Hong Kong’s Cardinal Zen goes on trial -- abandoned by Bergolio

Started by TradGranny, September 27, 2022, 02:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TradGranny

Hong Kong's Cardinal Zen goes on trial over fund defending protesters

Catholic cleric and fellow activists were arrested for 'colluding with foreign forces' under Beijing-imposed national security law

A 90-year-old Catholic cardinal and five prominent pro-democracy campaigners have pleaded not guilty in court in Hong Kong for failing to properly register a humanitarian fund they set up to help people arrested in anti-government protests in 2019.

Cardinal Joseph Zen, one of Asia's highest-ranking Catholic clerics, and his fellow campaigners were arrested in May for "colluding with foreign forces" under a national security law that Beijing imposed on Hong Kong to crack down on dissent. All were trustees of the 612 Humanitarian Relief Fund, which provided legal and financial assistance to more than 2,000 people prosecuted for their part in the 2019 pro-democracy protests. The fund is charged with not properly registering under the societies ordinance, a colonial-era law from 1911.

. . . --Pope Francis declined to comment on Zen's prosecution when asked about it earlier this month but said he was determined to continue pursuing a dialogue with Beijing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/26/hong-kongs-cardinal-zen-goes-on-trial-over-fund-defending-arrested-protesters
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Jmartyr

The Vatican has been cozying up with the Chi - comms since Cardinal Casaroli, I believe. This is no surprise. JPII and Benedict were no better.
"If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
" A false church cannot have a true mission." - St. Francis De Sales

Jacafamala

Remembering Cardinal Zen and the true Church in China in my prayers. His reward will be great in Heaven, I trust. Given his age, his eminence doesn't have much longer to go!
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

King Wenceslas

Julio

Jmartyr

"If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
" A false church cannot have a true mission." - St. Francis De Sales

Julio

It is a possibility. The human leadership of the Catholic Church is never immune from serious errors and its history is classic testament of that truth.