Is Confession from a Norvus ordo priest valid?

Started by Warwick, October 01, 2018, 05:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: Heinrich on October 23, 2018, 08:26:33 AM
Quote from: Sophia3 on October 22, 2018, 11:41:11 AM
I think your worries are more than justified. I have heard some pretty wonky stuff from friends who have gone to confession to Novus Ordo Priests.
I would avoid it. Where do you live? Maybe someone knows a better option for you.

Where do you go to Confession, Sophia? I try to go to my FSSP priests, but if I flounder and needs ASAP, I go to the Catholic Center at Citadel Mall. I forget the order of priests who are there.

OFM Cap. They sit in there from 10am - 8pm every day except for bathroom breaks, a quick lunch, and Mass.

Last time we went to confession there, I had finished my penance and was praying before the large icon of St. Francis. I was holding Eamon and asked St. Francis to pray for me to be more like him. Not more than 5 seconds had the words left my lips, Eamon proceeded to pull my beard, head-butt me, and slap me with glee; one of our toilets had to be snaked, and the snake got caught, so I was up to my elbow in poop water to get it unstuck; Genevieve was born not too many days after, and since then I have had it fall on me to do a lot of the cleaning of the dining room and kitchen after dinner so K can tend to Genevieve and the boys for night time routine.

Not really about confession, just St. Francis' sense of humor. :D
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Gardener on October 23, 2018, 08:54:13 AM
I think your worries are more than justified. I have heard some pretty wonky stuff from friends who have gone to confession to Novus Ordo Priests.
I would avoid it. Where do you live? Maybe someone knows a better option for you.

Where do you go to Confession, Sophia? I try to go to my FSSP priests, but if I flounder and needs ASAP, I go to the Catholic Center at Citadel Mall. I forget the order of priests who are there.

OFM Cap. They sit in there from 10am - 8pm every day except for bathroom breaks, a quick lunch, and Mass.

Last time we went to confession there, I had finished my penance and was praying before the large icon of St. Francis. I was holding Eamon and asked St. Francis to pray for me to be more like him. Not more than 5 seconds had the words left my lips, Eamon proceeded to pull my beard, head-butt me, and slap me with glee; one of our toilets had to be snaked, and the snake got caught, so I was up to my elbow in poop water to get it unstuck; Genevieve was born not too many days after, and since then I have had it fall on me to do a lot of the cleaning of the dining room and kitchen after dinner so K can tend to Genevieve and the boys for night time routine.

This is why I make it a point to never pray for humility or patience  :P

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Gardener on October 23, 2018, 08:54:13 AM

;D  ;)

Elizabeth

Quote from: Warwick on October 14, 2018, 07:38:11 PM
Does  it  ever happen  that  NO priest  wouldn't  consider something a sin that  a TLM priest would? Leaving  some if my sins unabsolved?
YES, tragically.  Grave mortal sin at that.  However, there are N.O. priests who do not condone mortal sins whatsoever. 

Gardener

If he doesn't consider something a mortal sin, is his problem. If he gives the absolution, you're good. Absolution extends to both venial and mortal sins (though confession is not per se necessary for remission of venial sins).

There is also the problem of people with scruples making things into mortal sins which are not. As Fr. Jackson, FSSP has said on the subject, "You don't get to make up sins."
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

spasiisochrani

Although the indicative form (I absolve you) is normative in the Latin Rite, the Eastern Churches (unless influenced by Latin practice) use a passive form.  For example, here is the traditional Byzantine formula:

God, through Nathan the prophet, forgave David his sins; and Peter shedding bitter tears over his denial; and the adulteress weeping at his feet; and the publican and the prodigal son. May this same God, through me, a sinner, forgive + you everything in this life and in the life to come. And may you stand uncondemned before His awesome judgment-seat, for His Name is blessed forever and ever. Amen.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Gardener on October 23, 2018, 02:43:25 PM

If he doesn't consider something a mortal sin, is his problem.

Let's be even more thorough:  If the penitent knows or senses strongly that a past act was a mortal sin, it's on the penitent's conscience to confess it as accurately as possible.  Although some priests have occasionally read souls, and a certain priest (Padre Pio) regularly read souls, we cannot rely on a confessor, known or unknown to us, well trained or not, to identify our mortal sins for us.  The Church places the responsibility in the hands of the individual penitent.  After we do our job, then it is out of our control if we get bad advice in the confessional, bad commentary, etc.  The mortal and venial sins attached to that confession are still forgiven.

I just make it a point to try to get to a reliable alternate confessor if my own trad confessor is not available, given variable experience with those alternates.

Gardener

Quote from: Miriam_M on October 25, 2018, 04:52:46 PM
Quote from: Gardener on October 23, 2018, 02:43:25 PM

If he doesn't consider something a mortal sin, is his problem.

Let's be even more thorough:  If the penitent knows or senses strongly that a past act was a mortal sin, it's on the penitent's conscience to confess it as accurately as possible.  Although some priests have occasionally read souls, and a certain priest (Padre Pio) regularly read souls, we cannot rely on a confessor, known or unknown to us, well trained or not, to identify our mortal sins for us.  The Church places the responsibility in the hands of the individual penitent.  After we do our job, then it is out of our control if we get bad advice in the confessional, bad commentary, etc.  The mortal and venial sins attached to that confession are still forgiven.

I just make it a point to try to get to a reliable alternate confessor if my own trad confessor is not available, given variable experience with those alternates.

"...and many other sins that I do not recall" handles, I'd think.

I suppose the problem would be if the priest says there is no matter for the Sacrament and refuses absolution due to lack of matter.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Gardener on October 25, 2018, 05:43:18 PM

That's why I said this:

The mortal and venial sins attached to that confession are still forgiven.
;)

Quote from: Gardener on October 25, 2018, 05:43:18 PMI suppose the problem would be if the priest says there is no matter for the Sacrament and refuses absolution due to lack of matter.

And that also has happened to some of us.

Gardener

Quote from: Miriam_M on October 26, 2018, 12:52:58 AM
Quote from: Gardener on October 25, 2018, 05:43:18 PM

That's why I said this:

The mortal and venial sins attached to that confession are still forgiven.
;)

Quote from: Gardener on October 25, 2018, 05:43:18 PMI suppose the problem would be if the priest says there is no matter for the Sacrament and refuses absolution due to lack of matter.

And that also has happened to some of us.

I've only had it happen once, when I was still single. FSSP priest refused absolution due to lack of matter. I'd basically been awake 2 days, barely eaten, studying my tail off for a class. Instead of absolution he asked, "When's the last time you ate?" His advice was to go eat and take a nap. :)