Does prayer just seem pointless?

Started by Bataar, January 28, 2023, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bataar

Does prayer seem pointless to anyone else? I do it, but I must admit it's more of an obligation than anything else. Pretty much my entire life, I don't feel like prayer has done anything. When I pray for specific intentions, it seems that at best, my request is not granted and things stay the same. Oftentimes, the opposite happens and things get worse. Like doing a novena and other prayers for a job promotion only to learn that the project I'm working on gets canceled and I lose the job I do have (this didn't happen now, but has happened previously).

I honestly remember, back in 2012, praying for Romney to win the presidential election. I specifically remember a thought popping into my head, jokingly that if I want Romney to win, I should actually pray for Obama to win.

If anything, prayer seems to make me feel worse. If I start admantly praying for something, I naturally start feeling hopeful about it. I start thinking that this time, maybe God will help. Then, when nothing improves or gets worse, I feel worse about the situation than I did before I started praying about it. Some people tell me I don't have faith, but that's not true. I definitely believe God has the power to do anything within His will. I have no doubt at all that God could help, but continually praying for something that for all intents and purposes seems to be against God's will just seems pointless. If anyone else has ever felt similar, I'd love to learn what helped you.

Bernadette

I pray that the difficulties in life may aid my sanctification, and for patience to bear them. I pray for God's will to be done, and for resignation in accepting it. I find it helpful.
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

I'm reading the Mystical city of God at the moment and literally today there was a paragraph where Our Lady quotes how significant prayer is and specifically on do not underestimate just how impactful your prayers are even if they don't seem like it.
It is the chapter on where Our Lady was doing a novena every day to the temple just after Jesus birth and God told her she must leave for Egypt. 

Michael Wilson

Prayer is absolutely necessary for all men in order to be saved. All of our prayers are heard and answered, but not always in the manner or object for which we have been praying for. God is pleased when we pray, as we acknowledge our dependency on Him. But He will only grant to us those things that are for the good of our souls and our eternal salvation. That is why our prayers do not always obtain the results that we are petitioning for. The most perfect prayer is the "Our Father", as it was taught to us by Our Divine Savior Himself.
Do not cease to pray only because our petitions are not answered right away, as God also delays answering in order to exercise us in the virtues of humility, patience and perseverance. The example of the pagan woman who's daughter was possessed, and who did not cease to cry out to Our Lord, even though He seemed to ignore her petitions, and the Apostles tried to silence. Also the example of the woman who importuned the unjust judge, who finally granted her petition, not because he was good, but because he was tired of her importunity; and the man asleep with his family, importuned by the neighbor, who would not cease pestering him, until he got up and gave him what he needed. Plus Our Lord's various admonitions to pray unceasingly. Do not lose heart or confidence in the efficacy of your prayers, but keep praying unceasingly and with confidence that God will give you much more and better things than what you had asked or hoped for.
Here is an article by St. Alphonsus Liguori on the importance of prayer:
https://catholicgnosis.wordpress.com/2022/05/19/efficacy-prayer/
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

EastWest7

I can't improve on Michael Wilson's comment above. I think it's outstanding.

I pray daily for my wife, kids and grandkids...also siblings and the souls of my parents, grandparents and priests and friends who have passed. 

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.
Before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Bataar

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 29, 2023, 11:15:17 AMPrayer is absolutely necessary for all men in order to be saved. All of our prayers are heard and answered, but not always in the manner or object for which we have been praying for. God is pleased when we pray, as we acknowledge our dependency on Him. But He will only grant to us those things that are for the good of our souls and our eternal salvation. That is why our prayers do not always obtain the results that we are petitioning for. The most perfect prayer is the "Our Father", as it was taught to us by Our Divine Savior Himself.
Do not cease to pray only because our petitions are not answered right away, as God also delays answering in order to exercise us in the virtues of humility, patience and perseverance. The example of the pagan woman who's daughter was possessed, and who did not cease to cry out to Our Lord, even though He seemed to ignore her petitions, and the Apostles tried to silence. Also the example of the woman who importuned the unjust judge, who finally granted her petition, not because he was good, but because he was tired of her importunity; and the man asleep with his family, importuned by the neighbor, who would not cease pestering him, until he got up and gave him what he needed. Plus Our Lord's various admonitions to pray unceasingly. Do not lose heart or confidence in the efficacy of your prayers, but keep praying unceasingly and with confidence that God will give you much more and better things than what you had asked or hoped for.
Here is an article by St. Alphonsus Liguori on the importance of prayer:
https://catholicgnosis.wordpress.com/2022/05/19/efficacy-prayer/
I generally agree, but a few things don't add up. One of the things I've been praying for for many years is strength fighting a certain sin. I don't feel like I've gained any additional strength to fight it. I don't see how that intention could be against God's will. It flat out seems like He does not want me to have the strengh to fight it as He does not help me. Another intention I regularly pray for is to help find my path/purpose/whatever in this life and I get no guidance. I've been praying for that intention for over 20 years. One could make the argument that I'm already on God's path, but I find that hard to believe If you're on God's path, even if things are hard, I have a hard time believing that your life would feel pointless, miserable, without hope, etc.

Again, time doesn't mean the same to God as it does to us, but many of my intentions, I've been praying for for 20+ years so it's not just a short term thing.

Michael Wilson

On the prayer to overcome a particular sin: St. Paul prayed to God to take away a sin or a temptation to sin that was harassing him; but God's response was that the struggle against the sin and temptation was necessary for St. Paul's humility. Personally I have been struggling for a long time against the sins of impurity and temperance; and I still do, but through regular use of the sacraments, especially Penance and Holy Communion, I have noticed that the temptations and my struggles have slowly diminished as I got older, and I have a lot more peace of soul.
On the purpose of life: I also prayed since my teens frequently asking God to show me His will as to my vocation and purpose. I was conflicted between getting married and entering the seminary; also what career to follow. Well I dated a few times, and never found a good traditionalist Catholic girl to date; and then I tried the seminary, and bombed out. Lastly, in my career, I was stuck in a family run business which I had a position of responsibility beyond my ability and which was the cause of stress and unhappiness in my work life (apart from the positives of working with my Dad and family members).
So eventually as I have grown older, I realized that it wasn't God's will that I either marry or enter the religious life; but this only came after many years. Then the family business failed and I had to find employment in a much lower paying job, but which I was much more suited for, and which gave me much more peace of mind. And with the help of two of my siblings, I am able to provide a comfortable if not luxurious life for myself.
So my prayers of many years were answered, but not immediately and not in a way that I expected, but much better than I could have possibly have hoped for or imagined.   
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Julio

I agree with you Michael on the power of prayer to change our life and direct our soul towards God. I can see however that fasting is necessary to resist the temptation of sinning. It creates clarity of the mind and it puts our intellect in line with piousness. I find that truth not only by reading the Holy Bible but in my own experience. Prayer and fasting are very good combination for our spiritual alignment towards God.

LuxVera

Prayer just seems like a pointless exercise(?) for me, as in "cross X off the list" kind of checklist. Even asking God for more trust and more faith daily I guess is prayer. But expect nothing and no love in return, or any consolation. It's no wonder why no one wants to believe or have anything to do with God, in my experience. I tried.
"Keep innocency, and take heed unto the thing that is right: for that shall bring a man peace at the last."  -Psalm 37:38, Coverdale Psalter

james03

First rule out demonic oppression.  Guess what, more prayer, but it is simple.

1. Pray: "I claim all rights and privileges granted to me by God, specifically over my property, relationships, and ability to make a living."  Then offer (1) Hail Mary so that Mary will intercede to break any oppressions.

If all of a sudden your life is running a lot smoother, you had demonic oppression.

2. If you have a sin you are working on, the devil has himself a nice cudgel to smash you with and get you down.  Never give up.  Make sure you are utilizing frequent confession, and keep praying.  Also add a once per week fast for the intention to quit sinning.  I like the electronics fast (no internet, texting, video games) one day a week as you get the additional benefit of a dopamine fast.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

QuoteBut expect nothing and no love in return, or any consolation.

Look upon a crucifix daily and say, "He loved me so much, He shed every drop of His Most Precious Blood for love of me."

This world is meaningless except to sanctify ourselves and store up treasure in heaven.  The only thing that matters is God and Heaven, that's it.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Julio

If we focus on ourselves only and the attachment over pleasures of the world it would seem that God is not answering us. But if we think that our soul is His breath and we live because of Him, we will think that He is always with us. Prayers, are not a demand letter or request to ask for something. It is being in unison with God.

I like to share this experience of mine in the becoming a better Catholic in progress. As Catholic since birth having been born from Catholic family, I was not really into serious consideration of my spiritual being especially in the moments when I was already empowered with my stature as a young lawyer in my country. I still attended Mass every Sunday, but I was so neglectful of the Catholic virtues and was in constant disobedience of God's will. It was those times when my ideologue was it was okay for people who live together without the benefit of marriage to receive the Holy Sacrament of Communion, that same sex marriage is fine in the name of equality and I was a great fan of Pope Francis.

The moment I took seriously of my Catholicism which was 5 years ago, I cried a lot while driving my car and felt so lonely despite of my prayers of the Holy Rosary. I cannot understand why on earth I was suffering that much despite being prayerful and was already into fasting. Now, I understand that my soul was suffering from severe pain of the wounds of my sins.

Before that, I am disqualified to be part of this forum for I will be arguing against all the pious perspective of Catholicism. I was even thinking that the Crusade was such a shameful moment of the Catholic History, which now I marvel as a Catholic in the progress of this belief in God. I love how I connect to God and seek the intercession of my prayers to Our Lady of Light, St. Joseph, St. Michael and my Guardian Angel.

It is so wonderful how I am able to serve the plight of those who suffer from injustice because I am able to argue in courts of law and write good pleadings by talking to my Guardian Angel to guide me and make me an instrument to be of service to the will of God. Catholicism and prayer is not like buying instant item in grocery stores. It takes time to feel the grace of Lord Jesus. It is the beauty of living that is the moment of choosing to be with God or His enemy.

diaduit

Quote from: LuxVera on January 29, 2023, 02:11:01 PMPrayer just seems like a pointless exercise(?) for me, as in "cross X off the list" kind of checklist. Even asking God for more trust and more faith daily I guess is prayer. But expect nothing and no love in return, or any consolation. It's no wonder why no one wants to believe or have anything to do with God, in my experience. I tried.

You're in the eye of the storm....keep ticking that x box, He is happy that you continue to pray out of duty, read up on desolation which will turn to consolation. Never ever make any decisions while in desolation.

diaduit

Sometimes there is something in your worldly life that needs shaking up.  It might be that you are praying very much and eagerly but you could be repeating the routine that is an occasion of sin for you.
e.g. gluttony, you keep binging on take aways....delete the 'Just eat' app or it could be watching late night x rated stuff on your phone...go to bed and leave your phone downstairs.

Not saying that is your problem.  I went to a dumbphone recently as I was spending too much time checking latest notifications on Whatsapp with the groups I'm in.  It was such a release.

If HE can take 6 inch nails rammed into his hands and feet with His full body weight hanging off these nails for 3 hours and suffocate to death for us, we can do this.

Instaurare omnia

Prayers of petition on their own won't help much. There are also prayers of intercession, whereby we ask for the good of other people, as well as prayers of praise and gratitude toward God. If the latter types of prayer don't happen enough or at all, then that might be the problem. God offers us many graces so that we can better receive and carry out His divine plan. Yet it's each person's free-will choice whether to accept or reject these graces.

Whatever one's opinion of the modernist Catechism, it's worth reading the section on the Our Father. It details how we, as children of God, are to relate to Him while we pray. If we dismiss this, then we merely go through the motions, experience dryness or distraction, and give up. By doing so, we only shortchange ourselves. But if we take it seriously and sincerely, then there's a deep appreciation that we might regret not ever having experienced before. See here: https://www.usccb.org/sites/default/files/flipbooks/catechism/662/ 

Another strong recommendation: The Magnificat of Mary. Try that for a while and see what happens. Some of the Psalms are quite powerful too. There's no shortage of prayers over the last two millennia. Check out some of the more traditional ones. It will be worth it. 
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).