Spirituality - And The War On Meaning

Started by Vetus Ordo, May 23, 2019, 01:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 24, 2019, 08:06:58 AM
Aside from the disheveled appearance...

What weight do you give to appearance?

Does it actually interfere with the substance of the argument being presented?
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Maximilian

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 24, 2019, 11:00:18 AM

Yes, of course it does. Everyone knows that.

Sempronius

Quote from: Maximilian on May 24, 2019, 11:11:53 AM

An aphorism from Oscar Wilde, who always wanted to outrage Victorian society:
"It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible...."

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Maximilian on May 24, 2019, 11:11:53 AM

Besides the fallacious aspect of it, since the content is not related to outward casing, how superficial would you consider it?
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Maximilian on May 23, 2019, 03:06:56 PM
Shave, comb your hair, put on a shirt.

One can hardly claim to be a representative of traditional views dressed like that.

If you're going to appear on YouTube with 5:00 shadow at least have the decency to pour yourself a rusty nail
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Gardener

St. John the Baptist:Ye brood of vipers, who hath shewed you to flee from the wrath to come? [8] Bring forth therefore fruit worthy of penance. [9] And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham for our father. For I tell you that God is able of these stones to raise up children to Abraham. [10] For now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that doth not yield good fruit, shall be cut down, and cast into the fire.

Pharisees/Sadducees: You're dressed like a slob so we ain't listenin'

----

Matthew 3, Artistic License Edition

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Mono no aware

It depends on the context.  But if someone wants to tell us about the death of spirituality and meaning in Western civilization, it behooves him or her to look like someone we can take seriously.  If he couldn't be bothered to dress up, then he could've made it a podcast and put up a suitable visual.  I find the "casual vibe" annoying.  I don't think appearance is everything, though.  A person can work from a deficit and still do well.  As I said, Robert M. Price's insights are not ruined by his often slovenly presentation, nor his nasal New Jerseyan nerd cadences.  With his Birkenstocks and tent-sized shirts and glasses sliding down his nose, he could still make mincemeat of this handsome young alt-right martial artist in his sharp turtleneck and blazer.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 24, 2019, 01:34:46 PM
But if someone wants to tell us about the death of spirituality and meaning in Western civilization, it behooves him or her to look like someone we can take seriously.

Absence of beard, a proper shirt and combed hair are necessary traits for someone to be taken seriously?

What would you posit as minimum requirements?

Mono no aware

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 24, 2019, 01:37:38 PM
Absence of beard, a proper shirt and combed hair are necessary traits for someone to be taken seriously?

Necessary, no.  A person can dig themselves a hole however deep, so long as they're able to get out of it.  There are no minimum requirements.  But if you don't look the part, don't compound your problem by implying there's an initiatic program I'm not registered in, or some gnostic golden goodie I need to find.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 24, 2019, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 24, 2019, 01:37:38 PM

Necessary, no.  A person can dig themselves a hole however deep, so long as they're able to get out of it.  There are no minimum requirements. But if you don't look the part, don't compound your problem by implying there's an initiatic program I'm not registered in, or some gnostic golden goodie I need to find.

This is the part I'm not getting, I'm afraid.

Regardless of the merits or demerits of the man's argument, what is actually necessary to "look the part" when talking about seemingly traditional views?

Mono no aware

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 24, 2019, 01:50:10 PM
Regardless of the merits or demerits of the man's argument, what is actually necessary to "look the part" when talking about seemingly traditional views?

I think one would want a somewhat more formal presentation for that sort of thing, rather than a casual one.  YouTube so often looks like amateur hour; it makes a visual statement, in terms being favorable to conservatism or tradition, if you can at least start out with better than a t-shirt.  I do not say the t-shirt absolutely ruins the substance, of course.  It wounds it, but good enough substance can usually survive poor aesthetics.

Chestertonian

at least he's not at a strip mall like that video taylor marshall posted a while back https://gloria.tv/like/htcqq6LDuMJS2a8p2jX73hiyM

plinio oliviera would have a conniption fit because he's not wearing an ascot
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"