Archbishop Cordileone Formally Addresses Pelosi Scandal

Started by mikemac, May 20, 2022, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemac

I received this in an email today.

QuoteCatholic Action's past support for Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone, Archbishop of San Francisco, has not been misplaced. He, along with Cardinal Burke, have served as Episcopal Advisors of Catholic Action since before its inception. Today, His Excellency issued a public statement (5/20/22) addressing and clarifying the situation surrounding House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's ongoing and scandalous support of the intrinsic evil of abortion.

As Nancy Pelosi's archbishop, Archbishop Cordileone is ultimately responsible for her spiritual well-being and has come to a point where deliberation must stop and where a decision just must be made. His Excellency has taken the remarkable step of putting her on public notice that she is forbidden to receive Holy Communion "unless and until she publicly repudiate her support for abortion 'rights'" adding that she must also confess her sin and "receive absolution for her cooperation in this evil" in order to be reconciled with the Body of Christ and return to Communion with the Church. As His Excellency's long-time friend, I can tell you that this decision didn't come easily and is only after years of dialogue with her personally trying to convince her to change her wayward ways.

Join Archbishop Cordileone's Prayer Campaign

Following a prolonged period of deafening episcopal silence in the face of the scandalous positions of so-called Catholic politicians, one courageous prelate has had the integrity to stand in the public forum and speak the truth. We thank him from the bottom of our hearts!

Nancy Pelosi claims to be Catholic. Archbishop Cordileone actually is Catholic.

His Excellency appropriately invoked the Church's universal teaching (specifically, canon 915 of the Code of Canon Law) as the basis of his decision lest anyone accuse him of acting on his own personal whims in this matter. The task of disciplining public heresy and scandal is a matter of clear and long-standing Church law to help lead the faithful to God.

Most significantly, Archbishop Cordileone expressed how personally difficult a step it is for him to exercise Church discipline in this fashion, as he has always wished to exercise the ministry of mercy toward wayward Catholics like Pelosi. But in the face of her scandalous "obstinate denial" of the basic doctrines of the Catholic Faith, His Excellency believes his episcopal office requires such an action, as sad as it may be.

For our part, we stand behind His Excellency one hundred percent and pledge our full support for his courageous action. In the present climate of rabid abortion activism, we are certainly aware that he will be even more fiercely attacked than he has been in the past.

Those who wish to support His Excellency's prayer for the conversion of Nancy Pelosi with fasting and prayer are invited to access an excellent prayer campaign at the Benedict XVI Institute's website.

Your Excellency, Archbishop Cordileone, we and all our Catholic Action allies are fully behind you!

Your friend in Christ,

Thomas J McKenna

You can sign the petition in support of Archbishop Cordileone here.  I didn't because it asks for your phone number.  But this caught my eye.

"This time we bring out the heavy artillery: we will send a Rosary, a Miraculous Medal and a green Scapular (conversion miracles) to Speaker Pelosi for every 60 people (one for each rosary bead plus the Crucifix) who commits or recommit to praying and fasting for her conversion."

https://benedictinstitute.org/rose-and-a-rosary/?mc_cid=66ffe13610&mc_eid=b59036d2e1
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Prayerful

This is a good thing, but if Francis was in better health, he'd consider a summary dismissal (although a LatAm bp was sacked suddenly and recently for COVID wrongthink and excessive Catholicism) and probably find someone as effete and weak like Gomez of LA.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Julio

I notice that we have different take regarding the current events, but when it comes to how to express Catholicism, almost everyone is in one direction in this forum and this is a good thing. God bless everyone in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirt. Amen.

Antoninus

This is great news. However, Cardinal Gregory of DC, where Pelosi is a large part of the year, will most likely not ban her from Holy Communion in the Archdiocese of Washington DC.

Non Nobis

I was pleased to hear this reported even on the secular news on the radio here: on a station that plays mostly conservative talk radio.

I wish (Arch)bishop Cordileone would have stayed in my town but Pope Benedict XVI had a better idea:

https://timesofsandiego.com/life/2022/05/20/ex-san-diego-auxiliary-bishop-forbids-pelosi-from-taking-communion-at-mass/
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Frank

in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Miriam_M

I'll find it later, but +Cordileone's statements were even more comprehensive than the summary in the email of the OP.  For example, he acknowledged the difficult decisions politicians have to consider (the moral impacts of those, and how complex some legislation can be), but noted the difference between more subtle or ambiguous issues and the evil of abortion.  In that regard, the point he made about Pelosi was how "aggressively" she supported this evil, how public and unrelenting her support.

Frank

in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

diaduit

I am delighted he has done this but the cynic in me wonders why he couldn't have done this before or is it because the Supreme court leak exposed just how prolife is gathering a massive momentum in USA ....is he moving with the tide?

mikemac

Archbishop Cordileone compares Pelosi's abortion stance to a "devout satanist".  A lot of bishops are backing +Cordileone.  Yet Pelosi has already received Holy Communion in Washington.

Nancy Pelosi's archbishop compares her abortion stance to a "devout satanist"

https://metrovoicenews.com/nancy-pelosis-archbishop-compares-her-abortion-stance-to-a-devout-satanist/
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

AlNg

Julio

Quote from: AlNg on May 24, 2022, 11:07:25 PM
Quote from: mikemac on May 24, 2022, 09:40:27 PM
Yet Pelosi has already received Holy Communion in Washington.
Yes. Cardinal Gregory lets her receive Holy communion in DC.
https://www.ncronline.org/news/people/banned-cordileone-san-francisco-pelosi-receives-eucharist-washington

https://religionnews.com/2022/05/23/banned-from-communion-in-san-francisco-pelosi-receives-eucharist-in-washington/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10847225/Nancy-Pelosi-receives-COMMUNION-Catholic-church-Georgetown.html

I don't see the unity in the Catholic church on this issue. One bishop bans her from Communion. Another bishop allows her to receive Communion?
Division is diabolic. Issues like this should be the priority of Pope Francis which must be provided clarity because it is about the human soul and he should not be consumed with those policies about the tress in the Amazon forest.

AlNg

Quote from: Julio on May 25, 2022, 01:14:12 AM
Division is diabolic.
Yes. i thought that unity is one of the four marks of the true Church: One, holy, Catholic and Apostolic being the 4 marks?

MaximGun

One reason I don't have anything to do with the new mass or the priests who say it.

Half of their bishops give communion to public pro-abortionists and promoters of abortion.

The other half of their bishops take 40 years to take action and deny it.

They are hirlings.  The entire lot of them.