Complete Works of St. Teresa of Avila, tr. by E. Allison Peers

Started by Bernadette, March 26, 2024, 08:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Has anybody read any part of this? How is it? Is it flowery? I'm considering buying it used, to compare with the ICS Publications version.
My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

E.A. Peers translated many works of the Spanish mystics, and is a recognized authority on them.  I've read some of his translations and they are pleasant to read, not flowery at all, I highly recommend. 
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

EastWest7

Quote from: drummerboy on March 26, 2024, 08:18:58 AME.A. Peers translated many works of the Spanish mystics, and is a recognized authority on them.  I've read some of his translations and they are pleasant to read, not flowery at all, I highly recommend. 

Same here.
Before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Southern Ascetic

I have the complete works of Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross translated by Peers. It's the best translation into English bar none.

Annas-archive.org has all his translation works for free epub and pdf

Bernadette

Quote from: Southern Ascetic on March 26, 2024, 06:53:16 PMI have the complete works of Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross translated by Peers. It's the best translation into English bar none.
Even better than Kieran Kavanaugh's ICS Publications translation? Wow! Edit: Just found a matching set in hardcover on Ebay. I've always wanted a hardcover set of her complete works. Never thought I'd find one!
My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

Quote from: Bernadette on March 27, 2024, 05:52:49 AM
Quote from: Southern Ascetic on March 26, 2024, 06:53:16 PMI have the complete works of Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross translated by Peers. It's the best translation into English bar none.
Even better than Kieran Kavanaugh's ICS Publications translation? Wow! Edit: Just found a matching set in hardcover on Ebay. I've always wanted a hardcover set of her complete works. Never thought I'd find one!

Do you have William Thomas Walsh's biography of St. Teresa?  TAN used to publish it, not sure why they dropped it.  Actually, they dropped all of Walsh's books.  A stupid shame, honestly, they are unparrelled. I hope they didn't cave to accusations of anti-semitism.

Bernadette

Quote from: drummerboy on March 27, 2024, 08:29:20 AMDo you have William Thomas Walsh's biography of St. Teresa?  TAN used to publish it, not sure why they dropped it.  Actually, they dropped all of Walsh's books.  A stupid shame, honestly, they are unparrelled. I hope they didn't cave to accusations of anti-semitism.
Yes, I have it on kindle. It's excellent.
My Lord and my God.

Southern Ascetic

This translation of the Third Spiritual Alphabet is also very good. If you're into Carmelite spiritually as much as me, it's invaluable, even though it was written before the discalced reform, and by a Franciscan  ;D

https://www.traditionalcatholicpublishing.com/the-third-spiritual-alphabet.html

Bernadette

Quote from: Southern Ascetic on March 27, 2024, 05:26:25 PMThis translation of the Third Spiritual Alphabet is also very good. If you're into Carmelite spiritually as much as me, it's invaluable, even though it was written before the discalced reform, and by a Franciscan  ;D

I've always wanted to read this.
My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

Quote from: Southern Ascetic on March 27, 2024, 05:26:25 PMThis translation of the Third Spiritual Alphabet is also very good. If you're into Carmelite spiritually as much as me, it's invaluable, even though it was written before the discalced reform, and by a Franciscan  ;D

Didn't that book have a tremendous influence on St. Teresa?

Bernadette

Quote from: drummerboy on March 28, 2024, 08:31:12 AM

Didn't that book have a tremendous influence on St. Teresa?
Yes it did.
My Lord and my God.

Bonaventure

Congratulations. I own this en espaƱol. Truly a treasure.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."