Hello

Started by james.rogerson, November 03, 2018, 03:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james.rogerson

I'm sorry I forgot to do this earlier:

What brings you to SD? A friend recommended it
Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)? None that are still active
Why did you choose your username and avatar? A friend gave me the very good advice that I should always use my real name in internet postings. This inculcates a sense of personal responsibility for what you put out under your own name.
What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning? Married
Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!) 'Non-metropolitan' Australia.
Personality type? Not sanguine.
Favorite books? The novels of Walker Percy.
Favorite movies? Hard to say without seeming pretentious. Tarkovsky films probably.
Favorite TV shows? I like quite a few American shows from about the 1950s-70s. The Phil Silvers Show; Taxi; Barney Miller.
Favorite sports/teams: I loathe sport- except for cricket which isn't sport but poetry in motion.
Have any hobbies? Reading
Pet peeves: Slow talkers.
Fun random fact about yourself: I've broken my nose three times playing cricket, which goes some way to explaining why I'm not a professional sportsman. There are other impediments too though.

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum!
Love your intro. Especially the description of your personality as "not-Sanguine".
I also agree on the part about using your real name; its help me keep my big foot from going into my even bigger mouth, more than the normal amount.
Great hobby; I love reading also.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jacob

What is your thought on what happened to Kelvin in the end?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

You are from Australia and don't like the sport?  >:( 

You lift, bro?

Pleased yer here.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

He lives in Australia where mere survival is a sport, no?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

james.rogerson

I think statistically it's likely Kelvin left or went to jail.

Yep, survival is a sport in Australia. I'm not sport mad like a native because, while I've been here 15 years, I'm actually English.

I've lifted some heavy dictionaries in my time.

Jacob

Quote from: james.rogerson on November 03, 2018, 09:02:19 PM
I think statistically it's likely Kelvin left or went to jail.

I think there is a misunderstanding.  I meant Chris Kelvin from Solaris:)
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

james.rogerson

Sorry- I saw a Barney Miller episode the other day with a Catholic Brother Kelvin in it- and I thought it was a sociological question about what a religious brother who was middle aged in the late 70s might be up to now.

I haven't seen Solaris for years; I'll have to have watch it again and get back to you.

Jacob

Quote from: james.rogerson on November 03, 2018, 09:38:40 PM
I haven't seen Solaris for years; I'll have to have watch it again and get back to you.

I need to watch it too.  Maybe afterwards we can talk.
--Neal Stephenson

desicatholic

Hey! I grew up playing cricket too. I like it but not as much to call it poetry in motion.
I hail from India and saw the glory years of Australian national team. Gilchrist, the Waugh brothers and ponting....revolutionized the sport. Used to kill the Indians! Lol
I was a lost sheep