High Risk of Food Shortage in the US?

Started by Aulef, May 12, 2022, 12:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam_M

It would be far more realistic, from my own view, to become a vegetarian overnight -- which is not ideal but feasible for me -- than to imagine farming any kind of animals for actual consumption.

But this entire conversation assumes that no one leaves their homes.  You all are imagining interminable lockdowns?  Instead, I imagine that Americans, anyway, are resourceful enough to seek collective solutions, such as what is happening now with the baby formula crisis.

People will find ways to eat sufficiently and affordably, without becoming butchers themselves.

james03

Line of Ukraine trucks backed up at the one Danube port in Moldova.  When you have to switch from rail to truck, that's a huge drop in capacity.

https://s1.cdnstatic.space/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/grain.mp4?_=2

Huge food crisis coming up, especially in Africa.  Expect more hoards fleeing to Europe.  That's ok, diversity is our strength. 
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

diaduit

Quote from: james03 on May 14, 2022, 02:57:21 PM
Not to mention The Great Dog Chicken Massacre whereby you learn not to let the little ones name the chickens.

"Mommy, what's wrong with Princess?".

Last two chicks that survived our first attempt at egg incubator, I made sure to keep the names neutral, they were born on a friday so one is called chick Friday and the other is called black Friday.

No more cuddly names here :)

diaduit

Quote from: Miriam_M on May 14, 2022, 08:23:47 PM
It would be far more realistic, from my own view, to become a vegetarian overnight -- which is not ideal but feasible for me -- than to imagine farming any kind of animals for actual consumption.

But this entire conversation assumes that no one leaves their homes.  You all are imagining interminable lockdowns?  Instead, I imagine that Americans, anyway, are resourceful enough to seek collective solutions, such as what is happening now with the baby formula crisis.

People will find ways to eat sufficiently and affordably, without becoming butchers themselves.

Totally agree Miriam, God gave us ingenuity and thankfully we as Catholics are in tune with this.  We are building networks here in Ireland and its kind of organically happening.  Since most of us saw the fruitlessness of protesting a long time ago we are generating our energy elsewhere in preparing, homesteading groups, homeschooling meet ups and finding joy in the ordinary while the rest of the sleepwalkers are still glued to MSM and getting more depressed by the day.
I have been cooking plainer meals lately to get us used to not having the big dinners (very hard when you enjoy cooking and flavours  :o) and surprisingly its going down well.   

Lynne

This is a great channel for prepping.

This video covers how to soak dried beans. [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTEfvrg0rd4[/yt]
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MaximGun

With everyone eating beans - I think I have figured out why the living will envy the dead.

james03

QuoteWe are building networks here in Ireland and its kind of organically happening.  Since most of us saw the fruitlessness of protesting a long time ago we are generating our energy elsewhere in preparing, homesteading groups, homeschooling meet ups and finding joy in the ordinary while the rest of the sleepwalkers are still glued to MSM and getting more depressed by the day.

Critical.  The lone survivalist is a sure way to fail.  Form groups.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

james03

Looks like Sri Lanka is really popping on the food riots.  Many more countries to come.

Mushroom

Quote from: Heinrich on May 14, 2022, 01:03:20 PM
Quote from: MushroomRooster on May 14, 2022, 01:00:44 PM
Quote from: Elizabeth on May 14, 2022, 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: MushroomRooster on May 14, 2022, 10:51:35 AM
We have free-range chickens so I guess we're kind of set. Growing has been tough since the weather is still not warm enough and we mostly have sandy soil. We trade our eggs for beef with the locals. And, there are some deer on our property.
How many chickens?  I am so tempted to start, and they have some cool coops on the market these days.  I would be happy to have even one as a pet to eat bugs, as long as I could keep her safe.

17 hens and 3 roosters. I butchered our 4th rooster (almost a year old) a few weeks ago since the other roosters would attack him and it would create bloody fights. The meat was super tough so i recommend slow-cooking them. The hens are production types so they probably wouldn't live long. The rooster keep the hens safe and they're really nice pets. We're trying to breed the hens but it got cold suddenly, so they stopped brooding I guess.

Where do you live, the Yukon?

Southern Manitoba. There was crazy weather for the past couple of months. There was a snowstorm in April and winter ended late, which disrupted calving season. Also, it started raining alot recently so the areas around us are flooded. I have delayed growing since the temperatures aren't high enough (at night). We might have to incubate the eggs if the hens don't get broody.

Jayne

While a lot of prepping skills would be good to learn, I think that the majority of young adults now do not know how to cook from scratch (anything, not just beans).  Anyone who does not know how to do this should learn ASAP.  It can save large amounts of money under good conditions and can make one's food go farther if there are shortages or economic disruptions.

Men, don't just assume that your wife will take care of cooking.  We don't know what is going to happen.  Everyone should have have at least  basic knowledge of how to do real cooking.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The Curt Jester

I wholeheartedly agree that men should not assume their wives will take on all the cooking.

It's something they should be sure of when they get married.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

james03

Jayne

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 17, 2022, 11:42:42 AM
I wholeheartedly agree that men should not assume their wives will take on all the cooking.

It's something they should be sure of when they get married.

There are many scenarios in which one's wife would not be available to cook.  Don't assume that none of them will happen and be prepared for them.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Aulef

Quote from: Miriam_M on May 14, 2022, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: Jayne on May 13, 2022, 09:53:24 AM
Quote from: Tennessean on May 13, 2022, 08:45:50 AM
We'll have to learn.

over 80 % of the US population is in urban areas which means little or no access to land which can grow food.

This is much more important than the learning issue.  The two enormous obstacles are
(1) housing design in urban America, most of which omit even balconies for gardens of any kind.
(2) the time period involved from beginning to harvestable yield.  Many people can grow veggies, even indoors, but fruits, protein, and dairy sources will be out of reach for much of urban America as our cities are currently designed.  It could become possible in future urban design, or in re-design, but it is not an instant solution for large portions of the population.

Maybe it will be just  like the end of the Roman Empire when people left the cities and went to the countryside
Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

Aulef

In regards to extreme food shortage, we can always look back to the first decades of communist China to have a glimpse of what could happen. People resorted to all kinds of weird sources of food, which nowdays is considered common there such as a variety of insects, rats, dogs and so on.
Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te