Abortion Question

Started by Philip G., January 24, 2021, 02:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip G.

James - I don't think we agree.  I don't think we agree on fundamentals, and until your concession comes, we don't agree on particulars.  Speaking of fundamentals, what is culture?  Is not culture something that is somewhat all encompassing?  To demand of culture such acute form is an abuse, and a denial of the very thing. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

james03

Yeah, we don't agree.  Take care.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

coffeeandcigarette

Well I agree with you. You made a very good concise point, with which many of us agree. Cultural change must take place if we are to see a truly just society arise. If I am reading you right, you don't like the fact that many who are pro-life are willing to vote in a man who will simply outlaw abortion; a move you see as impotent at ineffective. In your mind, there is no point in voting in anti-abortion laws if we are not changing the hearts and minds, i.e, the culture...   Is that about right?

My response would be that we have to do what we can, when we can. We may not be able to convert hearts and truly change society in a few years, but we can make abortion illegal, so that less evil is occurring in society. Abortion restrictions would be a huge wake-up call. Many men and women would think more than twice about sexual activity. These small changes are for the good, and that is what we aim for, eliminating any sin is a victory for Christ.

Jacob

Philip, you may find this essay interesting.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson