This Is Why 2015 Could Be The Year Of The Podcast [LinkedIn]

Started by Kaesekopf, December 31, 2014, 09:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

This Is Why 2015 Could Be The Year Of The Podcast
Glenn Leibowitz

I've been an avid podcast listener for the past six years. Podcasts have been a major source of new information, insights and inspiration across a range of topics that interest me.

They've transformed hours of otherwise tedious commutes in cars, taxis and planes into pockets of immersive listening that have been educational, motivational, and entertaining.

I've also sat on the other side of the earbud as a podcast producer. For the past three years, I've churned out nearly 60 episodes of a program on Chinese business and economic trends that has been downloaded nearly a million times in 190 countries.

Podcasts are not new: they've been around for well over a decade now. In 2006, the addition of podcasts to iTunes proved to be the tipping point that led to an explosion of new podcasts and the introduction of millions of new listeners. Today, iTunes houses over 250,000 podcasts.

Podcasts are reaching more and more people. According to Edison Research, about 39 million Americans, or 15 percent of the over-12 population, listened to a podcast last month, up from 12 percent in 2013 and 9 percent in 2008.

And the field is still wide open. The quarter-million podcasts available today pale in comparison to the nearly half billion English-language blogs, or the four million hours of videos uploaded to Youtube each month.

A number of recent trends and developments indicate that 2015 could be a breakout year for podcasts. But before I cover some of the recent developments driving the supply side of the equation, let's first take a quick look at what's behind the explosive growth in consumer demand for podcasts.

Why we love podcasts

There are a number of reasons why podcasts are a unique medium for consuming content—and why we love them so much:

Multi-tasking: Podcasts are on-demand audio that allow you to consume content while you go about living your life. You don't need to be tethered to a chair, eyes glued to screen, to listen to your favorite podcast. You can listen while you jog, do the laundry, or perform a multitude of tasks that you can't do while reading a blog post or watching a video.

Mobile: Podcasts go wherever I go. I can listen to them whether I'm stuck in traffic in a taxi in a tunnel underneath the Huangpu River in Shanghai, waiting in line to board a plane in Tianjin, or driving to work in Taipei.

On-demand: With podcasts, you can listen to whatever you want, in whatever sequence you want, and whenever you want. Granted, blogs and video are also forms of on-demand content. But when combined with the multi-tasking and mobile elements described above, podcasts are truly unique.

Pushed. Thanks to the magic of RSS feeds, podcasts appear on my podcast app as soon as they are published. A little red dot at the top-right of the podcast icon is enough to alert me to a new episode waiting for me.

Global. I can stream or download the same podcasts as anyone else in the world, regardless of where I am. At the end of 2012, Apple launched the iTunes store in an additional 56 markets, bringing its global reach to 119 countries. While alternative platforms do exist and are growing?—?Soundcloud, Stitcher, and several other smaller applications?—?Apple iTunes remains the 800-pound gorilla in this space, with 85% of total podcast downloads flowing through its massive directory.

Podcasts are free! Enough said.

And here's why podcasts are going to get better and be even easier to access in 2015

Demand for podcasts is hot. But the supply side of the equation has a number of equally exciting trends and developments that are expected to push podcasts deeper into the mainstream:

Low barriers to entry for new content producers

Like the blogging and video revolutions that have enabled millions of people to become content publishers, podcasting has similarly low barriers to entry. Anyone with a laptop, microphone and free audio editing software can record and publish a podcast that can reach thousands of listeners around the world.

Availability of training material is moving the needle on quality

Of course, the price of such easy access to the tools of production means that the quality of what is being published ranges all over the map. More podcasts do not necessarily lead to better podcasts. The quality of podcasts available today ranges from the very good to the truly amateur. But an abundance of training material is helping to move the needle on quality. More and more professional podcast producers are sharing their experience, techniques, and tips, both for free and for a fee.

In his new podcast, The Podcast Method, Dan Benjamin dives deep into both the creative and technical aspects of producing a top-notch program. Several successful podcasters also offer extensive training courses for which they charge a fee.

Alex Blumberg, former producer and reporter for the award-winning radio show This American Life, and now producer of the hit podcast Startup, offers an in-depth video course on "powering podcast storytelling" on CreativeLive.

Professional producers are raising the bar on quality

Professional radio producers have been developing new podcasts and repurposing their radio content as podcasts for a long time. But in 2014 we saw a number of professional players take podcasts to a whole new level. The viral podcast hit Serial, a spin-off of This American Life, is probably the most buzzed-about podcast of all time. With an average 2.2 million downloads per episode, and more than 20 million downloads in total?—?from just 12 episodes?—?Serial has permanently exploded the myth that podcasts are a niche format.

Content producers are monetizing

Podcasts may be free for devout listeners like myself, but that doesn't mean they don't make money for the ones who produce them. More and more podcasters are monetizing their content in a number of ways, including good old-fashioned advertising. Adam Sachs, CEO of Midroll, a podcast advertising company that places commercials in more than 150 shows, told The Financial Times that he charges rates of between $20 and $30 per thousand impressions (calculated on a projected number of downloads per episode)?—?about five times the cost for traditional radio advertising.

Some podcasts are supplementing?—?or circumventing altogether?—? traditional corporate sponsorship by leveraging crowdfunding platforms such as Kickstarter and Patreon to build listener-supported models. Roman Mars, the host and creator of the award-winning podcast on design and architecture, 99% Invisible, has raised $1.16 million in Kickstarter campaigns.

Even if podcast producers don't monetize their shows directly?—?and many still don't?—?they are translating brand awareness into powerful lead magnets for products and services they sell on their websites and in off-line channels.

The upshot of all this: the fact that podcasts are generating revenue will attract more players to join the fray, and encourage investment in higher quality content. Greater competition will likely push more marginal players to either up their game or withdraw.

The final frontier: car dashboards

They've conquered the desktop. The've conquered smartphones. And in 2015, podcasts will conquer the "final frontier" of distribution: car dashboards. Apple and Google are busy signing deals with automakers to get their systems?—?Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?—?onto the dashboards of new models rolling off the lots. It's a game-changing move that will bring podcasts to millions of new?—?or otherwise infrequent?—?listeners.

What do you like about podcasts? Do you think 2015 will be the year of the podcast? I'd love to hear from you in the comments.

Thanks for reading! Please check out my other posts at my blog, Digital Ink Never Dries. Connect with me here on LinkedIn. Find me on Twitter @glennleibowitz

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Having just listened to Serial and having listened to a number of podcasts, I can't help but wonder if traditionalists are missing out on the "frontier" of podcasts, or whether it's something we should avoid. 

I know that there is AudioSancto, but that isn't really the same - it's just sermons recorded from a Sunday Mass...  And there are some audio recordings of conferences, etc, but again, not the same.

Do you think traditional Catholics are missing out on an important medium?

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Gardener

I never listen to podcasts. I can't figure out the purpose.

I've tried, but it just seemed like a lot of work. Then again, I never update software and hate plugging anything in, which seems necessary to get new podcasts.

Where's my spoon? Feed me.

Love,

Luddite IT Student.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Podcasts are just mp3 files. If you subscribe to them then you need other software, iTunes or several other competitors.

I listened to many of them in the 2004 - 2006 timeframe. Neocats were all over them then.

I listen to books, lectures and conferences now. Podcasts are too superficial, imho.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Innocent Smith

I think the trend is set in which there will eventually be more podcasters than there are listeners. If broadcasting occurs on the airwaves and through cable boxes, and narrow casting exists in speciality magazines, I suppose you could say that pod casting occurs on the sub atomic level.

Question: If a podcast is not listened to by another human being, does it make a sound? 
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 31, 2014, 01:52:31 PM
I think the trend is set in which there will eventually be more podcasters than there are listeners. If broadcasting occurs on the airwaves and through cable boxes, and narrow casting exists in speciality magazines, I suppose you could say that pod casting occurs on the sub atomic level.

Question: If a podcast is not listened to by another human being, does it make a sound?

But couldn't you have said that about many different products?  Even radio, television, and movies seem to be the same way (in the sense of having more producers and actors involved in the industry)...

And why is that a bad thing?  Carve out a niche.  Life isn't static. 

Hannelore

I loved Serial! Though I don't usually listen to podcasts right when they come out. I do most of my listening from the shows' archive pages. I'm not aware of any Catholic podcasts, though.
My Lord and my God.

Innocent Smith

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 02, 2015, 08:04:23 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 31, 2014, 01:52:31 PM

But couldn't you have said that about many different products?  Even radio, television, and movies seem to be the same way (in the sense of having more producers and actors involved in the industry)...

And why is that a bad thing?  Carve out a niche.  Life isn't static.

No it is not a bad thing at all, and I have enjoyed many podcasts. Some are well produced by talented and informed people who put a heck of a lot of work into them. The problem is that at best they seem to be preaching to the choir, and at worse they are not getting any decent exposure. Usually it is a combination of both.

For instance Fox News is considered to be the Conservative outlet for news. Of course this is not true. But the point I am trying to make is that we exist in a media environment where can now choose to tap into only that news or commentary that fits our view or more likely offends us the least. I think the better approach would be to develop men's clubs at parishes where these concepts are discussed in group settings. And maybe these podcasters can be invited to give presentations. I think that is what is missing from them being more of a success. I wish them well and do appreciate their efforts.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Greg

I recorded a series of them.  Heavily downloaded but impossible to monetize and make it worthwhile.

Also listen to the hardcore history podcast, by Dan Carlin, which I enjoy a great deal.

2015 ain't going to be the year of the podcast any more than 2014 was or 2016 will be.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Innocent Smith

Quote from: Greg on January 02, 2015, 11:23:17 AM
I recorded a series of them.  Heavily downloaded but impossible to monetize and make it worthwhile.

Also listen to the hardcore history podcast, by Dan Carlin, which I enjoy a great deal.

2015 ain't going to be the year of the podcast any more than 2014 was or 2016 will be.

What were the topics for the one's you recorded? And if they are still out there could you please provide a link so we can give them a listen?

james03

Quote2015 ain't going to be the year of the podcast any more than 2014 was or 2016 will be.
WRONG!  Nostra Jamesus has returned.  I'm launching a new paid podcasting service including private apocalypse telephone coaching for my subscribers. /sarc

Speaking of which, I've been on the wagon for a year, and the year is up.  I'll kick off a good apocalypse post when I get some time.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

maryslittlegarden

The British History podcast is a lot of fun.  I looove the Librivox books on Itunes (which are in podcast format.)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Hannelore

My Lord and my God.

OzarkCatholic

The important thing about podcasting is consistency; build up a format listeners can understand, follow a regular schedule, etc. Death can come to a podcast if it is poorly produced, too cheesy, or intermittent.

For instance, I've been enjoying Steve Skojec's One Peter Five podcasts. However, he has stopped posting them for about a month now. With new events in the trad world each week, not staying on top of it quickly makes your podcast old news.

Compare Skojec's work with that of Fr. Finnelli(sp?) (iPadre) and you'll find a cleric who produces quality work at a consistent rate, but produces it in a somewhat cheesy manner. It's hard to listen to.
Feels like Groundhog Day again.