please read this, Human Augmentation doc from 2021

Started by diaduit, June 30, 2021, 04:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diaduit

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/986301/Human_Augmentation_SIP_access2.pdf

If you want to see a snapshot of it, go to Dave Cullen here

https://gab.com/DaveCullen/posts/106498139161108073

What in the heck is Human Augmentation and why are the British and German governments doing, working together on this?

I can imagine what is in it as I glanced over it but I would prefer a more capable eye over it.

TheReturnofLive

You should've titled this differently, because anyone who genuinely tries to respond to this will convey the impression to others that they think too highly of themselves (they perceive themselves as having a "great mind").
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Jayne

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on June 30, 2021, 06:02:16 AM
You should've titled this differently, because anyone who genuinely tries to respond to this will convey the impression to others that they think too highly of themselves (they perceive themselves as having a "great mind").

Consider this my official announcement that I will consider anyone who answers the question as having taken "great SD minds" ironically.   8)

As for the question itself, I would have to read more to understand what exactly they mean by human augmentation, but the bit about ethical questions being decided by governments set off alarms. 

[edit for clarity]
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Insanis

Quote from: diaduit on June 30, 2021, 04:54:40 AM
What in the heck is Human Augmentation
It is the use of technology to radically enhance human performance.

The report is focused on understanding implications of advances in such technology as it relates to matters of defense.

Using eyesight as an example, one can surpass human performance by enhancing it with technology. For example, a person who has the best eyesight he is capable of having can be enhanced by using binoculars, night vision googles, or gene editing for improved eyesight.

The report is actually more focused on improved training and small pieces of technology integrated into a person's equipment.

It also addresses possible ethical and social issues, but it doesn't solve them.

and why are the British and German governments doing, working together on this?
Because at the current time, they are not at war.

I can imagine what is in it as I glanced over it but I would prefer a more capable eye over it.

It is not that significant. It is just a "let us write about this now" sort of report about improving human performance for defense purposes.

Now, I'm sure that the writers and readers might have fantasies of Space Marines in powered armour and careful genetic enhances, integrated into complete AI computer systems (Spartan style), but in reality, it is about examining the actual limits of human performance and showing how technology can augment that, and possible ethical and social concerns.

But it is nothing new. The use of such technology on a personal level to create some sort of elite group of people is very well examined in fiction (see: Augments in Star Trek).

And in reality, defense is about keeping costs low and giving soldiers only what they need without regard to individuals. Giving a soldier a tablet and a few pills and calling it "human augmentation", while having fantasies of super-soldiers created in labs and wearing power armour, seems to be what this is all about.

Insanis

Quote from: Jayne on June 30, 2021, 06:16:06 AM
Consider this my official announcement that I will consider anyone who answers the question as having taken "great SD minds" ironically.   8)

I actually read the report, and she was just asking for me to respond.

There's nothing to see here. It is a document from a committee and has a lot of buzzwords in it and some fantasies, and an abundance of artwork to cover the lack of actual content.

In the end, it is saying "individual human performance can be augmented with technology ranging from simple tools to new technology to drugs to radically advanced gene editing".

Of course, it doesn't address any basic issues, and the German policy is far less aggressive than it used to be, and they both have a "the USA will take care of any major threats" policy, so I don't think we need to worry about the UK or German governments developing an army of super soldiers.

They'll just have more equipment to maintain and better healthcare.

I'm sure they'd like a SPARTAN Program though.

But there aren't going to be any Eugenics Wars.

Jayne

I used my great mind to find a video showing human augmentation:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyhVBU3RdZ0[/yt]

It seems quite useful for fighting monsters and killer robots.

Jayne

Apparently, a major problem with human augmentation is that it allows one to be controlled by a hive mind:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHVF4kL64iw[/yt]

Insanis

Quote from: Jayne on June 30, 2021, 08:51:08 AM
Apparently, a major problem with human augmentation is that it allows one to be controlled by a hive mind:

Major benefit, you mean.

One is not controlled by a hive mind. One is being controlled as much as one is controlling any other in the hive.

diaduit

Adjusted the title  :)

Yes the ethics bit really bothered me and I'll add its precisely the use of buzzwords and fancy smancy talk to thinly disguise the true agenda of those in charge and that gets these kind of polices into mainstream legislation or operational irl.

Insanis

Quote from: diaduit on June 30, 2021, 01:47:16 PM
Yes the ethics bit really bothered me and I'll add its precisely the use of buzzwords and fancy smancy talk to thinly disguise the true agenda of those in charge and that gets these kind of polices into mainstream legislation or operational irl.

I don't think we have anything to worry about that is new.

The extensive use of gene editing, integrated invasive technology, eugenics, and pharmaceuticals to create Augmented Super Soldiers is science fiction. They are just playing around with that idea "just in case" because there are no policies on it. They don't even have any suggestions about what is ethical or not. They just outline that there would be ethical and social issues with such things.

The reality is that they are just outline that human performance can be augmented with technology (binoculars, night vision googles, GPS trackers, etc). It is, more or less, just about the use of such technology in practice.

Prayerful

I wonder if it's some variant on how a good many of the soldiers of the Deutsches Heer and allied contingents were issued with Pervertin, that is, methamphetamine during WW2.

Amusing story of a Finnish soldier who managed to travel 400 kms through wartime Russia with no ammunition, almost no supplies, serious injuries, hallucinations and so on.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRHm26fKKb8[/yt]

Meth does seem just the thing for a super soldier, although there are some reported side effects, from physical deterioration possibly leading to death, stealing National Guard tanks among other things. I wouldn't put it beyond them, given how both countries have military concerns not remotely commensurate with the level of funding. The modern versions of the Deutsches Heer has it worse, legit married in a church Boris Johnson did boost UK military spending a bit.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.