I think my Lenten fast made me ill.

Started by awkward customer, April 14, 2023, 03:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awkward customer

I gave up sugar for Lent and cut down on carbohydrates.  After four weeks I woke up one morning with a headache, nausea and extreme fatigue.  This went on for nearly week although the headache and nausea were not as bad as on that first day.  But they were still there, permanently, nagging away in the background.  I also had problems sleeping.

Then, out of the blue the thought came to me - I must have some sugar.  There was no argument to be had.  It wasn't like a craving that had to be satisfied, but more like a statement of fact.

So I had a cup of tea with a load of sugar in it and the nausea went away immediately.  Then, more gradually, the headache subsided and had completely gone by the next day.  When I googled the side effects of giving up sugar completely, there were lists of symptoms on various websites which included - nausea, headaches, fatigue, sleep problems, depression etc.

Apparently some people get symptoms like this when they go on a Keto diet.  Keto flu, they call it.

AlfredtheGreat

Quote from: awkward customer on April 14, 2023, 03:28:11 AMI gave up sugar for Lent and cut down on carbohydrates.  After four weeks I woke up one morning with a headache, nausea and extreme fatigue.  This went on for nearly week although the headache and nausea were not as bad as on that first day.  But they were still there, permanently, nagging away in the background.  I also had problems sleeping.

Then, out of the blue the thought came to me - I must have some sugar.  There was no argument to be had.  It wasn't like a craving that had to be satisfied, but more like a statement of fact.

So I had a cup of tea with a load of sugar in it and the nausea went away immediately.  Then, more gradually, the headache subsided and had completely gone by the next day.  When I googled the side effects of giving up sugar completely, there were lists of symptoms on various websites which included - nausea, headaches, fatigue, sleep problems, depression etc.

Apparently some people get symptoms like this when they go on a Keto diet.  Keto flu, they call it.

All normal when cutting out carbs. When you feel like garbage it means your body is starting to burn fat instead of carb reserves. It's very important to stay well hydrated when this starts to happen.

And don't forget the irritable mood, bad breath and B.O that accompanies keto  :D
These people are crazy

Heinrich

Sorry to hear, Awkie. I thought you were a carnivore diet dame. Anyway, more salt, water next time.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kent

Yes, that's the keto flu. Although usually it will start much sooner-- like four days, not four weeks, from eliminating or drastically reducing carbs.
I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

drummerboy

You likely didn't cut down on carbs enough to get into ketosis, so you were in a grey zone between ketosis and you're body telling you you're starving because it's not getting enough carbs. If you estimate you were eating 50 grams or less of carbs per day you were most likely in ketosis however. And you are correct in your assumption that it was a sugar deprivation reaction. More reason to cut the crap out of the diet.

@AlfredtheGreat these are temporary symptoms of entering ketosis.  Now when I cheat, as on holidays, I really regret it, first because the sugar makes me crabby, and then reentering ketosis. I almost made it through Easter dinner without dessert, I'll get there eventually.
 As for B.O.: I stopped using deodorant weeks ago and so far no complaints from the wife, I didn't even tell her. Dr. Saladino had a video about it some time ago, don't put junk in your body and you won't reek. I thought it was another quirky idea from a quirky doctor, until I tried it.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Julio

^^That's right drummerboy, your body odor shall change when in ketosis. Yes, when taking much carbs or sugar they can make you feel gloomy. In my case, if I eat sugary or food with carbs and incoporate that in my single meal for the day, I lift hevier weights in the morning the following day so that I am able to consume it through my muscles.

Last Good Friday, I did not eat the whole day and just drank water and brewed coffee. I broke my fast on the noon of Black Saturday. It was a good fast and thanks God.

awkward customer

Quote from: drummerboy on April 14, 2023, 08:51:26 AMIf you estimate you were eating 50 grams or less of carbs per day you were most likely in ketosis however. And you are correct in your assumption that it was a sugar deprivation reaction. More reason to cut the crap out of the diet.


After googling what 50 grams of carbs is in terms of slices of bread or numbers of potatoes, I was more than likely on 50 grams or less.  And with no sugar intake either.

So, it was Keto flu then.  I actually vomited on the first day.  Is that part of it?  I was also incredibly thirsty most of the time and had a strange taste in my mouth.

I doubt if I eat more than 100 grams of carbs a day normally, and not much sugar. 

awkward customer

Quote from: AlfredtheGreat on April 14, 2023, 06:18:57 AMWhen you feel like garbage it means your body is starting to burn fat instead of carb reserves. It's very important to stay well hydrated when this starts to happen.

And don't forget the irritable mood, bad breath and B.O that accompanies keto  :D


I'm now wondering why burning fat instead of carb reserves is considered to be beneficial.

awkward customer

Quote from: Heinrich on April 14, 2023, 06:44:11 AMAnyway, more salt, water next time.

I'm not sure a next time is a good idea.

I was drinking loads of water anyway, and still couldn't shake off my thirst.

awkward customer

Quote from: Kent on April 14, 2023, 07:28:08 AMYes, that's the keto flu. Although usually it will start much sooner-- like four days, not four weeks, from eliminating or drastically reducing carbs.

I felt no bad effects for four weeks.  I kept wanting something sweet but found it quite easy to say no.  And then it just hit me .....

drummerboy

You had an extremely peculiar reaction, I haven't heard of one like this, especially vomiting.  Normally you'll start feeling better after a week.  I'm not a doctor so I can only relate from my experience and from what others have experienced.  Yours really stands out.  Sorry I haven't been much help
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

martin88nyc

Great post. This is my cup of tea but without sugar. no pun intended.
Is honey allowed on Keto. I totally forgot how to eat Keto way. I've done it before and the effects were wonderful. My friend swears by it and so do I.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Baylee

Glad you're feeling better now AC.

drummerboy

Quote from: martin88nyc on April 15, 2023, 12:36:33 AMGreat post. This is my cup of tea but without sugar. no pun intended.
Is honey allowed on Keto. I totally forgot how to eat Keto way. I've done it before and the effects were wonderful. My friend swears by it and so do I.

At 17 grams of sugar per TBSP honey is high on the glycemic index, compared to maple syrup which only has 13 grams.  But if you limit yourself to minute quantities and watch other carbs it's permitted. 
  Interestingly, some carnivores will eat honey, because it is an animal product after all (recall that carnivore does not strictly mean zero carb, as dairy has lactose and is an animal product).  And it's health benefits are too numerous and recorded to eschew completely.

- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Lynne

Quote from: drummerboy on April 15, 2023, 09:40:43 AM
Quote from: martin88nyc on April 15, 2023, 12:36:33 AMGreat post. This is my cup of tea but without sugar. no pun intended.
Is honey allowed on Keto. I totally forgot how to eat Keto way. I've done it before and the effects were wonderful. My friend swears by it and so do I.

At 17 grams of sugar per TBSP honey is high on the glycemic index, compared to maple syrup which only has 13 grams.  But if you limit yourself to minute quantities and watch other carbs it's permitted. 
  Interestingly, some carnivores will eat honey, because it is an animal product after all (recall that carnivore does not strictly mean zero carb, as dairy has lactose and is an animal product).  And it's health benefits are too numerous and recorded to eschew completely.


Honey just shouldn't be heated to a high temperature though if one wants all its health benefits.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

    "My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"