A Computer

Started by poche, February 19, 2013, 12:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut

I disagree.  I had Macs for years and last year I switched to Windows - tired of paying 3 times as  much for the same thing.

I did try Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint before settling for Windows - I liked all of them, especially Kubuntu - except for the small matter that none of them work! And if you can get them working properly, wait 5 minutes and they'll break again.
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf

Archer

My Dell is hanging on to life by its fingernails so I've put off buying a new one until I absolutely need to.

I think we've narrowed it down to either a Macbook Pro or an HP Envy, depending on how much I want to drop. 

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Penelope

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Lyubov

Quote from: Penelope on July 08, 2013, 06:29:44 PM

Unless you get tired of them breaking down on you...
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Pheo

Quote from: OzarkCatholic on June 28, 2013, 09:07:42 PM
Once you go Mac, you'll never go back  ;)

Reported for plagiarism.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Penelope

Quote from: Pheo on July 08, 2013, 09:03:29 PM
Quote from: OzarkCatholic on June 28, 2013, 09:07:42 PM
Once you go Mac, you'll never go back  ;)

Reported for plagiarism.

Ha. Was that in this thread? I didn't read the whole thing. I rarely read anything in this subforum, really.

Penelope

I thought I was being really clever, too.  :-\

LouisIX

Quote from: Penelope on July 08, 2013, 11:26:03 PM

At this point in human history, we're all just repeating things which have probably been said at least thousands of times before.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: LouisIX on July 09, 2013, 12:33:56 AM
Quote from: Penelope on July 08, 2013, 11:26:03 PM

At this point in human history, we're all just repeating things which have probably been said at least thousands of times before.
everythings a remix
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coGpmA4saEk[/yt]
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

peanut

By the way, while I'm here - I'm getting Linux cravings again.  Is there an easy way to set it up alongside Windows without using that silly installer that puts it on the same partition as Windows?  I was thinking maybe that's why it didn't work properly.

Does anyone even know what I'm talking about?
Latest article: Corporate assessment centres - deranged products of mercantile delusion: http://bit.ly/16Nq0Tf

Kaesekopf

Peanut:
Backup goodies on your computer
Wipe computer
Partition hard disk with Linux
Install Linux
Enjoy Linux
Install Windows on secondary partition
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

peanut

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 18, 2013, 11:31:32 PM
Peanut:
Wipe computer
Install Linux
Enjoy Linux

I tried that and it was too hard for my poor peanut brain :( Also I don't have a retail windows disc, only the restore disc that came with the computer.  Pity because Kubuntu was very nice to use, except when it wasn't.  ;D

Kaesekopf

Quote from: peanut on July 18, 2013, 11:35:34 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 18, 2013, 11:31:32 PM
Peanut:
Wipe computer
Install Linux
Enjoy Linux

I tried that and it was too hard for my poor peanut brain :( Also I don't have a retail windows disc, only the restore disc that came with the computer.  Pity because Kubuntu was very nice to use, except when it wasn't.  ;D

There are ways that you can repartition the Windows disk to make it smaller and install a Linux OS.

It's just really hard and liable to tank your Windows partition, because Windows is dumb.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

peanut

Darn. I'm too scared to try that. I guess next time I get a new computer I'll specifically look for a system that's reputed to work with Linux.  I can tolerate Windows 7 but I don't want none of this Win 8 nonsense!  :P

Archer

Well our dell officially died so my hand was forced.  I was tempted to go Mac, but we wanted a larger screen and the Macbook pro 15" was just too expensive.  Almost 2k for a laptop? I can't justify that right now

So I went with an HP Envy.   So far I like it with one major exception.  Windows 8.  Its dumb.  Imagine literally attempting to merge the tablet/smartphone world with the PC world and you have Windows 8.  It's worthless.  When you first start up the computer it takes you to your home screen which has all your apps on it.  Just like a tablet or smartphone you can download apps and it displays them on this screen.  But then at the bottom you have an icon labeled desktop which takes you to your regular windows desktop, minus the start button on the bottom.   So far it's a little difficult to get around just because you're never sure if you should be using the desktop or the app page.  I have a feeling I won't use the app page at all

But other than that it's a good machine.  It runs fast, the trackpad/mouse thing is ok once you get used to it, the raised keyboard makes typing easy, the HD screen is large, and it's an aesthetically pleasing laptop.  The best thing by far though is the sound.  The Envy uses Beats Audio which has incredible sound quality.  I think it's going to be a serviceable laptop for what we need.  Internet browsing/streaming movies.  I probably would have been happier with the Mac, but for $1000 bucks less this HP will do the trick. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney