The Parish Hall > The Geek Forum

Linux Shangrila

(1/3) > >>

james03:
I found the distro that I love.  Artix Linux.  I'm running it with the Xfrce desktop and OpenRC init system.  You can also use it with Runit or System V init.

It also can come with Mate or Cinnamon (Gnome before it was ruined)  and KDE.

Basically it is the non-systemd fork of Arch.  Packages are done with Pacman and you can use the official repo's or AUR using Yay.  Since it is derived from Arch, it has everything you can imagine.  However you pick what you want, it comes very basic, which I love.  For example, I had to install the archive manager for zip and tar.  Didn't come with it, but installed in a few seconds with Pacman.

I'm also really liking Xfrce.  Seems to do everything I want with a lot less bloat.

Only real problem I had was installing Libre Office.  A library dependency was not available.  I used Git and compiled it myself.  No problems after that.  By the way the non-linear solver in Calc is pretty slick.  Already used it on a project.

Anyhow, if you are looking for a non-systemd Linux, take a look at this distro.  Insall was fast and easy.

TheReturnofLive:
But I need Microsoft to know how many photos I look at per day.

Greg:
I would like to take the OP back to the 1950s and see if the could make head of tail of it.

james03:

--- Quote ---I would like to take the OP back to the 1950s and see if the could make head of tail of it.
--- End quote ---

TL;DR version:

Many people come to LInux to escape the bloat, spying, and instability of Windows.  Not long ago Linux was infiltrated and systemd was added.  Systemd basically turns Linux into Windows and is a security nightmare.  I'm discussing a new version of Linux that goes back to the pre-systemd days, i.e. a return to the Unix philosophy: each part does something simple and does it well.

Greg:

--- Quote from: Greg on September 26, 2020, 11:47:28 PM ---I would like to take the OP back to the 1950s and see if they could make head or tail of it.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version