TLM Shutdown

Started by Heinrich, January 19, 2024, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severinus

Quote from: awkward customer on February 06, 2024, 07:49:37 AM
Quote from: Severinus on February 02, 2024, 03:09:29 PMIdk about architects, but in my experience, trades who know both systems prefer imperial. It's just psychologically stickier in an intangible way. A lot of European trades have no meaningful experience with imperial and can't even talk from experience, usually their views come down to bluster about the inferiority of America.

In the UK, architects have been metric for many decades.  And the trades manage very well.

And you're right about European and British trades having no meaningful experience with imperial.  But no-one's blustering about the American way of doing things. We just think it's daft.

I'm intrigued that someone who prefers to imagine she lives in a medieval cosmos would strongly prefer the metric system to the imperial one. After all, the latter is based on the ancient worldview where the study and measurement of the night sky is related to the proportions of the human body and further to the dimensions of the Earth and Moon. Not always clearly and consistently, with fluctuations over centuries, but that is its basis. Have you read up on this subject?

awkward customer

Quote from: Severinus on February 06, 2024, 09:49:32 AMI'm intrigued that someone who prefers to imagine she lives in a medieval cosmos would strongly prefer the metric system to the imperial one. After all, the latter is based on the ancient worldview where the study and measurement of the night sky is related to the proportions of the human body and further to the dimensions of the Earth and Moon. Not always clearly and consistently, with fluctuations over centuries, but that is its basis. Have you read up on this subject?

I would never have thought of that. 

I did know about the connection between the development of the imperial scale and dimensions of the human body because I learned it at school.  I was brought up with imperial and had to work with inches, feet, yards, furlongs etc as well as temperatures in fahrenheit and weights in ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweight, tons.

It's possible that the imperial scale 'triggers' me.

But hey, it's quite sweet that Americans are attached to imperial. Don't change.   We still drive on the left.

james03

You can rest assured that we will also maintain the British Thermal Unit (BTU).
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"