quote from: Christe Eleison on August 28, 2021, 02:05:19 PM

Dear DIADUIT, :seeya:

I miss seeing you around the forum, like in the past!
I bet you are glad now, that you got those chicks & goat, right? ;)

Do you know the reason/cause behind the low blood pressure?

I have read that it can often be due to dehydration....

One of the things that I dislike about doctors & pharmaceuticals, is that they never try to find the reason, why you have this or that, just pop a pill to mitigate the problem, not solve the underlying issue.

Thanks in advance!

God Bless you & your loved ones! :pray2:

Ah thank you darlin'  but I've been having a ball over the summer up and down to our holiday mobile in Co Clare so I've been busy...low bp came from my second pregnancy and never left when the baby left :) drinking water can help but its a quick fix/short term.   I take Hawthorn when I feel the signs of low bp such as dizziness or fuzzy thinking and sometimes heart flutters.

Prayerful

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 28, 2021, 03:53:12 PM
"Aspirin"? Developed from HEK293?

Yes I don't think Bayer went to some back street abortionists to get cells for developing their medication in the late 19th century. Fr Schneider LC has a patreon. I'm surprising a priest of that wealthy cult needs extra funds, although in fairness most priests, unless they're from a wealthy family, have very little. Although with LC and Opus Dei, money generally flows upwards only. Perhaps his autism makes him a bit dogmatic on the matter, for I don't think Big Pharma are cutting cheques for him. Yet HEK293 is very widely used, and can be unavoidable.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Lynne

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on August 28, 2021, 06:01:34 PM
oh and btw hydroxychloroquine is on the market for over 60 years, HEK cells are only used since 1972

I hadn't even noticed this, but your post is the most important one here.  This omission invalidates his point completely.

The jabs were tested on aborted children in order to bring them to market.

Many of these drugs were tested on aborted children after they had already been on the market for decades.

If a man can't spot the difference, I would question his judgment.

This is why you don't read Pathos...very poor website.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"