learn to code

Started by Tennessean, April 02, 2023, 05:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessean

I will learn to code, in c, python, whatever, but I don't know anything about coding at the moment. Where do I start? What books? No videos, please. I want to make everything from websites to 3D vidygames. What am I in for?

andy

Coding this days is a commodity. Assembling software from building blocks is a king.

Check this vlog https://www.youtube.com/@TechWorldwithNana out.

Python

Heinrich

He said no videos.

And OP, if you are career changing w/o a CS degree, i.e. math, you won't be attractive to employers until you get at least years of solid portfolio work.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

clau clau

I would "learn to sell".  It is much more valuable than learning to code.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

andy

I have been in the business since 8bit and have seen actual minicomputers. Different things sell over the time. Nobody needs a computer scientist  writing specialized algorithms any more. We are more like an assembly line workers putting together stuff "in the cloud" which we learned of YT videos these days.

james03

Python, C, and Go are the heavy lifters.  The "Sam's teaches you" series of books are good, e.g Sam Teaches You C.  I'd start with C.  C does a lot of the back end work on servers.  Getting your first job will be the problem.  For learning, set up a Linux computer as all the software is available for free.  You'll need an IDE.  I like Geany myself.

If you think you like programming there is a better option as far as ease of getting a good paying job, which is PLC programming.  PLCs are kind of like dedicated specialized computers that run control systems in everything like power plants, oil refineries, manufacturing, etc... and they need to be programmed and maintained.  If you want to be out in the field working with men, you can do that.  Or you can work from an office.

This is the course schedule:

1.  PLC Programming I and II.  Online Univ. of Houston
2.  Basic Networking.  Any program that teaches IPv4.  Control systems run on networks, so you need to know the basics.
3.  MODBUS Protocol (It's a language used universally across networks.  2- day course at a hotel ball room kind of gig, or anything online.
4.  Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), especially Allen Bradley/Rockwell.  Again should be a 1-week program.  These are smart electrical boxes that allow you to control the speed of electric motors.  Usually paired with a PLC.
5.  Optional.  If you have time, take a basic Industrial Controls/Electronics course.  Univ. of Houston probably offers one.  Take it at the same time as the PLC course.  Both are online and you can set your pace.

Then use the Univ. of Houston career center to get the first job.  Do a job search "PLC Technician" for Texas and see how many job opening there are.  Pays well.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Heinrich

Look into Salesforce or Service Now platforms. Core certs with room for growth and creativity.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

Websites:  HTML, javascript, React, CSS

Games: C, Lua

Wikipedia has articles on each for an overview.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Heinrich

The problem with this poster is that he solicits life vests because he hates his job he drowning in/stays with, but never responds cordially to any help being offered. Among the brethren here, he has received premier level advice and is completely AWOL. Not the first time.