American women have served and died from the first

Started by Ancilla Domini, January 25, 2013, 09:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Harlequin King

There's a woman in my family tree who's listed as having served in the American Revolutionary War, but it doesn't say exactly how. Her name was Rahab Culpepper, of North Carolina (which is fitting if you think of the Biblical Rahab who assisted the Israelites at Jericho). http://gen.culpepper.com/ss/p9907.htm

Ancilla Domini

So what are the criteria for deciding what role women should and shouldn't play?

zork

Quote from: Heinrich on January 26, 2013, 11:03:50 AM
Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on January 26, 2013, 01:39:44 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on January 25, 2013, 11:41:20 PM
Looks like we'll have some lyric shift'n to do.
And here I was thinking you were going to sing!
???

Hier singen meine Schüle für alle in SD:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGI8pCFh6zU[/yt]

Translation from the dialog at the end of the vid:

Adult: "Come down from there!"
Kid: "I'm coming already."

You're welcome.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

LouisIX

Slippery slope?  Seriously?

Nursing, cooking, etc. are ways in which women can help the war effort without holding weapons and going into battle.  That's the line, and I think it's an obvious one.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: LouisIX on January 31, 2013, 12:27:17 PM
Slippery slope?  Seriously?

Yes, because they didn't go from nurses to special forces.

QuoteNursing, cooking, etc. are ways in which women can help the war effort without holding weapons and going into battle.  That's the line, and I think it's an obvious one.

But there's a lot in the middle. Should women hold noncombatant but traditionally male roles such as mechanics, thereby "freeing a man to fight"? And what about spies and couriers, who are technically not in combat, but who risk their lives as if they were?

What exactly are the criteria for deciding what role women should and shouldn't play? 

LouisIX

They shouldn't risk their lives.  Spies may have to fight, be killed, be tortured, etc.  No man should be comfortable letting those things happen to a woman.

If a mechanic is out of the line of fire then I see no inherent problem.  If the mechanic needs to be in situations in which they may be shot at, however, the job should be done by a man.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: LouisIX on January 31, 2013, 01:18:53 PM
They shouldn't risk their lives.  Spies may have to fight, be killed, be tortured, etc.  No man should be comfortable letting those things happen to a woman.

If a mechanic is out of the line of fire then I see no inherent problem.  If the mechanic needs to be in situations in which they may be shot at, however, the job should be done by a man.

This.

And we are now fighting those who won't treat women with respect.  Even civilian nurses shouldn't be sent where they are too close to the battle.  We are no longer fighting gentlemen who will let these ladies be.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 31, 2013, 01:52:28 PM
This.

And we are now fighting those who won't treat women with respect.  Even civilian nurses shouldn't be sent where they are too close to the battle.  We are no longer fighting gentlemen who will let these ladies be.

To an extent, everyone who has fought a war hasn't treated women with respect. 

Raping and pillaging is not a new concept... 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MilesChristi

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 31, 2013, 02:48:54 PM
This.

all the more reason to keep our women far away from this battlefield.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Bonaventure

Served and died does not mean picked up arms and word uniforms.

Abigail Adams certainly would not have picked up a musket and fought the red coats.

Even the "new" feminists of the 1960s and 1970s would object to fighting the Viet Cong.

Only in our supposedly enlightened age are we seeing this.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

OCLittleFlower

This.

Very true.  However, there was usually an understanding to leave nurses alone. May not have always happened, but at least that was the understand.

Now we don't have even that.

LouisIX

This.

There are a lot of good men who have fought in wars and not raped women or pillaged villages.  Most Crusaders did not do that.  Most men serving in the American army never do that.

Kaesekopf

By everyone, I meant more the general "armies", as opposed to individual soldiers.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 31, 2013, 05:47:03 PM
By everyone, I meant more the general "armies", as opposed to individual soldiers.

And yet it is often a small group of individual soldiers who do it, rather than an order from a general.

LouisIX

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 31, 2013, 05:57:09 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 31, 2013, 05:47:03 PM

And yet it is often a small group of individual soldiers who do it, rather than an order from a general.

Right.  In many ways, fighting for your State is a protection of women, especially if it's a just war.