Thinking of changing my name

Started by Hannelore, April 27, 2024, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannelore

I have an unusual name. One added letter brings it to the much more common version. There is also a personal reason why I would prefer the more common version. I'm debating whether it would be worth the trouble to achieve this. It would entail notifying Social Security (probably applying for a new card), my bank, health insurance, getting a new State ID and passport, etc. Curious as to what other people would do in my place.
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Sounds like a pain in the ass tbh. Why would you want more common anyways?

My wife kept her last name for now except in personal correspondence...the amount of paperwork involved in changing her passport, visas, residency permits, kids birth certificates etc just wasn't worth it for us. Once we move to a new country and the old visas expire, she'll do it.

*Cue Trad outrage*
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on April 27, 2024, 06:31:02 AMI have an unusual name. One added letter brings it to the much more common version. There is also a personal reason why I would prefer the more common version. I'm debating whether it would be worth the trouble to achieve this. It would entail notifying Social Security (probably applying for a new card), my bank, health insurance, getting a new State ID and passport, etc. Curious as to what other people would do in my place.

When my wife changed her surname after marriage, it went pretty smoothly, to be honest.  Smoother than I expected, not gonna lie. 

I think the most annoying thing about a name change is I think you need a court order, so there's like a $200 fee for it or something? 

But if it's worth it to you, I don't see why not to do it. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bonaventure

When Mrs. B changed name, same, went very smooth.

I'd say if you want to do it, do it.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

The Curt Jester

I like unusual names.  Nobody ever spells my name correctly and I find that rather amusing.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Melkor

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 10, 2024, 12:02:09 AMI like unusual names.  Nobody ever spells my name correctly and I find that rather amusing.

Lol same, and it's even worse when they try pronouncing it. You'd think a country with the French history of Canada would know a proper French last name when they see it.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Melkor on May 10, 2024, 12:54:47 PM
Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 10, 2024, 12:02:09 AMI like unusual names.  Nobody ever spells my name correctly and I find that rather amusing.

Lol same, and it's even worse when they try pronouncing it. You'd think a country with the French history of Canada would know a proper French last name when they see it.

I always suspected you were gay...nice to finally have proof.

:cheeseheadbeer:  :cheeseheadbeer:  :cheeseheadbeer:  :cheeseheadbeer:
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Melkor

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ