My cousin is marrying to a muslim in a secular party room. Can I go?

Started by catholicindoubt, May 01, 2023, 11:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catholicindoubt

My (kinda distant) cousin was a non-practicing Catholic and she married a muslim guy in a mosque but now she is making a party in a secular party room (not a mosque) and invited me and my family. If I go I can probably avoid reciting any prayer or engaging in non Catholic practices, but can I go there without committing mortal sin or should I simply not attend it?

I know the modern Church allows some mixed marriages, but I'm pretty sure she apostatized when she married in a mosque.

diaduit

You are not attending the actual wedding ceremony right?

So you are going to a party right?

No sin but better than me can answer it.  Also for distant cousins we can decline here in Ireland and just send a gift instead.

catholicindoubt

Quote from: diaduit on May 02, 2023, 12:59:49 AMYou are not attending the actual wedding ceremony right?


They already made a ceremony in the mosque, I think they will have a little ceremony and then the party, but I'm not sure if it will be secular (the husband is not that devout) or will have some muslim stuff.

diaduit

Quote from: catholicindoubt on May 02, 2023, 01:09:14 AM
Quote from: diaduit on May 02, 2023, 12:59:49 AMYou are not attending the actual wedding ceremony right?


They already made a ceremony in the mosque, I think they will have a little ceremony and then the party, but I'm not sure if it will be secular (the husband is not that devout) or will have some muslim stuff.

on a side note, husband is not devout now but wait until a son is born he will suddenly become devout and hostile

Kent

By the 1917 CIC, those baptized in the Catholic Church (even if they cease practicing) cannot validly marry the non-baptized. If you believe that, seems difficult to join in any celebration. There's nothing to celebrate.
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

Therese

If the party is for celebrating the "marriage", no you can not attend. You would be celebrating a sin.

james03

In addition, there is always the chance they carve off your head.  So there is that to consider.

I think going will cause scandal.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

drummerboy

Simply by attending even the reception party, you are still giving approval to the union.  What else is the party for? And Kent is right.  Once baptized Catholic, always baptized.  It's a blessing or a curse, whatever we want to make of it.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

californiacatholic

Quote from: catholicindoubt on May 01, 2023, 11:19:50 PMMy (kinda distant) cousin was a non-practicing Catholic and she married a muslim guy in a mosque but now she is making a party in a secular party room (not a mosque) and invited me and my family. If I go I can probably avoid reciting any prayer or engaging in non Catholic practices, but can I go there without committing mortal sin or should I simply not attend it?

I know the modern Church allows some mixed marriages, but I'm pretty sure she apostatized when she married in a mosque.

Seems like 100% a better idea to ask your Priest
Lord make me an instrument of thy peace

AlNg

I don't know about interfaith marriages, but I know that Catholics celebrate SS weddings all the time. They have SS couples at the local Catholic schools, and I get a Catholic college news magazine where they congratulate alumni and alumnae on their SS weddings. Photos show the happy SS couple. Some time ago, I even read about a SS couple being warmly welcomed at the Vatican by Pope Francis.

TradGranny

Quote from: AlNg on May 02, 2023, 04:05:18 PMI don't know about interfaith marriages, but I know that Catholics celebrate SS weddings all the time. They have SS couples at the local Catholic schools, and I get a Catholic college news magazine where they congratulate alumni and alumnae on their SS weddings. Photos show the happy SS couple. Some time ago, I even read about a SS couple being warmly welcomed at the Vatican by Pope Francis.

Who are these "Catholics" of whom you speak? You need new friends.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

diaduit

Geez, I have refused to attend secular marriage ceremonies but I have gone to the party at a later stage, my sister in law being one!!!

AlNg

Quote from: TradGranny on May 02, 2023, 04:25:33 PMWho are these "Catholics" of whom you speak? You need new friends.
Yes. I am always happy to welcome new friends, especially those of high character such as are found on this fabulous forum. Anyway, the Catholics in charge of the local college alumni magazine, are perhaps most responsible for congratulating those alumni celebrating their SS marriage.

TradGranny

Quote from: AlNg on May 03, 2023, 02:51:33 AM
Quote from: TradGranny on May 02, 2023, 04:25:33 PMWho are these "Catholics" of whom you speak? You need new friends.
Yes. I am always happy to welcome new friends, especially those of high character such as are found on this fabulous forum. Anyway, the Catholics in charge of the local college alumni magazine, are perhaps most responsible for congratulating those alumni celebrating their SS marriage.

Are we talking about nominal "Catholics", cultural "Catholics" or NO "Catholics"?

Maybe we should call them CINOs -- Catholics in Name Only.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

CatholicStudyAttempt

Quote from: catholicindoubt on May 01, 2023, 11:19:50 PMI know the modern Church allows some mixed marriages, but I'm pretty sure she apostatized when she married in a mosque.

  The good news is- in my experience anyways- religion tends to change in the direction of the wife, at least when it comes to the children. Not always, but it's possible.