Nechemya Weberman Gets 103 Years for Sex Abuse, and Satmars Say 'Whoa'

Started by Gottmitunsalex, January 25, 2013, 07:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gottmitunsalex

The stunning 103-year prison term imposed on Brooklyn 'therapist' Nechemya Weberman for sexually abusing a girl has unleashed fierce debate, with many members of his ultra-Orthodox community saying the harsh sentence is unfair especially compared with punishment meted out to other notorious criminals.
Critics claim the long sentence will deter future abuse victims from coming forward — but victims' advocates and prosecutors insist seeing justice done will only encourage others to report crimes to secular authorities.
Weberman, an unlicensed therapist, rabbi, and prominent member of the Satmar ultra-Orthodox community, was hit with the lengthy sentence on January 22. He was found guilty in December of 59 counts related to the abuse of the Orthodox girl over a period of three years from the age of 12.
"The community looks at a 100-year-sentence and says, 'Whoa, murderers don't get anywhere near 100 years,'" said Ezra Friedlander, CEO of The Friedlander Group, a public relations firm that caters to many ultra-Orthodox clients.
Just last month, Friedlander had welcomed the guilty verdict returned against Weberman. Writing in the Forward at the time he said that the community ought to see Weberman's case as an opportunity to confront abuse once and for all.
But he said that the 103-year sentence has led even "fair-minded" community members to wonder whether the system "is stacked against us."
Within hours of sentencing, blog comment threads and Twitter feeds filled with people comparing Weberman's sentence to that imposed on Levi Aron, who kidnapped and murdered 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky in Brooklyn in 2011. Levi was sentenced to 40 years to life in prison after agreeing to a plea bargain deal.

Is this a glimpse of what awaits for some Catholic prelates in the LA area?
Source: http://forward.com/articles/169782/nechemya-weberman-gets--years-for-sex-abuse-and/
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin