The Parish Hall > The Geek Forum

How old is your computer?

(1/2) > >>

Philip G.:
How old is your computer?  And, who here is using the oldest laptop/computer on the forum?  I am curious, because I use old computers, and may end up taking the cake. 

Up until a few months ago, I had been using old laptops made before 2010 with linux operating systems installed.  And, I was content.  A few months ago my old dell died, and I was given a new HP laptop.  And, I hate it.  The screen is an led screen, and like all other led technology, it makes my eyes hurt.  As a result, I learned that around 2010 screen technology completed the switch across the board to LED screen technology from the older CCFL technology(cold cathode florescent light).  Ever since I got this new laptop my sleep has been bad, and it got worse when I got a new bedroom LED lightbulb to replace the old one that was not LED, making me suspicious of LED as being the problem.  In sum, I would certainly say I have suffered from insomnia these past few months.   I have pulled all nighters.  But, it is also in part to the fact that I have night time asthma that can get pretty bad.

A week ago, I acquired some really old laptops that I have been considering investing in mainly because they have CCFL screens.  I got rid of my LED lightbulbs, and I am getting rid of LED computer screens.  So, now I have two really old laptops.  One is a NOS dell 4100 from 2001 with 256mb or ram with a 1024mb max which I will invest in to meet the max.  And, the other is a sony vaio pcg-k25 from 2004 with similar specs.  These are pretty old.  Puppy linux barely works on the sony, and it doesn't properly work on the dell, but I think that is because it is 64 bit, and I installed a 32 bit version of a 300mb linux onto a current 256mb system.  Both laptops can only make use of 1024mb max.  I think once I do that, they will handle most lightweight linux OS's without much problem.  And, most importantly I like the screens.  I really do. 

I would go a desktop route if they still made ccfl monitors I could buy new, but they don't.  So, I am going to attempt to use one of these old laptops from before 2005. 

Does it take the cake?  Is there anyone else on this forum using CCFL screen technology?

MundaCorMeum:
I have a Dell laptop that I got 11 years ago that I still use.  I have a newer one, as well, since my old one is pretty slow.  But, it still functions and we do still use it for stuff regularly.

Philip G.:

--- Quote from: MundaCorMeum on August 03, 2020, 02:04:33 PM ---I have a Dell laptop that I got 11 years ago that I still use.  I have a newer one, as well, since my old one is pretty slow.  But, it still functions and we do still use it for stuff regularly.

--- End quote ---

As old as that is, it might be a CCFL screen.  What operating system do you have on it?

MundaCorMeum:
Windows XP, version 2002

Prayerful:
Not me, maybe three years, but with graphics card, power unit, extra HDDs, ram added.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version