Author Topic: Why is the forum so quiet?  (Read 752 times)

Offline Vox Clara

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
Why is the forum so quiet?
« on: May 12, 2022, 01:49:55 PM »
I expected things to pick up after Lent, but activity has actually gone down. Thoughts?

The following users thanked this post: Goldfinch

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Why is the forum so quiet?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 01:53:21 PM »
Because I'm a bad forum administrator.   :popcorn:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, LausTibiChriste, Acolyte, queen.saints, Melkor, Goldfinch, Vox Clara

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans FrontiŤres
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 02:06:13 PM »
For many of us, we live in places where we are finally getting some nicer weather, so some people may be wanting to be outside.

Personally, I have been putting a lot of time into studying German lately.  This uses much of the time that could otherwise be used for the forum.

I suspect that Joseph is posting less due to dissatisfaction with the forum (and I think he has some valid criticisms). 

For what it's worth, I think you are a rather good admin/mod when you are able to put the necessary time into it.  You would probably be great if this were your full time job, although I am not sure what that would do to your sanity.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Acolyte, Michael Wilson, Goldfinch, Vox Clara

Offline Vox Clara

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 02:09:09 PM »

Unless you think you've gotten worse, that can't really account for a change in activity.  :lol:

Be that as it may, I think once a year you should do a Feast of Fools where you let the least competent member run the forum.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Jayne, Lynne, Goldfinch

Offline james03

• Major
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 02:33:23 PM »
Trads won.  A few years back there was a lot of opposition.  Now no one from the neoCatholic side has anything to say, as they know they are ridiculous.

There's also the move to social media.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, LausTibiChriste, Acolyte, Michael Wilson, Kent, Melkor, Goldfinch

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans FrontiŤres
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 03:12:58 PM »
There is currently an ongoing thread at Fisheaters about a lull in posting on that forum.  While this is not necessarily occurring for the same reason as the one here, I prefer explanations that account for this on both forums.  Such as my theory about the weather.

The following users thanked this post: Vox Clara

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 04:43:31 PM »
Well sometime back it was said that those of us who were 'acidic' in tone were the cause of others who were of a quieter nature not taking part.  That theory has been proven wrong I think.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, maryslittlegarden, LausTibiChriste, Lynne, Miriam_M, Melkor

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans FrontiŤres
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »
Well sometime back it was said that those of us who were 'acidic' in tone were the cause of others who were of a quieter nature not taking part.  That theory has been proven wrong I think.

There are definitely people who do not participate here who have said it was because of nasty, belligerent posts.  The problem goes far beyond "acidic tone".  What makes you think that this has been proven wrong?

Some examples:

One of the reasons I don't post here that often is that this place has gotten even more conspiracy minded, anti Jewish and white nationalist.  I'm not down with that.  I think it's possible to critique Jayne's views without saying anti Jewish remarks.

Iím just tired of a certain few posters who dominate the forum, and think they know everything about everything, when they havenít a clue.

This why I remain mostly in the rafters.

I guess today Iím feeling feisty.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 05:56:44 PM by Jayne »

Offline Acolyte

• Wachtmeister
  • Soli Deo gloria
  • Religion: RC
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »
For many of us, we live in places where we are finally getting some nicer weather, so some people may be wanting to be outside.

Personally, I have been putting a lot of time into studying German lately.  This uses much of the time that could otherwise be used for the forum.

I suspect that Joseph is posting less due to dissatisfaction with the forum (and I think he has some valid criticisms). 

For what it's worth, I think you are a rather good admin/mod when you are able to put the necessary time into it.  You would probably be great if this were your full time job, although I am not sure what that would do to your sanity.

Yep, weather has to be a factor. I bought a nice bicycle Tuesday and I'll be riding it a lot more than the old Schwinn cruiser I bought in 2020.

I hang out on a few musicians forums and they all slow down after spring kicks in.

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Melkor, Vox Clara

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 12:47:58 PM »
My two cents, which is probably worth even less  ;D.  Personally, I am in probably the busiest season of parenthood.  I've got a seventeen year old on down to two, and just about everything in between.  We have precious little free time, so when I do, it's spent fostering family time.  It's a big year for milestones for us, too:. Graduation, First Communion, and two Confirmations....plus, there always a birthday to celebrate. 

TL;DR:. it's not you, it's me  :cheeseheadbeer:

Offline andy

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 06:25:17 PM »
I personally never been super active on here besides a few threads pertaining to topics of special interest to me. But even with that, I recently started moving toward more person 2 person interaction within the local Church - you can say a traditional way of building catholic social relationships  ;) - so sooner or later I will probably stop checking the forum out completely.

There is still a unique information you can find only here.

The following users thanked this post: Tennessean, Vox Clara

Offline Tennessean

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 01:29:35 AM »
Real life.
I'm done with this place.

The following users thanked this post: Vox Clara

Offline beev_bove_biv

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 06:06:30 AM »

There are definitely people who do not participate here who have said it was because of nasty, belligerent posts.  The problem goes far beyond "acidic tone".  What makes you think that this has been proven wrong?

Some examples:

One of the reasons I don't post here that often is that this place has gotten even more conspiracy minded, anti Jewish and white nationalist.  I'm not down with that.  I think it's possible to critique Jayne's views without saying anti Jewish remarks.

Iím just tired of a certain few posters who dominate the forum, and think they know everything about everything, when they havenít a clue.

This why I remain mostly in the rafters.

I guess today Iím feeling feisty.

"Nasty belligerent quotes" = doesn't believe the government and/or CNN

The following users thanked this post: MaximGun

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans FrontiŤres
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 07:55:26 AM »
"Nasty belligerent quotes" = doesn't believe the government and/or CNN

The "nasty belligerent" bit referred to things like people who expressed their disagreement with me by claiming that I was sneaky and manipulative and blaming it on my Jewish ancestry.  This is the context for the statement "I think it's possible to critique Jayne's views without saying anti Jewish remarks."

The "evidence" that I was sneaky and manipulative, by the way, was completely imaginary.  They claimed that I had gotten Joseph to post here as some sort of plot to disrupt the forum.  One of the people making this claim had himself befriended Joseph in chat and encouraged him to start posting in the forum.  The chat logs showing this were posted.

Things like this should not be minimized as "acidic tone".  There have been many vicious personal attacks involving various people, behaviour that would have been quickly addressed back when we had a moderation team.  The lone moderator gets around to them eventually, but they have time to poison the atmosphere of the forum before he does. 

Online Melkor

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • memento mori
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 11:30:41 AM »
'Cause LTC got banned.  ;D

Seriously though, I think the time of year, (fishing season is upon us, let's gooo) and the fact that most people are finally able to do stuff again after 2 years (thanks covid)is the biggest reason. Plus forums are, sadly, dying.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Vox Clara