Culloden

Started by red solo cup, June 01, 2018, 04:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Nicely portrayed events on Drumossie Moor. The Stuarts last chance to regain the English throne and the battle that broke the power of the Highland clans forever. Considering that it was made in '64, very well done...better that a lot of more modern videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW8bhB5oxQI&app=desktop
An interesting side note: The guy who directed this also directed a movie called War Games that was banned for a while in England as being to gruesome.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Greg

"I like winners" - Donald Trump.

Basically the Jocks, and particularly the Paddys, are a disorganised drunken bunch of failures.  They are far better off in the Union.

Neither nation could ever get its sh!t together.  Meanwhile, England to the South, despite lacking Catholicism, managed to build a Navy and take over half of the world and administer the entire thing bloody well.

A tiny little island nation.  Which has had FAR more historical and cultural impact than the Krauts, or the Frogs, or the Wops or the Wogs and even the Degos.  No wonder my Russian wife is proud to hold a British passport.

Do business anywhere in the world now and you do it in English.  The contract is in English and the airport signs, internet, hotel room instructions are all in English too.

We are bloody marvellous.  The Yids think they are God's chosen people, but based on recent history I reckon it is the British.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Serviam

Yeah, well...still lost the Cod Wars.
With fear and trembling work out your salvation.

mikemac

Quote from: Serviam on June 02, 2018, 04:19:19 AM

... plus this list of former colonies Afghanistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica, Egypt, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Israel, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lesotho, Libya, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nauru, Newfoundland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe and soon to be Scotland.  This list may not reflect recent changes.

Yeah marvelous, just simply "phucking" marvelous.  :rofl:
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

clau clau

Interesting.  Did you notice that Greg?  The Sutherlands sided with the English (see 17:00 in the video above).
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

mikemac

The Sutherlands weren't Scots.  The progenitor of the Clan Sutherland was Flemish by the name of Freskin, one of a ruthless group of warlords who were employed by the Norman kings to pacify "their" new realm after the Norman conquest of England.  David I of Scotland who was brought up in the English court, employed such men to keep hold of some parts of "his" kingdom and granted to Freskin lands in West Lothian.  This was what was called in Scottish history the Davidian Revolution, where in the 12th century David gave land that didn't belong to him to foreigners.  We often hear about clan wars, well this was the reason for many of them.  Some "Scottish" clans are not even Scots, including some others that are mentioned at 17:00 into the video.  The Jacobite rising of 1745 that ended with the battle of Culloden did not just start out of thin air in 1745.  It was the culmination after centuries of struggle against a foreign born entity that coveted the land of Scotland.
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

red solo cup

Quote from: mikemac on June 02, 2018, 10:38:34 AM
The Sutherlands weren't Scots.  The progenitor of the Clan Sutherland was Flemish by the name of Freskin, one of a ruthless group of warlords who were employed by the Norman kings to pacify "their" new realm after the Norman conquest of England.  David I of Scotland who was brought up in the English court, employed such men to keep hold of some parts of "his" kingdom and granted to Freskin lands in West Lothian.  This was what was called in Scottish history the Davidian Revolution, where in the 12th century David gave land that didn't belong to him to foreigners.  We often hear about clan wars, well this was the reason for many of them.  Some "Scottish" clans are not even Scots, including some others that are mentioned at 17:00 into the video.  The Jacobite rising of 1745 that ended with the battle of Culloden did not just start out of thin air in 1745.  It was the culmination after centuries of struggle against a foreign born entity that coveted the land of Scotland.
I seem to remember mikemac, a story you told me when we were on Fisheaters,  about the song Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond. It was written by a Jacobite taken prisoner at Culloden. Is that correct?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on June 02, 2018, 12:54:13 AM
"I like winners" - Donald Trump.

Basically the Jocks, and particularly the Paddys, are a disorganised drunken bunch of failures.  They are far better off in the Union.

Neither nation could ever get its sh!t together.  Meanwhile, England to the South, despite lacking Catholicism, managed to build a Navy and take over half of the world and administer the entire thing bloody well.

A tiny little island nation.  Which has had FAR more historical and cultural impact than the Krauts, or the Frogs, or the Wops or the Wogs and even the Degos.  No wonder my Russian wife is proud to hold a British passport.

Do business anywhere in the world now and you do it in English.  The contract is in English and the airport signs, internet, hotel room instructions are all in English too.

We are bloody marvellous.  The Yids think they are God's chosen people, but based on recent history I reckon it is the British.

And you beat the Germans without any help from anyone.  Twice. :cheeseheadbeer: Someone hold me up! The historical power is trans emitting shock waves, AAaaaah!
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

mikemac

Quote from: red solo cup on June 02, 2018, 11:26:31 AM
I seem to remember mikemac, a story you told me when we were on Fisheaters,  about the song Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond. It was written by a Jacobite taken prisoner at Culloden. Is that correct?

Yeah I remember that legend of the origin of the song red solo cup.  It's hard to forget.  There are a few different legends of the origin of The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond, but I wouldn't doubt this one is the original because it is about two MacFarlane brothers and Clan MacFarlane traditionally lived on the banks of Loch Lomond.  It's too bad that I can't find the original page that I read it from but I'll try to do it justice by paraphrasing.

During the 1745 Rising these two MacFarlane brothers stumbled upon some red coats.  One of the brothers was a big warrior type while the other was a piper.  The red coats spotted them so the fight was on.  They put up a good fight but being outnumbered they were captured and thrown into prison in Edinburgh.  After Culloden the war was over so all the prisoners were being let go.  When released the big warrior type MacFarlane couldn't find his brother, so he asked one of the other Highlanders if he'd seen him.  The other Highlander pointed to the sky where there was seen billows of black smoke.  Turns out the MacFarlane piper started to play his pipes upon release, not knowing that Butcher Cumberland had outlawed the playing of the pipes.  So they burnt him at the stake for playing his pipes.  When the big warrior type MacFarlane brother seen the black smoke billowing towards Loch Lomond he started running home to catch up, hence the words of the song "you take the high road and I'll take the low road."

I'm not exactly sure if that's the origin of the song but I wouldn't doubt it.  During the Highland Romance period of Queen Victoria's reign they had to import pipers from Nova Scotia because there were none left in Scotland.  There's a couple of other interpretations of the song on the Wikipedia page.  Here's one of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bonnie_Banks_o%27_Loch_Lomond
QuoteThere are many theories about the meaning of the song, most of which are connected to the Jacobite Uprising of 1745. One interpretation based on the lyrics is that the song is sung by the lover of a captured Jacobite rebel set to be executed in London following a show trial. The heads of the executed rebels were then set upon pikes and exhibited in all of the towns between London and Edinburgh in a procession along the "high road" (the most important road), while the relatives of the rebels walked back along the "low road" (the ordinary road travelled by peasants and commoners).

Source

Greg

Quote from: mikemac on June 02, 2018, 05:26:49 AM
Quote from: Serviam on June 02, 2018, 04:19:19 AM

... plus this list of former colonies Afghanistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica, Egypt, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Israel, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lesotho, Libya, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nauru, Newfoundland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe and soon to be Scotland.  This list may not reflect recent changes.

We first had to own them to lose them.  Moreover, many of those nations are on very friendly terms with Britain today.  I can travel the world and do business in English, thanks to the empire.  That is an amazingly legacy.

The Celts struggled to own their own countries.  And the Paddys blew up a load of English pubs and policemen just to make themselves slaves to Brussels and EU freemasons with a few years of the peace agreement.

If the Scots leave the Union then good luck.  Their economy will collapse and they will find themselves another vassal state of Brussels.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

Greg, you can do business in English thanks to American hegemony. Nice try.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Greg

Yes of course.  Because the British empire learned their English from Americans.

jovan66102

Quote from: Greg on June 03, 2018, 02:10:44 AM
If the Scots leave the Union then good luck.  Their economy will collapse and they will find themselves another vassal state of Brussels.

I think most Scots have come to the realisation that Fat Eck and Wee Nippy are feeding them a line. They realise that if they become 'independent' they will be just as bankrupt as they were when they came begging on bended knee asking the English for the Union.

But, of course, the English engineered the drop in world oil prices to bankrupt Scotland, at least according to the Two Fish.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

mikemac

Quote from: jovan66102 on June 03, 2018, 04:30:12 PM
Quote from: Greg on June 03, 2018, 02:10:44 AM

I think most Scots have come to the realisation that Fat Eck and Wee Nippy are feeding them a line. They realise that if they become 'independent' they will be just as bankrupt as they were when they came begging on bended knee asking the English for the Union.

But, of course, the English engineered the drop in world oil prices to bankrupt Scotland, at least according to the Two Fish.

Scotland most certainly did not go "begging on bended knee asking the English for the Union" of 1707.

To the contrary, suspicion and mistrust between the two countries had prevented the union throughout the 17th century, particularly with three failed attempts in 1606, 1667, and 1689.  The financial loss of the failed Darien scheme caused by an English trade blockade, collusion between the English East India Company and the English government to frustrate it plus epidemics of disease and other factors only effected some lowlanders, particularly Commissioners.  Many of Scotland's Commissioners had invested heavily in the Darien scheme and they believed that they would receive compensation for their losses if they signed the Act of Union.

Even more direct bribery was also said to be a factor. £20,000 (£240,000 Scots) was dispatched to Scotland for distribution by the Earl of Glasgow. James Douglas, 2nd Duke of Queensberry, the Queen's Commissioner in Parliament, received £12,325, more than 60% of the funding. Modern research has shown that payments were made to supporters of union that appear not to have been overdue salaries. At least four payments were made to people who were not even members of the Scottish Parliament.  Robert Burns referred to this:

We're bought and sold for English Gold,
    Such a Parcel of Rogues in a Nation.

Some of the money was used to hire spies, such as Daniel Defoe; his first reports were of vivid descriptions of violent demonstrations against the Union. Defoe reported, "for every Scot in favour there is 99 against". Years later, Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, originally a leading Unionist, wrote in his memoirs that Defoe "was a spy among us, but not known as such, otherwise the Mob of Edinburgh would pull him to pieces."

The Treaty could be considered very unpopular at the time. Popular unrest occurred in Edinburgh, as mentioned above, with some lesser but still substantial riots in Glasgow. The people of Edinburgh demonstrated against the treaty, and their apparent leader in opposition to the Unionists was James Hamilton, 4th Duke of Hamilton. However, Hamilton was actually on the side of the English Government.  I see where some Catholic Englishmen get the twisted idea that it's okay to lie for business.

Sir George Lockhart of Carnwath, the only member of the Scottish negotiating team against union, noted that "The whole nation appears against the Union" and even Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, an ardent pro-unionist and Union negotiator, observed that the treaty was "contrary to the inclinations of at least three-fourths of the Kingdom". Public opinion against the Treaty as it passed through the Scottish Parliament was voiced through petitions from shires, burghs, presbyteries and parishes.

Not one petition in favour of an incorporating union was received by Parliament. On the day the treaty was signed, the carilloner in St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh, rang the bells in the tune "Why should I be so sad on my wedding day?" Threats of widespread civil unrest resulted in Parliament imposing martial law.

The 1707 Act of Union applied the Act of Settlement to Scotland which settled the succession of the English throne on the Protestant House of Hanover.  The crowns would descend only to non-Roman Catholic heirs.  The Jacobite risings of 1715, 1719 and 1745 were attempts to restore the Catholic Stewart Dynasty to the throne.  The planned French invasions of Britain in 1708, 1744 and 1759 all included Jacobite support.

And the Highlands of Scotland were most certainly not bankrupt.  As the brutal Highland Clearances were in full swing the English were counting the spoil of their theft with this 1784 commercial map of Scotland by J. Knox.  Some quotes from Highland parts of the map; "Loch Broom, the greatest resort of the largest and best Herrings in the World", "This country produces whole Mountains of Marble fine as the Parian ..."  This River is envirened with Mountains covered with Pine some of them 12 feet round 90 feet high without a collatered branch their Age 2 Centuries."
https://maps.nls.uk/scotland/rec/711

Scotland would be much better off fully independant from England, even with the oil prices being down.  After the last Scottish vote for independance there was a hand full of youtube videos showing clear fraud on the part of some No voters.  They will vote again and gain their independence.

Source

Greg

North Americans complaining about the injustices of the old world always makes me giggle.

Who gave you permission to take a whole continent over?  Your ancestors simply turned up with superior technology and stole it.

So why shouldn't the English take Scotland?

The weak and unlucky die. The strong dominate for a while and the intelligent breeders ultimately win.