Liturgical kisses: Does your parish do it?

Started by Basilios, November 20, 2013, 08:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Deschain

At our SSPX chapel, during Missa Cantata, the server kisses the incense spoon when handing it to the priest and then kisses the priest's hand. The MC also kisses the priest's hand before handing him the thurible and receiving it back from father.
'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

VeraeFidei

In my experience, the ICRSS is very good with this, and does it during Low, Sung Low, and Missa Cantata Masses. The SSPX I go to, sometimes does this during the Missa Cantatas.

Der Polka-König

Both churches I regularly serve at use the oscula, whether Low or High Mass.  It is a matter of custom, but the same custom should be used for the parish/chapel regardless of who is serving and whether or not it is a Low or High Mass, in my opinion.  It maintains uniformity and avoids the problem of servers forgetting whether they are supposed to do the kiss or not.

The rite of the Kiss of Peace, however is always reserved only for Solemn High Mass.
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

OzarkCatholic

I'll reiterate what has been said by others, that this seems to happen at all institute masses or any diocesan tlm masses in the stl area.
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

AnneTce

Liturgical kisses: Does your parish do it?

Yes

Basilios

Anne I get the feeling being succinct is one of your weakness. You are far too verbose, ain't nobody gon' read all that!
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

AnneTce

Quote from: Basilios on December 25, 2013, 04:10:12 PM
You are far too verbose, ain't nobody gon' read all that!

Just Puttin' my hand up...
:-)