Why can't we throw cursed items into the garbage?

Started by Daniel, April 16, 2021, 05:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

I believe Fr. Ripperger has said that if we happen to own a cursed or possessed item, then we are supposed to destroy it with fire and then throw the remains and ashes into a stream or river (but not a pond or lake, since the water needs to be flowing... not sure why).

What I'm wondering is, why can't we just throw the intact item into the garbage?

Also, what about items that we're not sure about? Supposedly demons can make their way into any item that's been misused so long as God allows the demon to do so, even if no witch has ever formally put a hex on it through a ritual. So if we've misused something, how do we know if it has become cursed? If it doesn't show any signs of being cursed, is it ok to hold onto it (or throw it away in the garbage)? Or must we burn it, just to be safe?

edit - And what if the item is made of metal or clay or some other material that can't be destroyed by fire?

Melkor

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

TandJ

Michael Wilson

There is a danger if an object has a curse on it, then if anybody fishes it out of the trash and wears it or takes it home, they may be struck with the curse. There is a history of a whole convent of nuns in France in the 17th. C. That became possessed by someone throwing a rose with a curse on it inside the convent garden; a nun picked it up and the whole convent became possessed. It was only during the exorcism that it was revealed why the convent had suffered this.
If it can't be destroyed, then put it into a trash bag with the ordinary trash, as there is little or no danger of this falling into someone's hands.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

red solo cup

Water that moves, stream or river, is the biblical Living Water. Christ's metaphor for the Holy Spirit. Jews believed that only Living Water could wash away sins as in a ritual bath.
non impediti ratione cogitationis