Something I did not know until now ..........

Started by diaduit, September 24, 2022, 02:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Martyr

Quote from: Goldfinch on September 27, 2022, 05:56:46 PM
Quote from: andy on September 26, 2022, 05:48:31 PM
The only requirement is to be baptized if am not mistaken.

No. One must be a Catholic male, that is, profess the true faith.

Are you proposing that unbaptized Catechumens who profess the true faith are Catholic?
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Goldfinch

Quote from: Justin Martyr on September 30, 2022, 07:21:38 AM

Are you proposing that unbaptized Catechumens who profess the true faith are Catholic?

What? Unbaptized male catechumens are not formal members of the Church and cannot, therefore, be elected pope. The Church does not exercise jurisdiction over catechumens, as you know.

Regardless, I was pointing out that merely being baptized is insufficient. Protestants and Orthodox may be validly baptized but they cannot be elected to the supreme pontificate.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

Justin Martyr

Quote from: Goldfinch on October 01, 2022, 08:15:37 AM
Quote from: Justin Martyr on September 30, 2022, 07:21:38 AM

What? Unbaptized male catechumens are not formal members of the Church and cannot, therefore, be elected pope. The Church does not exercise jurisdiction over catechumens, as you know.

Regardless, I was pointing out that merely being baptized is insufficient. Protestants and Orthodox may be validly baptized but they cannot be elected to the supreme pontificate.

Ah OK. I see now I misread your original post.
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

drummerboy

Exactly. The Anglican and Catholic faith, as opposed to the corrupt Romish church...lol ::)
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Instaurare omnia

Quote from: diaduit on September 24, 2022, 02:44:53 PM
anything else you just found out recently?

This referenced article is actually about liturgical music, but it also includes this interesting history: "Communion was not—broadly speaking—given to the faithful at High Mass before the 1950s (the decade in which Pius XII eliminated the 'midnight Eucharistic fast')."

Quote Father Fortescue wrote in 1917: "On Maundy Thursday there is a distribution of Holy Communion at High Mass. This does not often occur on other days; but any Catholic has normally a right to present himself for Communion at any Mass, on condition that he is in a state of grace and fasting from midnight."[1] So when exactly did Catholics receive Communion, if doing so along with the Celebrant was rare? They frequently received outside of Mass—very early in the morning—since Catholics in the olden days had to observe the "midnight fast." For example, a 1943 parish bulletin shows that Saint Agatha's Church (St. Louis, MO) had the distribution of Communion at 6:15am on Holy Thursday (22 April 1943) followed by a High Mass at 8:30am. The earliness of Mass times would shock many alive today—e.g. at Saint Agatha's in 1943 the Solemn High Mass on Easter Sunday started at 5:30am!
[...]

A significant change happened when the Code of Rubrics was issued in 1961. Specifically, §502 declared: "The proper time to distribute Holy Communion to the faithful is during Mass, after the Communion of the Celebrant..."

[1] Father Adrian Fortescue, Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described (London: Burns & Oates, 1918), 130.
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Christina_S

Quote from: diaduit on September 24, 2022, 02:44:53 PM
anything else you just found out recently?
Yeah. During WWII, the Brits tried to create an aircraft carrier out of ice and wood pulp. Saw it on the side of a U-Haul and looked it up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habakkuk
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

diaduit

Reading the Mystical City of God,

Our Lady tells Mary of Jesus of Agreda, when She entered the temple as maiden age 3, she was the first to make the vow of poverty, obedience, chastity and enclosure and She was the first nun which set an example for all religious orders of nuns thereafter. (edit to add, these are my words, not exact quote)

She uses the quote 44th psalm, 'After her shall virgins be brought to the King'.

drummerboy

Greg for Pope! He can be Gregory XVIII the Chastiser
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne