Was ++Lefebvre the first Superior General of a religious order to resign?

Started by Geremia, May 29, 2019, 11:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

From Apologia pro Marcel Lefebvre vol. 1 ch. 3
QuoteIndeed, I suffered terribly. Imagine if I had remained with the Holy Ghost Fathers where, in theory, I should have stayed until 1974. I could have stayed until 1974 as Superior General. I had been named for twelve years in 1962. But I submitted my resignation in 1968 and, in fact, I was glad to do so, because I did not want to collaborate in the destruction of my congregation. And had I remained Bishop of Tulle, I cannot very well imagine myself at present in a diocese of France! In an environment like that, I should probably have had a nervous breakdown!
Besides ++Lefebvre, have any other Superior Generals of religious orders ever resigned?

Catholic-hierarchy.org's entry for the Holy Ghost Fathers lists him as the most recent of its ordinaries. They didn't elect a new Superior General to succeed him?

Sempronius

Just above ++Lefevbres name:

Louis Le Hunsec, C.S.Sp. † (26 Jul 1926 Appointed - 26 Jul 1950 Resigned)

Geremia

Quote from: Sempronius on May 29, 2019, 12:07:59 PM
Just above ++Lefevbres name:
Louis Le Hunsec, C.S.Sp. † (26 Jul 1926 Appointed - 26 Jul 1950 Resigned)
Louis Le Hunsec says he died "Superior General Emeritus", but Marcel-François Lefebvre doesn't say ++Lefebvre held the title "Superior General Emeritus".
Thus, Louis Le Hunsec died a Holy Ghost Father, but was Marcel-François Lefebvre, upon his resignation as Superior General, excommunicated from the Holy Ghost Fathers?
To whom is a Superior General Emeritus obedient, anyways? What happens to their vow of obedience?