Crossing the US/Canada border near to Montreal. How much time will it take.

Started by Greg, April 22, 2024, 09:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

I'm planning to go to New York for our 25th wedding anniversary as I have clients to see in late September early October and we are going to leave our children at home as the youngest one will be 9 years old.  Probably be there for a week.

I am thinking 2 or 3 days in New York meeting new clients, then 1 or 2 days in Vermont to see the leaves changing colour (something I have never seen) then I have a choice between going to Niagara Falls (a fairly hard 8 hour drive from Vermont) or up to Montreal, Canada which is a much easier drive.

Does anyone know what crossing that US/Canada border by car is like given that I will have 1 or 2 nights in Montreal then have to come back again. Am I letting myself in for a world of delay?

I am considering a one way hire in the USA as this use to be cheap and easy to do and taking a train back from Montreal or Niagara.  Is that still viable.  I assume that if I leave the car in Canada the hire car company will charge me a lot more money for the one-way fee.

My other option is just to go to Las Vegas from New York as my wife likes it.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

I crossed driving from Montreal-Burlington-Montreal back in 2018. It was January though, but it was very easy.

The only issue was because my wife was on a visa with a Russian passport, they made us pullover and she had to pay some $12 fee and get some piece of paper stapled into her passport. But other than that, it was a very easy and smooth process.

We had a great time in Burlington, lovely town. And Montreal is fantastic...best city in Canada by a mile.

Edit: Just to clarify, that visa paper issue was entering the US
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

AlNg

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 22, 2024, 11:03:19 AMAnd Montreal is fantastic...best city in Canada by a mile.

Montreal is fantastic, but so is Vancouver.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: AlNg on April 22, 2024, 12:36:54 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 22, 2024, 11:03:19 AMAnd Montreal is fantastic...best city in Canada by a mile.

Incorrect.

Vancouver is a shithole

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Mushroom

I stayed in Montreal for two nights on separate occasions and it was so-so, I took the bus and Uber. I did wish I did more tourism and visited the churches because I heard they have some beautiful ones. I prefer walking around Toronto (not living there) tbh but I think it's because I spent way more time there compared to other cities. Winnipeg is very run-down, I think because they're constantly having flooding problems.

Greg

Ok, thanks, I will go to Montreal in that case.  I thought it might be a pain in the rear.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

AlNg

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 22, 2024, 01:04:58 PM
Quote from: AlNg on April 22, 2024, 12:36:54 PM

Incorrect.

Vancouver is a shithole
I liked Vancouver when I was there. Anyway I read some recent public statistics on homelessness in a few places:
Vancouver  4821 homeless
Montreal  10,000 homeless
Los Angeles  75,518 homeless.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Greg on April 22, 2024, 03:53:40 PMOk, thanks, I will go to Montreal in that case.  I thought it might be a pain in the rear.

I think you would be astounded at how poorly maintained the roads are in the United States.  If I were you, regardless of where I'm going, I would just fly.
this page left intentionally blank

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on April 23, 2024, 07:27:55 AM
Quote from: Greg on April 22, 2024, 03:53:40 PMOk, thanks, I will go to Montreal in that case.  I thought it might be a pain in the rear.

I think you would be astounded at how poorly maintained the roads are in the United States.  If I were you, regardless of where I'm going, I would just fly.

Just wait until he gets to Montreal

(Greg - Montreal roads are shit as is traffic. I recommend driving to the hotel, keeping the car there and using metro/taxis to explore the city while there)

- MaximGun

Greg

I've visited every US state by car.

Roads are rubbish but I hate airports even more.  I like stopping in small towns, eating steak, seeing the world go by.

The Curt Jester

Once in awhile you encounter a good road in the US.  They usually last a year or two.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"