??????? ?? ??????:

Started by Ancilla Domini, June 17, 2014, 11:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 17, 2014, 10:07:18 PM
I just thought of another filmmaker of Armenian descent I admire: Atom Egoyan.  Usually.  His output is somewhat hit or miss.  One of the things I liked about devotedknuckles from Fish Eaters was that he considered Exotica an underrated minor masterpiece of a movie.  Which it really is.

It's funny you should mention Atom Egoyan. The singer whose video I posted earlier, Isabel Bayrakdarian, also performed part of the soundtrack for his film Ararat. I guess it's a small world when it comes to Armenia. :)

Roland Deschain2

I've always found Armenia an interesting place/culture. They're not quite European, not quite Asian. They suffered the most successful genocide attempt of the 20th Century at the hands of the Turks yet nobody seems to know or care.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CxKA1uETxE[/yt]

I'm also a fan of a certain Armenian band/artist.
"To our personal enemies, according to Christ's commandment, we must forgive everything; but with the enemies of God we cannot have peace!"- Archbishop Averky

"Life is a play in which for a short time one man represents a judge, another a general, and so on; after the play no further account is made of the dignity which each one had."- St John Chrysostom

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on June 18, 2014, 03:31:19 PMThey suffered the most successful genocide attempt of the 20th Century at the hands of the Turks yet nobody seems to know or care.

The Turks are still denying it.  :(

JuniorCouncilor

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on June 17, 2014, 11:51:28 AM
So... does anyone else here share my interest?

Kind of.  I like to call Armenia "the eldest daughter of the Church" in front of Frenchmen...

;)

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: JuniorCouncilor on June 18, 2014, 06:53:51 PM
Quote from: Ancilla Domini on June 17, 2014, 11:51:28 AM
So... does anyone else here share my interest?

Kind of.  I like to call Armenia "the eldest daughter of the Church" in front of Frenchmen...

;)

Most Frenchmen today wouldn't even get the reference.

Ancilla Domini

How to dance the Armenian Kochari: You know you want to!  :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ah4o_vWTE[/yt]

Ancilla Domini

Armenian food!  :)

From an Armenian food festival in San Francisco:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwEEFYhXBkk[/yt]

That's it! I'm going to Armenia!  :)

Machaut1377

Ancilla Domini do you know the page on the University of Texas website in which the give grammars to several languages including Armenian (and Albanian, Baltic, Old English, Old French, Gothic, Cl and NT Greek, Hittite, Old Iranian, Old Irish, Latin, Old Norse, Old Russian, Sanskrit, Old Slavonic, and Tocharian)?

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/armol-TC-X.html

Ancilla Domini

I hadn't actually seen it. Thank you for the link.  :)

The University of Texas is one of the few universities that offers Armenian. Unfortunately they only offer the classical language though, none of the modern varieties.

Landless Laborer

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on June 17, 2014, 01:11:33 PM
Hahaha! This girl is expressing her frustration with certain aspects of Armenian culture. But she's making me like it all the more!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRahAxp2Ia0[/yt]

Ah... these are my people!  :)
This girl reminds me of my sister-in-law, a second generation Greek.   I could write a sit-com based on their family interactions.  One example.  My brother's neighbor put in an elaborate pond and landscaping to attract birds, especially geese.  Irene's dad was coming over to visit, saw a goose crossing the road and intentionally ran it over, brought it in, and cooked it.   :rofl:  the neighbors don't like him...

I should quit while i'm ahead, but i can't stop.  The same neighbor, came over to a party.  She stood there in the middle of a crowd nursing her, i'm gonna say, three year old son!  Everybody's shocked, but nobody's saying anything.  Until Irene's dad arrives.  He takes one look at her, and launches into three or four minutes of dramatic hand-waving Gringlish. 
I'm with you Ancilla....old world people, these are my kind of people.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on August 09, 2014, 08:28:32 AM
This girl reminds me of my sister-in-law, a second generation Greek.   I could write a sit-com based on their family interactions.  One example.  My brother's neighbor put in an elaborate pond and landscaping to attract birds, especially geese.  Irene's dad was coming over to visit, saw a goose crossing the road and intentionally ran it over, brought it in, and cooked it.   :rofl:  the neighbors don't like him...

I should quit while i'm ahead, but i can't stop.  The same neighbor, came over to a party.  She stood there in the middle of a crowd nursing her, i'm gonna say, three year old son!  Everybody's shocked, but nobody's saying anything.  Until Irene's dad arrives.  He takes one look at her, and launches into three or four minutes of dramatic hand-waving Gringlish. 
I'm with you Ancilla....old world people, these are my kind of people.

:lol:

At least there are two of us, Landless!  :)