Paradox of the Stone

Started by Philip G., April 21, 2021, 12:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip G.

"Could God create a stone so heavy that even He could not lift it?"

Yes, it is called earth.  It doesn't move.

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

james03

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Daniel

Is discussion on geocentrism still banned? lol

I never liked this paradox, as it always seems to come across to me as a loaded question, or a nonsensical question. Of course God can't create a rock that is too heavy for Him to move. Does anybody in philosophy actually take this question seriously? It's not much of a paradox, nor is it a sound refutation of the existence of an omnipotent God.

Jayne

Quote from: Daniel on April 21, 2021, 02:48:27 PM

I never liked this paradox, as it always seems to come across to me as a loaded question, or a nonsensical question. Of course God can't create a rock that is too heavy for Him to move. Does anybody in philosophy actually take this question seriously? It's not much of a paradox, nor is it a sound refutation of the existence of an omnipotent God.

Nobody in philosophy takes it seriously.  It is used as an example of a nonsensical question. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Philip G.

Quote from: Daniel on April 21, 2021, 02:48:27 PM

I was thinking about putting it in coffee and donuts.  But I don't think it is entirely a laughing matter.  That paradox likely came onto the scene around the same time that the church began to tolerate/embrace heliocentrism.  Truth is stranger than fiction.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Philip G.

Quote from: james03 on April 21, 2021, 02:33:38 PM
That's a good one.

8) Especially if you are a G, and I don't mean gangsta.