Children's Missals

Started by Jayne, July 11, 2021, 09:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I am looking for recommendations for Children's missals that I can offer to my grandchildren when taking them to Mass with me.  When my own children were young, I attended the Novus Ordo, so I have no experience what is available for the TLM.

With one grandchild, I have been using this catechism which seems to be a good fit:

What missals would suit children at this level of reading and understanding?

At what age are children typically ready to use an adult missal?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Insanis

Quote from: Jayne on July 11, 2021, 09:00:39 AM
I am looking for recommendations for Children's missals that I can offer to my grandchildren when taking them to Mass with me.  When my own children were young, I attended the Novus Ordo, so I have no experience what is available for the TLM.

Pictures and basic explanations are helpful for children who can read and may have difficulty following the Mass. You can usually do well just by going to where good missals are sold and seeing what they have for children.

QuoteAt what age are children typically ready to use an adult missal?

In my experience, as a child there was an issue with visibility: it is hard to see what is going on. A missal with pictures in it is very helpful for following along and understanding it. I remember waiting for key moments so I could stay in sync.

There is no age. They are ready when they can read it and follow the Mass. I was given my missal when I was quite young. They were all bought at once as far as I know and it was given to me when I was old enough to take care of it. I still have it and it is in good condition still. So give them a missal when they can take care of it and after they can read. But they might not be able to use it immediately, so something with more pictures can be very helpful.

If a child is too young to follow the mass, children's books about lives of the saints are what I'd recommend.

Bernadette

Jesus Make Me Worthy is an excellent prayer book and missal. It's illustrated. Angelus Press and Amazon have it.
My Lord and my God.

Jayne

Looking at what is available, I can see they are for different ages.  Since my grandchildren range from 1 to 13, I should probably have several different missals at different levels.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Melkor

13 year old can use 1962 Daily Missal. Younger kids can use Jesus Make Me Worthy. When I was young, I used the latter until I had a good understanding of the Mass. Then I switched to the 1962. But I have been serving Mass every Sunday since I was about 8, so I rarely actually get to use my missal.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

MundaCorMeum

For the one year old (or children who cannot read), I would also suggest getting one of those 4 x 6 photo books with the protective sleeves in them, and putting an assortment of Holy cards and pictures (you could even print some things from Mass that you find online).   

Insanis

Quote from: Jayne on July 11, 2021, 10:17:42 AM
Looking at what is available, I can see they are for different ages.  Since my grandchildren range from 1 to 13, I should probably have several different missals at different levels.

If I remember correctly, I was around 7 when I was given custody of my missal.

13 is a young adult and should be using a missal and comporting themselves as an adult should.

Therese

St. Joseph Children's Missal:  https://tanbooks.com/catholic-kids-books/elementary-school-books/latin-mass-childrens-missal/
(The reprint is just title Children's Missal, but it is the St. Joseph one)

My See and Pray Missal: https://tanbooks.com/sanctification/spiritual-direction-books/my-see-and-pray-missal/

A good choice of a Daily Missal for the middling ages is the St. Joseph one: https://libers-com.3dcartstores.com/St-Joseph-Daily-Missal_p_2393.html

Angela

For the ages of 7-10, I personally like the "Marian Children's Missal" (available from Angelus Press), as it introduces the actual English text of the Mass, accompanied by pictures to help the children "keep up". After that, it's a full-sized daily missal.