Age of Empires II anyone?

Started by Melkor, March 01, 2021, 02:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

Anyone play AoE II DE? Interested in playing with you if you do. I am probably way too good for you though (totally kidding lol).  It being Lent and all we can arrange something for the weekend if you would like.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

The Curt Jester

As I said before, I have it, but not the DE edition.  I'm not playing any computer games during Lent, however (even on Sundays).  Just too much of a time sink, so I have to get away from it for a time.  I'm assuming DE is not backward compatible with the original, is it?
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Melkor

Yes, unfortunately it is not compatible.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Daniel

I'd love to play except that I don't own it either :(

(I probably wouldn't be very good at it anyway though, at least not at first... I've only ever played the game once in my life, at a LAN party, and that was over a decade ago. I recall it was fun though.)

Melkor

It is really fun if you are into rts games or like anything medieval. When I bought the game it was on sale on Steam for 10 bucks. If you do decide to get it let me know😃

Prayerful

It really brings memories back. Age of Kings was and remains a very well made, well balanced RTS.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Melkor

Quote from: Prayerful on March 12, 2021, 04:49:35 PM
It really brings memories back. Age of Kings was and remains a very well made, well balanced RTS.

The Definitive Edition is like a more refined version of the Age of Kings. Much better graphics and many more civs, without feeling like it has departed from the classic version.

Melkor

Steam Sale! Aoe II DE is 13 bucks now!

The Curt Jester

I'm considering getting it again, but I need to research more on Win 7 and AOE2:DE.  Some people say you can get it to work, but I'd hate to buy something that I couldn't be sure I could run.

Prayerful

Quote from: The Curt Jester on April 10, 2021, 11:41:03 AM
I'm considering getting it again, but I need to research more on Win 7 and AOE2:DE.  Some people say you can get it to work, but I'd hate to buy something that I couldn't be sure I could run.

The Steam definitive edition poses no problem to most PCs. I have the original CDs somewhere, but I have my doubts as to whether it'll work.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Prayerful on April 10, 2021, 05:07:49 PM
Quote from: The Curt Jester on April 10, 2021, 11:41:03 AM

The Steam definitive edition poses no problem to most PCs. I have the original CDs somewhere, but I have my doubts as to whether it'll work.

That's what I gathered from what I read.  It seems that the problem existed, but a newer patch fixed it.  So now it's a question of whether or not my ailing computer can handle it.  It's been on its death bed for about three years now.

The Curt Jester

Well, it works fine (so far) on my ancient PC.  Melkor, I'd be up for trying a multiplayer game, but I think it would have to wait about a week because I don't have much free time available this week.

Melkor

Roger that, let me know when you want to set up a game.

Melkor

Steam summer sale; DE is 15 bucks.