Canada 150

Started by Jayne, July 01, 2017, 07:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Today is the 150th anniversary of the nation of Canada.  And I have the T-shirt to prove it.

In honour of this auspicious occasion, I am starting this thread.  Maybe we can get 150 posts on it.

I know that some of you don't like Canada, eh?  Sorry.  But please be nice.  (There is a T-shirt for that too.)

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

And now for a song that captures the spirit of Canadian patriotism:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOM-TmZBzZo&feature=youtu.be[/yt]

Pheo

I try to like Canada, I really do.  But it's becoming a lot more difficult lately!

But I can say 'Happy Dominion Day' - no problem :)
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Jayne

Quote from: Pheo on July 01, 2017, 07:27:48 AM
I try to like Canada, I really do.  But it's becoming a lot more difficult lately!

But I can say 'Happy Dominion Day' - no problem :)

I know what you mean.

For those who prefer the "Happy Dominion Day" option, I recommend this version of the Canadian flag:

Jayne

Since I posted a song that emphasizes Canadian geography, we need a video about Canadian history too:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAwkwc73pgM[/yt]

Mono no aware

This sesquicentennial upon which you celebrate your history and your heritage might also be a good time to acknowledge your faults.  It's time to apologize for Rush and Alanis Morissette.  Would it be wrong if you put them inside wicker men and burned them alive?  Because that would be some serious festivities.  Flames leaping high into the night; the primal, keening, lupine howls of the revelers.  And the endless flowing of beer.  You can do this, Canada.

Jayne

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 01, 2017, 07:37:23 AM
This sesquicentennial upon which you celebrate your history and your heritage might also be a good time to acknowledge your faults.  It's time to apologize for Rush and Alanis Morissette.  Would it be wrong if you put them inside wicker men and burned them alive?  Because that would be some serious festivities.  Flames leaping high into the night; the primal, keening, lupine howls of the revelers.  And the endless flowing of beer.  You can do this, Canada.

Well, isn't that ironic, eh?

Chestertonian

wrong. Rush is one of Canadas crowning achievements
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Mono no aware

Quote from: Chestertonian on July 01, 2017, 07:46:41 AM

wrong. Rush is one of Canadas crowning achievements

I think I see some room left in one of those wicker men, Chestertonian.  I would miss you dearly, but between Rush and Sufjan Stevens, you're really pushing it.

I would say Neil Young is Canada's crowning achievement, musically.  David Cronenberg and Atom Egoyan are her best filmmakers.

Jayne

No discussion of Canada's contribution to the arts is complete without mentioning William Shatner:

In this picture from Star Trek he poses in a flattering V-neck uniform and tribbles.

Mono no aware

:lol:

I didn't know Shatner was Canadian.  That's a great picture.

Jayne

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 01, 2017, 08:07:19 AM
:lol:

I didn't know Shatner was Canadian.  That's a great picture.

Just about everyone looks good in tribbles.

maryslittlegarden

You forgot Justin Bieber.

Although Shatner is a plus.  And Christopher Plummer
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

martin88nyc

Alanis Morissette?- is it because of her scandalous music videos or because you don't like her songs or voice.

PS: I love Canadian scenery, landscape, health care system and of course the Canadian mounted police ;)
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Jayne

Quote from: martin88nyc on July 01, 2017, 09:08:49 AM
Alanis Morissette?- is it because of her scandalous music videos or because you don't like her songs or voice.

Alanis Morissette butchered the English language by misusing the word "ironic" in her eponymous song.  This would have been bad enough, but she also violated one of the most basic principles of Canadian life by not doing the same thing to the French language.

Quote from: martin88nyc on July 01, 2017, 09:08:49 AM
PS: I love Canadian scenery, landscape, health care system and of course the Canadian mounted police ;)

Normally I would say, "Don't get me started on Mounties," but we need 150 posts on this thread.