Bad week for El Presidente

Started by Heinrich, December 20, 2018, 09:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephine87

Quote from: Heinrich on December 23, 2018, 02:49:01 PM
Chile is clearly the front runner for any Catholic wanting to expat. But we have to remember, this is not an Anglo Saxon culture. Meaning: mañana time rules. This can be good or bad, depending how hungry you are. So if you are going to learn Spanish, why not just suck it up and stay where you are? Laus did say there is an Una Voce Russia which provides resources on finding a Latin Mass in Rusher.

There are small numbers of Mennonites in central South America who contribute significantly to food production, far beyond their numbers. The fear in SA is whether you get to keep what you produce.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Lambda Phage

Hmm, I've never considered Chile.

But I've thought of everywhere in Europe and decide each time that it's better just to stay here. Lichtenstein would be my pick if I could go anywhere, but it's not without its issues. One, property is outrageously unaffordable. Two, it's next to impossible to homeschool, same with most other "good" European countries. Three, you're going to have rich Muslims living out the days of their retirement as neighbors. Four there are no Latin Masses. Five, you probably won't get in in the first place. Every place but heaven has major problems.

Better to just live in the States, either in the country or near good people, and buy a nuclear bunker. Things are cheap here compared to other developed countries, we can homeschool with near complete freedom, I get paid more here than I would in most developed countries, there's a Latin Mass in most major cities, and it is simple and requires the least amount of change.

But I'll be ready to move if I ever have to. Staying put allows me to be prepared for pretty much anything and is the best prospect as far as I can tell of keeping my family safe and sacred.

Antoninus

I've been thinking of relocating to Chile for a while. Does anyone know if Peru or Paraguay would also be relatively safe places to move? I haven't heard of any turmoil in those countries.

Tales

Does anyone have any knowledge of homeschooling in Poland (other than merely googling it, which I've already done)?

Poland and Russia seem like the only acceptable places, although perhaps Chile is as well.  Back when I was a libertarian (shudder), that was the hot place for anarchists to go.

Michael Wilson

A member here, Big Bad Trad visited South America with the idea of moving his family there; he finally settled in Europe; I will P.M. Him and see if he would post some of his impressions of the countries he visited and hear his recommendations. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Lambda Phage

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 24, 2018, 09:08:56 AM
A member here, Big Bad Trad visited South America with the idea of moving his family there; he finally settled in Europe; I will P.M. Him and see if he would post some of his impressions of the countries he visited and hear his recommendations.

That would be great.

Lambda Phage

I'm not really seeing what Chile has to offer. Abortion was de-criminalized last year and fags have been getting married there since 2015, albeit they called it "civil unions" at the time. The constitution has since been amended to redefine marriage as between two persons rather than man and woman. The welfare state is bigger there than here...

A higher percentage of people report being Catholic... That's nice if it actually means anything. It just looks like a less communist version of pretty much every other Latin American country, and heading in the same wrong direction as every Western country to me.

What am I missing?

Sempronius

The biggest problem in eastern european countries is to find a job. My cousin earned 340 $ a month. Somehow they manage with that salary, living in their parents house and not travelling anywhere.

Lambda Phage

Yeah. I'm in the middle east right now working with soldiers from mostly the west slavic countries. I absolutely love these people. But they tell me they get paid like crap in their countries. It just doesn't seem like its worth it. If you move to any of those countries you're going to be on the front lines of war if it ever breaks out with Russia. And their languages are useless outside their own individual borders.

That's why I like Liechtenstein. You learn German, which is not only easier for English speakers to learn, but it also opens up the possibility of Switzerland or Austria, all three of which are neutral. You'll probably have to live in Switzerland first anyway if you want to get to Liechtenstein. None of these countries would stand in Russia's way. Liechtenstein doesn't even have a military, so unlike Switzerland the government will leave you and your sons alone.

I met a Norwegian here who was a great guy. Norway is one of the wealthiest countries. But he told me the cost of living there is out of control. Their taxes aren't even that bad, but I guess when the government pays for your school and retirement and healthcare nobody cares about saving money so they have no problem spending all of their pay check on overpriced goods.

At the end of the day I feel like the world sucks so bad that the only reason to leave your home country, barring the exceptional employment circumstances that some people are subject to, is to "rage quit." Basically you're just so filled with hatred of your country that you settle on an inferior option simply because it's not, in our case, America. And I don't think that's very healthy spiritually.

Gardener

Quote from: Lambda Phage on December 25, 2018, 03:50:54 AM
Yeah. I'm in the middle east right now working with soldiers from mostly the west slavic countries. I absolutely love these people. But they tell me they get paid like crap in their countries. It just doesn't seem like its worth it. If you move to any of those countries you're going to be on the front lines of war if it ever breaks out with Russia. And their languages are useless outside their own individual borders.

That's why I like Liechtenstein. You learn German, which is not only easier for English speakers to learn, but it also opens up the possibility of Switzerland or Austria, all three of which are neutral. You'll probably have to live in Switzerland first anyway if you want to get to Liechtenstein. None of these countries would stand in Russia's way. Liechtenstein doesn't even have a military, so unlike Switzerland the government will leave you and your sons alone.

I met a Norwegian here who was a great guy. Norway is one of the wealthiest countries. But he told me the cost of living there is out of control. Their taxes aren't even that bad, but I guess when the government pays for your school and retirement and healthcare nobody cares about saving money so they have no problem spending all of their pay check on overpriced goods.

At the end of the day I feel like the world sucks so bad that the only reason to leave your home country, barring the exceptional employment circumstances that some people are subject to, is to "rage quit." Basically you're just so filled with hatred of your country that you settle on an inferior option simply because it's not, in our case, America. And I don't think that's very healthy spiritually.

Going through this process right now with an interstate move process, investigating whether or not it's legitimately a value add to move out of Colorado, most likely to Oklahoma.

The more one investigates, the less simple it is. For example, Oklahoma is a state which taxes groceries across the board, rather than as in here in CO where only certain items are taxed. So, wondering what that might look like we set out to look into how to figure out the formula. My plan was to simply go "shopping" when we finally visit Oklahoma and tally up the difference without actually buying 2 weeks of food. My wife, being the ingenious little thing that she is, decided to use the Walmart grocery pickup app and do a typical cart but then change the zip code to the area we'd be going. Voila. $5 tax (CO) vs ~$9 (OK). So a $4 difference every two weeks = ~$100 more a year for groceries. However, OK has certain stores that are cheaper than Walmart (Aldi), and, we'd be shifting our method of purchase on certain items. For example, we'd likely buy a whole side of beef at once and we'd likely do our own chickens for eggs and meat. Why? Because one of the value adds is getting 5-10 acres as a real potential. I simply won't move to just live in another neighborhood. So those things could end up driving down the initial cost of things.

Gas is cheaper in OK, too. The best local price here, even with a member discount at Sam's club, was $2.13/gal yesterday. In Tulsa, gasbuddy.com indicates a local price of ~$1.88, Sperry is 1.81, Bartlesville is $1.78 at a Phillips 66 station (makes sense, since they are literally right there in town) etc.

Assuming 20mpg and 20000 miles/year, that's 1000 gallons of gas a year. CO, at current prices, = $2,130/year whereas OK = $1,880/year for a savings of $250/year in gas, which in consideration of the grocery tax increase nets at $150/year in our favor.

Once we are able to get these local particulars down on a spreadsheet from research and on the ground asset intelligence (looking at you James03), we can begin the process of setting up pay band validators. Anything in Payband A = thanks for the offer, Company X, but I need to decline. Payband B = ok, this is workable. Payband C = we just made money in comparison. etc.

That's the material consideration. Immaterial = things like a giant yard for the kids to run around in, space to shoot my bow without some HOA-loving, "I can't even"-Starbucks drinking soccer mom freaking out, etc.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

james03

QuoteWhat am I missing?

Chile put in place a required 5% PRIVATE retirement system.  Therefore the entire population are the capitalist owners of Chilean companies via stock.  Which means even when libtards get elected, they can't do much damage.  If they tax or over regulate companies, the stock market tanks and the libtard gets the boot.

And as a further benefit, since their retirements are backed by productions and not taxes, it is solvent.  There is zero retirement crisis in Chile.  Compare to the US, England, or Canada.  All broke.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

QuoteFor example, we'd likely buy a whole side of beef at once and we'd likely do our own chickens for eggs and meat.
Easy to do around here.  I've done it with two local butchers.  One time I bought direct from the butcher.  Another time my buddy sold me a cow, and I had it delivered to the butcher who slaughtered it and cut it up like I wanted.  Filled an entire chest freezer.  I think I had over 700 lbs. of meat from that one.  You save about half, but you do need a big freezer.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Heinrich

Quote from: james03 on January 01, 2019, 12:41:45 AM
QuoteWhat am I missing?

Chile put in place a required 5% PRIVATE retirement system.  Therefore the entire population are the capitalist owners of Chilean companies via stock.  Which means even when libtards get elected, they can't do much damage.  If they tax or over regulate companies, the stock market tanks and the libtard gets the boot.

And as a further benefit, since their retirements are backed by productions and not taxes, it is solvent.  There is zero retirement crisis in Chile.  Compare to the US, England, or Canada.  All broke.

Ah, Distributism. We thought we never new ya.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

mikemac

Quote from: Heinrich on January 01, 2019, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: james03 on January 01, 2019, 12:41:45 AM
QuoteWhat am I missing?

Ah, Distributism. We thought we never new ya.

:D  That's what I thought when I read this too.  Actually Social Credit (no, not that crap they are now calling Social Credit in China).
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Christe Eleison

Quote from: james03 on January 01, 2019, 12:45:00 AM
QuoteFor example, we'd likely buy a whole side of beef at once and we'd likely do our own chickens for eggs and meat.
Easy to do around here.  I've done it with two local butchers.  One time I bought direct from the butcher.  Another time my buddy sold me a cow, and I had it delivered to the butcher who slaughtered it and cut it up like I wanted.  Filled an entire chest freezer.  I think I had over 700 lbs. of meat from that one.  You save about half, but you do need a big freezer.

A Blessed Christmastide to you & yours, James! And a very Happy New Year 2019! :pray3:
How long can you keep meat in a freezer, without it going bad?Thanks & God Bless :pray2: