Do you consider Prudence in all things?

Started by Insanis, July 11, 2021, 07:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insanis

Prudence is one of the four cardinal virtues, and it is somewhat special in its application.

A good definition and description is:

Quote from: Prudence, Catholic Encyclopedia
[Prududence is]...an intellectual habit enabling us to see in any given juncture of human affairs what is virtuous and what is not, and how to come at the one and avoid the other. It is to be observed that prudence, whilst possessing in some sort an empire over all the moral virtues, itself aims to perfect not the will but the intellect in its practical decisions. Its function is to point out which course of action is to be taken in any round of concrete circumstances. It indicates which, here and now, is the golden mean wherein the essence of all virtue lies. It has nothing to do with directly willing the good it discerns.

Prudence doesn't judge a thing to be good or bad. There is no way to be prudent while doing evil.

Therefore, this cardinal virtue is of paramount importance for anybody wishing to do good or be virtuous.

Doing things that are "good" without careful regard to the circumstances, means, timing, etc, of doing that good is to be imprudent, and that is a vice.

And on grave matters, imprudence is a mortal sin.

Prudence regulates the means of exercising virtue, without which, virtues would be perverted:

Quote from: Summa Theologica, Second Part of the Second Part, Question 47
Article 6. Whether prudence appoints the end to moral virtues?

On the contrary, The Philosopher says (Ethic. vi, 12) that "moral virtue ensures the rectitude of the intention of the end, while prudence ensures the rectitude of the means." Therefore it does not belong to prudence to appoint the end to moral virtues, but only to regulate the means.

Doing "good things" in a bad manner makes them bad.

Therefore, everything must be judged according to Prudence. Now, this does not mean any single conclusion other than this. Prudence may require extreme steadfast adherence, or it may require extreme discretion and silence. It may require a careful moderation of expression, or it may require a more forceful expression.

Being Prudent in any given circumstance depends on the circumstances.

Prudence is a cardinal virtue and quite basic: without it, we cannot be virtuous. Explicitly invoking it and having a "prudence" checklist is not necessary, but it should govern all things we do.

This is very basic and without a foundation in prudence, one will find it very difficult to be good in practice, especially in more sensitive things in which intuition doesn't help much most of the time.

So, do you consider Prudence in all things?

Elizabeth.2

I was so ignorant about Prudence forever.  A good and holy priest instructed me to read Josef Pieper on the Four Cardinal Virtues. 
I pray it penetrated my intellect; better late than never.