Would you ever...

Started by Lyubov, January 04, 2013, 02:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyubov

The European Catholic tradition of giving boys "Mary", "Marie", or "Maria" as a middle name is a wonderful tradition. Sadly, in North America this rarely happens. In Europe, almost all of the Catholic royal families give their sons the name. Examples:

Albert Félix Humbert Théodore Christian Eugène Marie (current King of the Belgians)
Philippe Léopold Louis Marie (current Belgian heir)
Juan Carlos Alfonso Víctor María (current King of Spain)
Henri Albert Gabriel Félix Marie Guillaume (current Grand Duke of Luxembourg)
Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie (current Luxembourger heir)
Hans Adam Ferdinand Alois Josef Maria Marko d'Aviano Pius (current Prince of Liechtenstein)
Alois Philipp Maria (current Liechtensteiner heir)

These are just a few samples of a widespread practice. So, what do you think? :D

P.S.- I know that there are certain names that some consider to be masculine versions of "Mary", such as "Marius" or "Mario", but they aren't, really. These names do not actually share an etymology with the name "Mary". I am specifically wondering whether you would be willing to give your sons a feminine name to honour the Blessed Virgin. :)
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

The Harlequin King

As a middle name, I think it's okay.

I am fairly certain that Marion is genuinely a male form of Mary. The actor John Wayne's real name was Marion Morrison.

Lyubov

Quote from: The Harlequin King on January 04, 2013, 02:28:59 AM
I am fairly certain that Marion is genuinely a male form of Mary.

I believe you are correct. I forgot about that one!
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

totiusque

You can't forget one of the greatest saints devoted to Our Lady - St. Louis Marie de Montfort.

My wife and daughter both have Marie as a middle name and we are considering it for our second girl as well.  I put "Maybe" down since I'm not sure if we would use it for a boy's name, but we'd probably consider it.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Bonaventure

Maybe.

I don't see myself using the English variant, but if they had a French, Italian, or Spanish name, perhaps.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

jovan66102

My sons are Zachary Joseph Mary, Charles Albert Mary and John Matthias Mary. :)
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Lyubov

Quote from: jovan66102 on January 04, 2013, 02:54:36 AM

I knew you would respond to this thread!  ;D
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Lyubov on January 04, 2013, 02:22:21 AM
The European Catholic tradition of giving boys "Mary", "Marie", or "Maria" as a middle name is a wonderful tradition.

You forgot to mention that there's also the reverse tradtion: naming girls as "Joseph" or "John." Often you hear names like "Maria José" (Mary Joseph) or "Maria João" (Mary John).

In Spain, there's also the odd tradition of naming boys "Jesús." That's one I'm uncomfortable with.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Lyubov

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 04, 2013, 03:13:10 AM
Quote from: Lyubov on January 04, 2013, 02:22:21 AM
The European Catholic tradition of giving boys "Mary", "Marie", or "Maria" as a middle name is a wonderful tradition.

You forgot to mention that there's also the reverse tradtion: naming girls as "Joseph" or "John." Often you hear names like "Maria José" (Mary Joseph) or "Maria João" (Mary John).

You're right. The last Queen of Italy, a Belgian princess, was named Marie José.  :)
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

OCLittleFlower

I wouldn't, for a few reasons.

1) It isn't really done in our country, and I wouldn't want people thinking he was a fruit or making fun of him.  There's nothing WRONG with it, but we don't HAVE to do it either.

2) I promised my grandmother, Mary, that I would name a daughter after her -- or at least some variation like Marie.  So, I don't see us giving our son the same name as his sister.   :P
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Eliza

Quote from: jovan66102 on January 04, 2013, 02:54:36 AM

Love it. Good on you, Jovan!

Gottmitunsalex

In Germany, Austria it is (was) commonplace in Catholic families to name the boys,  Maria

Example:
Claus Philipp Maria Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Ancilla Domini

It's not a tradition I'm fond of.

There are plenty of good Catholic names for both boys and girls. I don't see the need to mix them.

Ancilla Domini

In Spain, there's also the odd tradition of naming boys "Jesús." That's one I'm uncomfortable with.

Agreed.  :)

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on January 04, 2013, 04:50:17 PM

Agreed.  :)

Ditto.  That name should be reserved only for Our Lord, IMO.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.