Catholic father of 6 advising Trump on Supreme Court Nomination

Started by Greg, July 07, 2018, 01:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elizabeth

Quote from: Richard Malcolm on July 10, 2018, 08:05:07 PM

I hope it's clear that when I said "conservative-leaning," it wasn't meant as a compliment!

I got all riled up at the thought! ;D
Thanks for clarifying.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

Quote from: james03 on July 10, 2018, 11:08:25 AM
QuoteJustices Thomas, Alito, Roberts, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh.
Roberts voted against DOMA.  Also he cooked up some hairbrained excuse for Obamacare.  I think he is blackmailed.

Kavanaugh is probably better than Kennedy.  We have a minor shift Right.  I think Roberts will allow some tweaking, but RvW stands until we get one more.  Hopefully the Red Wave gives us an improvement in the Senate and we get 1-2 more picks that are more hard line.  Right now we have 4 conservatives (after Kavanaugh makes it).  We might end up with 6.  And I'd like to see Clarence Thomas retire during Trump's term.

QuoteTrump didn't even look like he was especially pleased, he put on his game face but it didn't have his enthusiasm level when he really believes in what he's doing versus doing a step in a process.
Trump only has about 48 Repub votes he can count on.  With Kavanaugh he has a good shot of picking up 1 or 2 more, and a Red State dem.

This is a political move.  If Kavanaugh goes down, the Red States will be seriously pissed and you'll get high turn out.  If Kavanaugh wins, it will demoralize the Left, and help take down Red State dems in congress.  Trump needs to do this before Nov elections.  It's political on his part.

Ginsburg won't last long.  Then we'll get a solid shift on SCOTUS.

Makes sense.  Trump is a cunning bastard.  You might well be right.  I can just see him dummying his enemies who, at this stage, would probably object if he picked a liberal, just because they were Trump' s choice.

How are they reacting to the pick?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

james03

Total melt down.  It's fun to watch. 

There's a slight chance Trump believes he'll lose the vote and is throwing Kavanaugh to the dogs; which will really rile up his base and result in a conservative land slide in November.   Make large gains in the Senate, then go with the Evangelical Catholic chick (who's at least hard line social conservative).  I give that a small chance because I think Kavanaugh is really a conservative.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

longstrangetrip5

Quote from: Greg on July 08, 2018, 12:51:35 PM
I bet after 7 children (5 natural and 2 adopted) she won't let abortion stand.  Regardless of the law.

the law?

Roe v Wade is not a law, it is a violation of the Constitution wherein we find a Right to Life (Liberty, etc) but no right to kill your children. The justices made up this right outside the Constitution they swore to uphold. It is a fake thing that needs to be done away with..

Greg

If it is not the law then why do you need a supreme court majority decision to overturn it?

The constitution is just something men (revolutionaries no less) in powdered wigs made up.  Men can change the laws of other men and frequently have throughout history.

If by some miracle the Roman Catholic Church ran a fascist or distributist American state and ordained Christ their King from sea to shining sea, pretty much all of you would use the constitution for toilet paper.  It was not carried down on the wings of angels.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

dellery

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 10, 2018, 03:57:21 PM
an appellate court is different than the Supreme Court, to be fair.

Apparently, he's praised the dissent in Roe v Wade, as well.

Furthermore, if Kavanaugh were to outright denounce Roe v. Wade and signal his intention to support overturning it he'd actually sabotage his prospects for the the nomination he currently holds.

In fact, it's best not to attempt overturning Roe v. Wade, but to further elucidate and recognize Infant Rights, thus creating a legal contradiction to be resolved.

Make the baby-killers forcefully pronounce that infants have no rights.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Jacob

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

dolores

Quote from: james03 on July 10, 2018, 11:08:25 AM
Roberts voted against DOMA.

He did?  When?  DOMA itself was declared partially unconstitutional in 2013 by United States v. Windsor, but Roberts dissented from that ruling.  He also dissented from Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015.

longstrangetrip5

[quote US.

Makes sense.  Trump is a cunning bastard. 

QuoteLOL

Quotewould probably object if he picked a liberal, just because they were Trump' s choice.

yes, the Left is all about Trump hate and POLITICS. Did u see the Strzok hearings today? OMG! All those Dems cared about and I mean ALL THEY CARED ABOUT was POLITICS.

according to them

Truth & justice can go to Hell