To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Prayerful

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF4UDYwXt10[/yt]

A Nahuatl composition by a Mexica or Aztec composer, Hernando Franco, not the Spanish composer of that name who also active in New Spain.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 23, 2021, 10:04:35 AMI think the first two albums are consistently good from beginning to end.  After that, each record suffers from extreme ups and downs (except for the fourth).  I mean, The Crunge is a truly execrable song, and it's on the same record as the masterpiece No Quarter.  And on the later records, I'm afraid, the good songs become more infrequent.

LOL. True, The Crunge is not a good song.  And it has the nerve to play right after Over the Hills and Far Away (another of my favorites).  I think overall it's a good record, though (if you skip that song anyway!).  Probably goes without saying that you rank Dancing Days up there with No Quarter based on its title alone, right? (Tell the truth!) :laugh: 

You know, off-the-bat I was inclined to disagree with you on the third record and say it was a consistently good record (as well as disagree on the third and fifth suffering from "extreme" ups and downs); but after taking a little time to think about it, there are a few songs on the third record that really aren't very good, alongside others that are excellent.  So I think I actually concur with you for the most part.  The infrequency of good songs on the later records is my opinion as well - really starting with "Physical Graffiti" for me, though.

dellery

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on April 23, 2021, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: dellery on April 23, 2021, 08:13:33 AMPlease. Led Zeppelin? They're one of those bands, like Pink Floyd, everybody is expected to like but they actually suck.

Last year a coworker asked if I liked Zeppelin, and wasn't very amused when I told him that kind of Justin Beiber bulls**t wasn't for me --pretty sure he's heard me listening to Taylor Swift on a number of occasions too.  :lol:

Ohhh now, take it back what you've said!  ;D

At about eighteen years old some middle aged Blue Collar guy tried to start a fight with me because he asked if I liked Rush and I told him only homos liked that girl.
Haven't stopped making fun of people's music ever since. And my musical tastes are still not gay enough to listen to Rush.

Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Melkor

Not a Rush fan, I like Working Man tho. Nice song to drink a beer to after a long day busting yourself.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

dellery

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 23, 2021, 09:49:44 AM
Quote from: dellery on April 23, 2021, 09:14:34 AMAnother thing to watch for in contemporary music is the Song of Songs emanating from the subterranean depths of what at first glance seems like trash.

You mean bad quality ancient Hebrew erotic poetry?  Trash is trash, whenever and whoever composes it.

And an advertisement is still and advertisement even if it sounds nice and comes from some cool guys with an edgy band name.

Your beliefs and worldviews can be traced and predicted based on your musical preferences.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions

Mono no aware

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on April 23, 2021, 07:54:36 PMProbably goes without saying that you rank Dancing Days up there with No Quarter based on its title alone, right? (Tell the truth!)

Dancing Days isn't bad, but it feels like a missed opportunity.  Its riff has that Eastern, hypnotic quality.  They might have slowed it down or something, and bowed the guitar, and brought in a Moog for John Paul Jones to play.  Instead it's just straightforward inane rock, when it could've been a Kashmir or In the Light.  As for the third album, aside from the unevenness, it also has their worst cover design.  Fortunately they followed it up with their best.

Nice avatar.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: dellery on April 23, 2021, 08:32:11 PMAt about eighteen years old some middle aged Blue Collar guy tried to start a fight with me because he asked if I liked Rush and I told him only homos liked that girl.
Haven't stopped making fun of people's music ever since. And my musical tastes are still not gay enough to listen to Rush.

Yeah, I never got into Rush either.  I don't necessarily think they or their fans are "homos" or anything (LOL) - maybe they are! - I just don't really care for the music other than one or two songs that I like enough to listen all the way through when I hear them on the radio.  (I like how the song you posted starts out, but then I'm usually ready to switch stations by the end of the first verse.)

So anyway, TL;DR, we basically agree on that one!    :patriot:

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 24, 2021, 06:19:23 AMDancing Days isn't bad, but it feels like a missed opportunity.  Its riff has that Eastern, hypnotic quality.  They might have slowed it down or something, and bowed the guitar, and brought in a Moog for John Paul Jones to play.  Instead it's just straightforward inane rock, when it could've been a Kashmir or In the Light.

Oh it does have that Eastern, hypnotic quality which I like.  I see your point about it being a missed opportunity -- it's a decent song as is, but it could have been great if they'd done the things you suggested with it. (and "bowed the guitar" ... :)

QuoteAs for the third album, aside from the unevenness, it also has their worst cover design.  Fortunately they followed it up with their best.

Completely agree.

QuoteNice avatar.

Thank you, Pon.  I'd wanted to edit it when I put it up a while back so that the snout of BB's shepherd was a little more distinct against that dark background; but I wasn't able to do so without distorting all of the color in a bad way.  Oh well, still a great photo. 

Melkor

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 24, 2021, 06:19:23 AM
Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on April 23, 2021, 07:54:36 PMProbably goes without saying that you rank Dancing Days up there with No Quarter based on its title alone, right? (Tell the truth!)

Dancing Days isn't bad, but it feels like a missed opportunity.  Its riff has that Eastern, hypnotic quality.  They might have slowed it down or something, and bowed the guitar, and brought in a Moog for John Paul Jones to play.  Instead it's just straightforward inane rock, when it could've been a Kashmir or In the Light.  As for the third album, aside from the unevenness, it also has their worst cover design.  Fortunately they followed it up with their best.

Nice avatar.

What's wrong with straightforward inane rock? I love a heavy, crunchy riff when I'm lifting weights, gets the blood flowing.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Mono no aware

Quote from: Melkor on April 24, 2021, 06:47:37 PMWhat's wrong with straightforward inane rock? I love a heavy, crunchy riff when I'm lifting weights, gets the blood flowing.

I guess straightforward will always have its place, but it's the inanity that bothers me.  Dancing Days has stupid lyrics.  If I'm going to criticize the Song of Songs, I have to criticize most of rock music as well, which is usually nothing more than "sexual innuendo in this burned-out paradise," as one purveyor put it.

dellery

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 25, 2021, 08:11:09 AM
Quote from: Melkor on April 24, 2021, 06:47:37 PMWhat's wrong with straightforward inane rock? I love a heavy, crunchy riff when I'm lifting weights, gets the blood flowing.

I guess straightforward will always have its place, but it's the inanity that bothers me.  Dancing Days has stupid lyrics.  If I'm going to criticize the Song of Songs, I have to criticize most of rock music as well, which is usually nothing more than "sexual innuendo in this burned-out paradise," as one purveyor put it.

:popcorn:

Some good door-kicking music right here -->

Nous Defions

dellery

Nous Defions

Melkor

Selena Gomez and Marshmello? Wow talk about inane...,

dellery

Quote from: Melkor on April 25, 2021, 08:34:21 AM
Selena Gomez and Marshmello? Wow talk about inane...,

Things have gone clear over your head here, partner.

Nous Defions