Bricklayers in UK making $1600 a week

Started by Greg, December 09, 2014, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

How long is the training?
I'd go lay bricks for $1600 a week
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

I don't think there is training.

You show up for interview and have to be able to lay bricks straight and clean at a certain speed.  If you can't keep up, then it slows down the other people so they fire you.

Looking a Portugal I can envisage British housing estates with mortar and acid marks dribbling down the face of the bricks.  Spain is even worse mind you.  That is why they render everything afterwards.

It's really not rocket science to lay bricks.  Just a question of learning the techniques from a book and then practice, practice, practice.  The problem is that unless you lay them all the time you slow down.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

It is brutal and inconsistent work. Sounds great. 1600 dollars a week. How many weeks a year? How many years could the average man do it. Most blue collar workers are not prone to eating healthy and keeping the caps on the brewskies.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Greg

That's true of many a construction job.  Plastering is back breaking work too.  That is why I work in technology, because my telephone and computer mouse are light and my Aeron chair is comfy.

And it is also why I have always suggested that people learn a wide variety of skills, underpinned with the skill to be adaptable and positive and make themselves useful.  If homeschooling doesn't teach you this then it was a mistake.  I am sure homeschooling could teach it, however.

The last thing any business owner needs is to wet nurse an incompetent apocalyptic nutter who wishes he was living in a feudal society and needs on the job training to wipe his own ass.

Want to impress the boss?  Solve the problems yourself without bothering him.  Then tell him how you did it.  Employees like that always have work and always get hired in new fields.

That is what the boss wants.  It is why large companies hire my firm, to sort out the problems that their own paid employees can't sort out or as often as not have caused by being stupid.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Greg on December 11, 2014, 12:12:58 AM
Want to impress the boss?  Solve the problems yourself without bothering him.  Then tell him how you did it.  Employees like that always have work and always get hired in new fields.

This is how I got the position I'm in right now.  Technically not qualified (I don't have much experience in the field), but I've shown myself a hard, committed, and competent worker who gets along with almost everyone in the office, and I've impressed the boss/hiring manager.

:)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

Armor of Light

Quote from: Greg on December 11, 2014, 12:12:58 AM
That's true of many a construction job.  Plastering is back breaking work too.  That is why I work in technology, because my telephone and computer mouse are light and my Aeron chair is comfy.

Steelcase makes much better chairs than Herman Miller!
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

Greg

I have both, and I disagree.

My ass sweats a lot less in the Aeron and the Steelcase chair is impossibly heavy.

Armor of Light

Quote from: Greg on December 11, 2014, 11:52:54 AM
I have both, and I disagree.

My ass sweats a lot less in the Aeron and the Steelcase chair is impossibly heavy.

I'm a Product Engineer at Steelcase. I worked as a PE in the chair plant until they shipped production to Mexico. What SC chair do you have? Some are better than others. They are heavy though...We make them that way!
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

Greg

I have a model 4621210X made in Grand Rapids, MI

Can't complain though I only paid $15 for it on ebay and it looks like new.

My daughter likes it anyway.

Armor of Light

Quote from: Greg on December 11, 2014, 12:25:24 PM
I have a model 4621210X made in Grand Rapids, MI

Can't complain though I only paid $15 for it on ebay and it looks like new.

My daughter likes it anyway.

Ahh. yes, the Leap chair. Good chair alright. I never liked that as much as some. It was s'posed to be the top-of-the-line, but my favorite for comfort and durability is Amia (482 series). The Think chair is the SC mesh back super chair, and it is my least favorite. My ass does not sweat much though! I get killer deals on all that stuff over at employee sales!

Thomas à Kempis