Grown Men Playing Video Games

Started by Alphonsus Jr., April 21, 2013, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stitchmom

Quote from: totiusque on April 24, 2013, 02:04:24 AM
I'm a lifelong gamer, but if I could go back in time and destroy the original 'Pong', I would do it in a heartbeat.  I can't tell you how many hours of my life have been wasted on video games.  True, "if done in moderation" sounds great, but games are made to be addictive, and saying "I'm only gonna play 30 minutes" is much easier said than done, especially when you're still in your teens and early 20s.

Not only that, but games can be utterly stressful, like when you're stuck in a level or can't beat a Boss or something.  Since getting married, though, I've pretty much kicked the habit, but I still have my cravings to try out new RPGs or first-person shooters.  Now I've resigned myself to games on my Android devices and kept our kids' playing time to a minimum on their Wii.

I definitely see the addiction part with my son. He is usually am obedient kid but he seems to lose all track of time when he is on a game. I also see how upset he gets if he has to get off before saving or if he is helping others or something.. it's not healthy to be that upset over something that isn't real.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: totiusque on April 24, 2013, 02:04:24 AM
I'm a lifelong gamer, but if I could go back in time and destroy the original 'Pong', I would do it in a heartbeat.  I can't tell you how many hours of my life have been wasted on video games.  True, "if done in moderation" sounds great, but games are made to be addictive, and saying "I'm only gonna play 30 minutes" is much easier said than done, especially when you're still in your teens and early 20s.

And I've done the same thing with reading, all my life.  "Just one more chapter" turns into half a book.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Greg

The more 'Tads' we let onto this forum the less I post.

I hardly bother with Fisheaters now and there is not enough activity at CI to get addicted to.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Greg on April 24, 2013, 03:52:09 PM

I hardly bother with Fisheaters now and there is not enough activity at CI to get addicted to.
whats a tad?
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on April 24, 2013, 04:41:43 PM

whats a tad?

"tad:" A little bit.  A derivative of "trad" to indicate one who is "trad" but just a little bit.  A neo-trad, in essence, but without the annoyance of having another word with the prefix of "neo."
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

tradne4163

I used to play video games a lot. But I sold my PS3 a little over a year or so ago (the same year I got a regular Blu-Ray player for Christmas). Then I played the Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64 on and off. It's been months since I last played anything other than simple point and click types on Facebook or my Android. The two or three I play now take mere minutes per session. My main one, called Kingdoms Live, is mostly set and forget.

That's my little contribution.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Greg

Quote from: Mithrandylan on April 24, 2013, 04:45:11 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on April 24, 2013, 04:41:43 PM

whats a tad?

"tad:" A little bit.  A derivative of "trad" to indicate one who is "trad" but just a little bit.  A neo-trad, in essence, but without the annoyance of having another word with the prefix of "neo."

a trad without the roarrrr.  Without the rad.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LaramieHirsch

Huh.  You know, it's the same with me.  I just don't post as much anymore.  Too busy hanging out with the kids.  Most time I get alone, I'm planning some new project for the family.  I really want a patio this year.  The whole gang would.

Which reminds me.  I need to post a photo here or back on FE or on the blog or somewhere of the rabbit hutch I finished this spring.  The whole operation is in full swing at this point.  Just need things to dry up a bit.  (Thank God the drought is over, for now.)
"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

The Harlequin King

The post was addressed to women, but I'm over 22 and I play video games. It's not terribly difficult to find a woman who enjoys video games as much as I do.

To add some context, as a general rule, I'm only interested in games that have a substantial storyline and/or "moral choices" to make (like role-playing games). People in this thread have mentioned casual games like Mario Party or Mario Kart, but I'd never go out of my way to play those. I also never play handheld or mobile games. Some posters here might find my taste far more insidious than that of casual gamers, though, because I only like to play games that demand a lot of attention.

voxxpopulisuxx

Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

The Harlequin King

Hey, Voxx. I don't know, I just lost track of posting on forums for a while. I got a new job, I suppose, and I was also going back to school. But I haven't actually gone anywhere. I'm glad to be back posting.

Further clarification on games: I do have a few casual games for parties. I still like to play Rock Band 3, for example, and I have some fighting games. I just got Injustice recently (the fighting game with characters from DC Comics). But I never really get into those unless I have friends over. Otherwise, the games I preoccupy myself with are ones like Deus Ex, Dragon Age, The Witcher, and so on.