Good Morning!!

Started by Carleendiane, September 22, 2016, 06:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carleendiane

Quote from: Bernadette on February 24, 2017, 01:11:20 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on February 24, 2017, 11:12:00 AM
Mundane that is totally the idea! Guess we think alike! Was real cute to see them scaling for good deeds so Jesus would not sufFer a single toothpick by the end of lent. It was a very positive experience to sooth our Lord with good works!

How old were they when you started this?

12 down to 4. It really for all ages.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Carleendiane on February 24, 2017, 01:36:31 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on February 24, 2017, 01:11:20 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on February 24, 2017, 11:12:00 AM
Mundane that is totally the idea! Guess we think alike! Was real cute to see them scaling for good deeds so Jesus would not sufFer a single toothpick by the end of lent. It was a very positive experience to sooth our Lord with good works!

How old were they when you started this?

12 down to 4. It really for all ages.

Yep.  I can't remember exactly when we started, but the oldest few were pretty young.  It's always interesting to me to see them really get it that our sins are the thorns.  It stirs up real sorrow and purpose of amendment. 

dymphna17

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on February 24, 2017, 10:51:21 AM
Quote from: Carleendiane on February 24, 2017, 09:46:56 AM
Good idea , Munda. One year I got a poster of Christ with the crown of thorns. We glued it to a piece of styrogfoam. We filled it with tooth picks. Every good deed done by the children allowed them to remove a tooth pick to bring Christ relief. Worked well. Kids liked the idea of sparing our Lord pain.

We do something similar.  We make a crown of thorns out of salt dough, and put toothpicks in it for the thorns, which are removed by prayers and sacrifices.  It stays on our dining room table all through Lent.  Then, on Easter morning, the jar with the crown of thorns turns into sweets.  The miracle of God's grace!  He turns our sacrifices into something better.

My friend with the 13 kids and I made Lenten calendars (like the Advent ones) for several years, but this idea of making a crown of thorns with dough and then using toothpicks is brilliant!  It's much more visual, which, with little ones makes much more of an impact. Did they have to put toothpicks in when they had done something wrong?  Or are they just thorns because of the Crown of Thorns?
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Bernadette

Quote from: dymphna17 on February 24, 2017, 02:37:34 PM
Good idea , Munda. One year I got a poster of Christ with the crown of thorns. We glued it to a piece of styrogfoam. We filled it with tooth picks. Every good deed done by the children allowed them to remove a tooth pick to bring Christ relief. Worked well. Kids liked the idea of sparing our Lord pain.

We do something similar.  We make a crown of thorns out of salt dough, and put toothpicks in it for the thorns, which are removed by prayers and sacrifices.  It stays on our dining room table all through Lent.  Then, on Easter morning, the jar with the crown of thorns turns into sweets.  The miracle of God's grace!  He turns our sacrifices into something better.

My friend with the 13 kids and I made Lenten calendars (like the Advent ones) for several years, but this idea of making a crown of thorns with dough and then using toothpicks is brilliant!  It's much more visual, which, with little ones makes much more of an impact. Did they have to put toothpicks in when they had done something wrong?  Or are they just thorns because of the Crown of Thorns?

That... actually makes me uncomfortable. :-[ But it's probably effective.
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

Quote from: Bernadette on February 24, 2017, 04:49:24 PM
Quote from: dymphna17 on February 24, 2017, 02:37:34 PM

That... actually makes me uncomfortable. :-[ But it's probably effective.

I can kind of see it both ways, which is why I asked.  I know of people who were taught about hell by placing their hands over a lit candle.  Some were deeply affected by it in a good way, some were horrified and claim they lost their Faith because of it.  To me, if anything, this would just be in the middle, mild but effective.  But I'm not raising children, so, there's that.   :shrug:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

orate

Good morning,everyone.

I'd be careful about putting toothpicks in for sins, especially with the very young. 

When I was about 4 I had a catechism book that said that sinning was like hammering nails into the tree.  One could pull them out but the holes still remained.  Right above it was a picture of Jesus' face with the crown of thorns.  My child's mind mixed up the two images, thinking that when I sinned I was pounding nails into our Lord's head. 

It saddened me so much that I had nightmares for days about pounding nails into our Lord's holy head.
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Carleendiane

Wow orate, I can not remember being so moved, as a child Good Morning!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Hey, I injected myself with no trouble, other than it fell out and I had to jab again. Yahoo! I did it.

orate

Quote from: Carleendiane on February 25, 2017, 08:03:45 AM
Hey, I injected myself with no trouble, other than it fell out and I had to jab again. Yahoo! I did it.

WooHoo!!! Knew you could do it!
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Carleendiane

Carleendiane

Dymphna, I can always count on you flying in with some uplift or funny contribution to the thread! Orate, lynne, non, birdie, mlg, munda, and Ches, and many I missed . Thanks for your sweet contributions!

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on February 25, 2017, 10:56:18 AM
Dymphna, I can always count on you flying in with some uplift or funny contribution to the thread! Orate, lynne, non, birdie, mlg, munda, and Ches, and many I missed . Thanks for your sweet contributions!

You mean like this?

Of course!  We've got your back.  You'll be returning soon anyway.  No worries.   ;)
?

dymphna17

I'm going to go ahead and post this here, now because I don't want to forget it.   Maybe it would bring peace to the many families whose relatives are distraught over the crisis in the Church, those who have lost family members, and military members

?

orate

Up and at 'em, everyone.  Time to get ready for Mass.

Pray for me today at Mass, and I'll offer my Mass up for all of you.

Carleendiane

Please pray for my family. Something sinister creeping through my house. Causing relationship harm.