Novus Ordo Diocese of Brooklyn Depicts Christ as "Original Hipster"

Started by Bonaventure, April 27, 2013, 10:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Proof that the word "hipster" has lost any meaning. Does the Diocese think Jesus healed people ironically or something?

Adeodatus

Quote from: kayla_veronica on April 27, 2013, 03:13:09 PM
How dumb do they think people are?

Well, they apparently think that playing "On Eagle's Wings" at Mass will make you willing to give them all sorts of money, ignore any blatant malfeasance on their part, and possibly even die for them... so, pretty stupid.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Der Kaiser

Very, and they are right. have you ever talked to a New Church pew warmer? This will not attract kids at all just turn them off. Good let new Church die
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

kayla_veronica

Quote from: Der Kaiser on April 27, 2013, 06:57:58 PM

Very, and they are right. have you ever talked to a New Church pew warmer? This will not attract kids at all just turn them off. Good let new Church die

I guess I mean advertising wise... This will never work. Most people know enough about advertising to know a bad ad when they see one.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

LouisIX

What's most amazing is that there are still so many in the Church stupid enough to think that this is going to do anything whatsoever.  I don't care whether they're after the salvation of souls, money, butts in the pews, humanitarian rights, etc.

This does literally nothing.  They've been trying it since the 70s and it only furthers the image of the Church as out-of-touch.  The irony in that... now, that's hipster.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: LouisIX on April 28, 2013, 12:50:34 AM
What's most amazing is that there are still so many in the Church stupid enough to think that this is going to do anything whatsoever.  I don't care whether they're after the salvation of souls, money, butts in the pews, humanitarian rights, etc.

This does literally nothing.  They've been trying it since the 70s and it only furthers the image of the Church as out-of-touch.  The irony in that... now, that's hipster.

Good observation, and quite right, I think.

Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

EcceQuamBonum

This is exactly right.  It irritates me to no end the people who think that, if the Church just caves on this one other thing, that's going to bring in all the disgruntled youths who are apparently camped out in the parking lot of every parish, just waiting for Holy Mother Church to change her mind about gays or women or whatever the complaint of the day is.  The "relevance" crowd fails to realize that the unchurched use the "I don't go to church because it's mean to [gay people, women, etc.]" excuse simply because they have just enough of a vestigial sense of commitment that they feel that the should have some excuse not to be there.  They don't actually intend ever to return to church.  There is nothing the Church could do by way of kowtowing at the altar of relevance that will bring a single one of them back into the fold. 

If they made me the marketing director of a diocese, I'd hinge my whole campaign on being as offensive and in-your-face as possible.  My ads would feature huge, bloody Crucifixes with catchy little slogans like, "Does this make you uncomfortable?  Then you can go to Hell. (Literally.)"  We'd succeed in angering the right people (namely, all the bourgie, sentimental types who think that the only mortal sin left is to offend sensibilities), and I guarantee you we'd manage to win back a few souls.  Some people would appreciate that there is still one group of people which is so sufficiently un-cynical and un-ironic that it's willing to breathe a little fire in defense of the Truth.  Crusader Evangelization, we'll call it.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Anthony Benedict

EQB, stand by.

We're negotiating a cardinalcy for you.   ;)

Just don't go native on us...

LouisIX

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on April 28, 2013, 01:01:35 PM

This is exactly right.  It irritates me to no end the people who think that, if the Church just caves on this one other thing, that's going to bring in all the disgruntled youths who are apparently camped out in the parking lot of every parish, just waiting for Holy Mother Church to change her mind about gays or women or whatever the complaint of the day is.  The "relevance" crowd fails to realize that the unchurched use the "I don't go to church because it's mean to [gay people, women, etc.]" excuse simply because they have just enough of a vestigial sense of commitment that they feel that the should have some excuse not to be there.  They don't actually intend ever to return to church.  There is nothing the Church could do by way of kowtowing at the altar of relevance that will bring a single one of them back into the fold. 

And why should they want to return to Church?  Every man is his own theologian.  If God exists then He doesn't really care what you do so long as you're nice.  I get nothing out of going to Mass.  It's not for me.

It serves no function for the modern individual.  It fails at entertainment, which is all the modern individual is looking for.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Anthony Benedict on April 28, 2013, 03:20:36 PM
EQB, stand by.

We're negotiating a cardinalcy for you.   ;)

Just don't go native on us...

Hahaha.  Non accepto!   ;D

Quote from: LouisIX on April 28, 2013, 04:42:43 PM
It fails at entertainment...

I thought that's what all the balloons and scantily-clad dancers were about?
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Archer

And why should they want to return to Church?  Every man is his own theologian.  If God exists then He doesn't really care what you do so long as you're nice.  I get nothing out of going to Mass.  It's not for me.

It serves no function for the modern individual.  It fails at entertainment, which is all the modern individual is looking for.

This. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LouisIX

Quote from: Archer on April 28, 2013, 07:41:51 PM

This.

I'm amazed at how otherwise intelligent people are unable to recognize that the "spiritual but not religious" thing is merely a case of believing what sounds nice to you.

Want something to be the case theologically or spiritually?  Then it's true.

Archer

Quote from: LouisIX on April 28, 2013, 09:11:06 PM

This.

I'm amazed at how otherwise intelligent people are unable to recognize that the "spiritual but not religious" thing is merely a case of believing what sounds nice to you.

Right.  Which makes it easy to understand the mass exodus from Catholicism over the last 50 years, or why your average pew sitter knows basically nothing about the faith.  If all people are told is they have to be nice, or if the faith is reduced down to the flavor of the month, then in their mind there is essentially nothing separating it from every other organized religion.  As long as you're "basically a good person" then it's all good. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LouisIX

Quote from: Archer on April 28, 2013, 11:01:36 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on April 28, 2013, 09:11:06 PM

This.

Right.  Which makes it easy to understand the mass exodus from Catholicism over the last 50 years, or why your average pew sitter knows basically nothing about the faith.  If all people are told is they have to be nice, or if the faith is reduced down to the flavor of the month, then in their mind there is essentially nothing separating it from every other organized religion.  As long as you're "basically a good person" then it's all good.

Right.

I attended Catholic school from Kindergarten through 12th grade.  I couldn't have cared less about the Church or religion until in my 11th year when I had a teacher that, for the first time ever, presented Catholicism without any worry of how we'd take it.

Funnily enough, that's what it took for most of us to finally take to it.

Penelope