Hypothetical "Roman" Orthodox?

Started by drummerboy, September 17, 2023, 09:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

Just a hypothetical question or scenerio: if the main tenant if the Orthodox Church is the rejection of Petrine Primacy and Papal Infallibility, couldn't a Roman Catholic be a Roman Orthodox?  They would accept the bishop of Rome as just that, an equivalent of the Metropolitan of Moscow, and Constantinople, etc.  And accept the Roman practice as just part of how the Church grew in that culture?
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

drummerboy

Or would this be the Old Roman church's stance?

Kent

Quote from: drummerboy on September 17, 2023, 09:58:45 AMJust a hypothetical question or scenerio: if the main tenant if the Orthodox Church is the rejection of Petrine Primacy and Papal Infallibility, couldn't a Roman Catholic be a Roman Orthodox?  They would accept the bishop of Rome as just that, an equivalent of the Metropolitan of Moscow, and Constantinople, etc.  And accept the Roman practice as just part of how the Church grew in that culture?

This is called western Orthodoxy. Same principles of divergence as the eastern Orthodox, but western customs of expression (eg the discontinued Sarum and Gallican liturgical rites, among others). I don't know that much about it but from looking into it once, I developed the impression that western Orthodoxy doesn't date back to the great schism. Seems mostly to originate from various disaffected Catholics at relatively arbitrary points in history, which Catholics eventually would "enter communion with" the Eastern Orthodox.

These people have nothing to do with sedevacantism or sedevantists, as they reject the dogma of papal primacy altogether. Sedevacantists accept this doctrine, but reject the legitimacy of the recent claimants to the Roman See. Very big difference.
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: drummerboy on September 17, 2023, 09:58:45 AMJust a hypothetical question or scenerio: if the main tenant if the Orthodox Church is the rejection of Petrine Primacy and Papal Infallibility, couldn't a Roman Catholic be a Roman Orthodox?  They would accept the bishop of Rome as just that, an equivalent of the Metropolitan of Moscow, and Constantinople, etc.  And accept the Roman practice as just part of how the Church grew in that culture?

In reality, the differences between our two churches are far, far more nuanced than anyone likes to admit.

Latins will harangue about divorce, Purgatory etc without bothering to understand the Orthodox position.

Likewise, Orthodox will harangue about the Filioque, Papal Supremacy etc. without bothering to get into the nuances.

Drummerboy - to address your original question. I feel that pre-Vatican I the issue of Papal Primacy would be far down the list of issues. Only after VI and VII did the issue of the Papal office become such a "massive" issue.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Michael Wilson

The above stance is historically known by the group that called themselves "Old Catholics".
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

drummerboy