Fr. Rosica Sues Catholic Blogger

Started by Jayne, February 19, 2015, 03:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

http://www.lepantoinstitute.org/uncategorized/fr-rosicas-ironic-lawsuit/

QuoteSo, if every Catholic priest has an obligation, by virtue of his ordination, to be a victim, and if refusing to do so is tantamount to refusing to take up his cross, what does this say about a priest who files a lawsuit against a lay critic? Such is the case of Vatican Spokesman, Fr. Thomas Rosica, who recently filed a lawsuit against David Domet, author of the Canadian-based blog, "Vox Cantoris."  Can any priest, claiming to emulate the victimhood of Our Blessed Lord, truly be living his vocation as a victim by suing a blogger for criticizing his public statements?  Now, this is not to say that a priest may never defend himself, but as a victim, he has an obligation to assume a very humble role, striving for the good of the sheep, as opposed to himself.

I know both of these men, so this is pretty interesting for me.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Lynne

What do you mean, you know them? Have you met them or have you read their blogs/publications?  :)

I know of Father Rosica and have read Vox's blog...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Lynne on February 19, 2015, 03:57:47 PM
What do you mean, you know them? Have you met them or have you read their blogs/publications?  :)

I know of Father Rosica and have read Vox's blog...

Saame question
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Jayne

I have met both of them in person and talked to them.

Kaesekopf

I think the editorializing of the snippet is dumb. 

By that mentality,  no priest should defend himself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jayne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 19, 2015, 04:17:53 PM
I think the editorializing of the snippet is dumb. 

By that mentality,  no priest should defend himself.

Yes, I would have preferred an account of the situation with more facts and less opinions.

Jayne

So my search for a less opinionated source turned up the Wikipedia article on Fr. Rosica:

QuoteOn February 18th 2015, it was reported on churchmilitant.tv that Fr. Thomas Rosica had issued threat of lawsuit against David Domet[2], of the Catholic blog "Vox Cantoris". In the document[3] issued from Folger, Rubinoff LLP, Domet is accused of having made false and defamatory statements about Rosica. David Domet has been critical of the outspoken and progressive positions of Fr. Thomas Rosica on church affairs. If a lawsuit does come to fruition, it would be an unprecedented action for a Vatican official to bring litigious action against a private citizen and member of the church for expressing a critical opinion of the Vatican hierarchy. The document from Folger, Rubinoff LLP, demands that nine statements, made by Domet, be retracted from the blog and a public apology to Rosica must be posted. It also notes that compliance with a retraction and apology will not remove the threat of litigation, but will merely reduce alleged damages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Rosica

And if anyone wants to look at Mr. Domet's blog and come up with your own opinions: http://voxcantor.blogspot.ca/

Miriam_M

Whatever.

I'm waiting for someone in the Church going public to dispel this myth:

QuoteOn March 18 at Loyola University Maryland, Fr. Rosica gave his comments on "the uniqueness of Pope Francis and his amazing impact on the Catholic Church and the world in just one short year," at an event called "The Francis Factor."  In his comments, Fr. Rosica proclaimed, "We need the Francis revolution of tenderness and mercy now more than ever before."

This pope needs to stop implying that he is assigning credit to himself for what Jesus Christ the Lord did for the world by His Cross and Resurrection.   And so do all the pope's self-assigned PR men.

Pope Francis has NOT created "a revolution of tenderness and mercy."    Please.  Just stop it already with A-Myth-A-Minute.

Mercy has always been abundantly and infinitely available to all sinners who turn way from their sin and toward God.  Francis has not made it "more" available.  That's just sheer heresy.  It deceives people into connecting mercy with Francis rather than with God.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jayne

Quote from: Miriam_M on February 19, 2015, 04:43:33 PM
This pope needs to stop implying that he is assigning credit to himself for what Jesus Christ the Lord did for the world by His Cross and Resurrection.   And so do all the pope's self-assigned PR men.

Pope Francis has NOT created "a revolution of tenderness and mercy."    Please.  Just stop it already with A-Myth-A-Minute.

Mercy has always been abundantly and infinitely available to all sinners who turn way from their sin and toward God.  Francis has not made it "more" available.  That's just sheer heresy.  It deceives people into connecting mercy with Francis rather than with God.

This is a very good point, Miriam.  Thank you.

Miriam_M

Lynne

Jayne

I found this section disturbing:
Quotehese guys are just telling us the way things are, to them.  After a long interregnum of 35 years when they had to be somewhat cagey about their ambitions to remake the Church into a church of man, for man, worshiping man (I'm not saying the pontiffs of 1978-2013 were totally hostile to that vision, but they toned some excesses down while encasing others in the stone of long, approved practice), they have apparently felt liberated like no time since the mid-70s.  They are telling us who they are, who they think we are, and what they think they have accomplished, or very nearly have. And Vox is right, in this new paradigm, faithful Catholics are the dissenters.  They seek to put us outside the Church, while installing their errors, heresies, novelties, abuses, etc., as the normative, required belief and practice of the Church.

Anyone who lived through that trial of 1965-1980 or so knows that is exactly how things were portrayed back then.  Back then, to be a faithful Catholic who desired the Traditional Latin Mass and doctrinal cohesiveness (with the past) was to open oneself up to harsh rebukes and claims of even being a "heretic" or unfaithful.

verenaerin

Quote from: Jayne on February 19, 2015, 05:13:39 PM
I found this section disturbing:
Quotehese guys are just telling us the way things are, to them.  After a long interregnum of 35 years when they had to be somewhat cagey about their ambitions to remake the Church into a church of man, for man, worshiping man (I'm not saying the pontiffs of 1978-2013 were totally hostile to that vision, but they toned some excesses down while encasing others in the stone of long, approved practice), they have apparently felt liberated like no time since the mid-70s.  They are telling us who they are, who they think we are, and what they think they have accomplished, or very nearly have. And Vox is right, in this new paradigm, faithful Catholics are the dissenters.  They seek to put us outside the Church, while installing their errors, heresies, novelties, abuses, etc., as the normative, required belief and practice of the Church.

Anyone who lived through that trial of 1965-1980 or so knows that is exactly how things were portrayed back then.  Back then, to be a faithful Catholic who desired the Traditional Latin Mass and doctrinal cohesiveness (with the past) was to open oneself up to harsh rebukes and claims of even being a "heretic" or unfaithful.

This is true from what my Mother says. That's why when the MP came out and said the TLM was never abrogated, it was such a huge deal. Because this is what they were told for so long.

Parresia