I think my Lenten fast made me ill.

Started by awkward customer, April 14, 2023, 03:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

Could someone please post a link to detailed Keto diet? I'd like to give it a shot again. But this time I'd like to follow it religiously.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

drummerboy

Quote from: Lynne on April 15, 2023, 09:44:01 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on April 15, 2023, 09:40:43 AM
Quote from: martin88nyc on April 15, 2023, 12:36:33 AMGreat post. This is my cup of tea but without sugar. no pun intended.
Is honey allowed on Keto. I totally forgot how to eat Keto way. I've done it before and the effects were wonderful. My friend swears by it and so do I.

At 17 grams of sugar per TBSP honey is high on the glycemic index, compared to maple syrup which only has 13 grams.  But if you limit yourself to minute quantities and watch other carbs it's permitted. 
  Interestingly, some carnivores will eat honey, because it is an animal product after all (recall that carnivore does not strictly mean zero carb, as dairy has lactose and is an animal product).  And it's health benefits are too numerous and recorded to eschew completely.

Honey just shouldn't be heated to a high temperature though if one wants all its health benefits.

Good point, I forgot to mention that. Always buy raw, unpasteurized/unfiltered honey. And get it local if you can, it'll help the body deal with local allergen and pollens. 

And the best thing about honey being carnivore is you can still make mead and be carnivore....😎
"My hope is the Father, my refuge is the Son, my protection is the Holy Spirit.  Holy Trinity, glory to You." 
"All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God; guard me under your protection."

drummerboy

Quote from: martin88nyc on April 15, 2023, 11:14:53 AMCould someone please post a link to detailed Keto diet? I'd like to give it a shot again. But this time I'd like to follow it religiously.

Just check out YouTube.  My favorite doctors to listen too are: Ken Berry, Shawn Baker, and Robert Kiltz.  Dr. Kiltz calls it a keto lifestyle vs diet (sometimes he'll mix some fruity spirituality in there but his medical knowledge is gold and he gives advice for free on his weekly "meat-ups"), and he's got a point.  Once you're free of carb addiction and eating simple, healthy, filling meals once or twice a day, your time is freed up and things are just simplified, you gotta try it to know it.
Also, while not a medical doctor, Anthony Stine, aka The Practical Carnivore, has alot of helpful videos for those starting this diet.  He's also a traditional Catholic who has the Return to Tradition channel.
"My hope is the Father, my refuge is the Son, my protection is the Holy Spirit.  Holy Trinity, glory to You." 

martin88nyc

thank you. This would greatly help in the spiritual life as well. Thinking about food all the time isn't very conducive to semi contemplative life
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

drummerboy

Quote from: martin88nyc on April 15, 2023, 03:17:35 PMthank you. This would greatly help in the spiritual life as well. Thinking about food all the time isn't very conducive to semi contemplative life

No problem.  Any other questions feel free to PM or ask around, I believe Heinrich does keto.  Maybe James03?  Julio does OMAD.  As far as the spiritual life goes, it does feel rather sumptuous to feast on meats and fat daily, but its actually quite the disciplined life and diet, as you must daily turn down alot of food (like the donuts someone brought to work), and even more so if you do one meal a day (OMAD).

Julio

^^Yes, I am really on OMAD and on YouTube, I like those lessons from Jason Fung. I like Ken Berry too.

One thing that is great about it is the regimen is very helpful for spiritual growth. God bless all.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Julio

Actually, I started the basics with Dr. Berg because he has very short videos which are very understandable. I am more into Fung's video when I was able to learn them from Berg's.

I just want to share to everyone that before I transformed myself to renew my Catholicism and prioritize the faith, I got first into intermittent fasting. I mean my psychology before I engaged in this kind of lifestyle was entirely different. I used to be among the typical baptized Catholic who behaves like a Protestant and thought that the comforts of the world was practical thus I had the idea that same sex marriage was fine on the perspective of equality of rights. I mean, there are really evils in us that can be ejected by fasting.

drummerboy

I think Dr. Berg is a charlatan.  Yes, he'll have some good info, and alot of people get started watching him, but I think he just goes along with what's popular, hence his own hopping on the keto band wagon.  Watch some of his old videos to see what I mean. Whereas, many of the keto doctors on YT either healed themselves first with Paleo or keto, and even getting on the carnivore diet, as they noticed the results in themselves, or from patients reporting their results.  Berg is very shy with actual patient treatments. Some of his stuff is just whacky, like claiming diabetics need 7000 mg of potassium daily. On the contrary,Dr. Bernstein, himself a diabetic and creator of a highly successful diabetes regimen (unlike Dr. Berg, the chiropractor), says nothing of the kind!  Plus, there's something creepy about the guy (who actually doesn't look very healthy in his recent videos either, very "skin and bones" in the face), besides the recent revelation he's a Scientologist, and apparently in real life a jackass.  Notice he always wears blue, a color meant to relax and calm you.  Then he always talks in this calm, fatherly, monotone voice; again, very carefully constructed, to lull you into trusting him.  It took me quite a while to realize his whole channel is a carefully crafted scheme.  Notice he never has guest speakers on?  Its always about him.

Julio

^^I notice that too. However, I am not so sure about my observation drummerboy, and that is among the reasons I don't watch him anymore because he stated inconsistent matters like on his first videos he told his viewers that to eat apple everyday was fine and after two to three years he recanted that. I see him like Thomas DeLauer and Mike Mutzel who just want to sell their products online. So I focus on Jason Fung's video because it is more in keeping with medical truths.

Heinrich

5.8 million subs and many 100's of thousands of testimonies give credence.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

drummerboy

Quote from: Heinrich on April 16, 2023, 05:06:53 PM5.8 million subs and many 100's of thousands of testimonies give credence.

It also means he's just good at production.  I never said he gives bad advice, he's just all over the place with his views, going along with what's popular, like Julio said, and he's looking to sell.

I think part of his popularity is many of his videos are click-bait, things like "what happens when you drink lemon water every day," et al.  And they're just the right length for binge consumption